UKC

UKC Winter Conditions Report - Ben Nevis 7/1/2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 07 Jan 2016
I guess no one is going to write a report today. It's been rather quiet on the Ben. Seen a large group of people trekking up towards CIC hut, but I am not sure what they were up to. I've met only two dudes walking up the tourist path and there seemed to be very few footprints on the fresh snow.

A lot of rain and heavy wind in the morning in lower areas. The snow line dropped fairly significantly as it was snowing pretty much all morning higher up the hill. There is a little bit of snow on the nearby mountains. The whiteout was quite bad on the plateau and everything (including my jacket) froze up near the summit.

The approach and beginning Number Five Gully (I) became a real struggle with a lot of powder, even though the temperatures lower in the gullies were still above freezing. The wind was fairly insignificant after 11AM and I tackled the Ledge Route (II) as visibility wasn't too bad in the end. It seemed a lot better option than powdery gullies, for sure.

In south side of the Ben, the powder was knee deep. I reckon that's due to wind rather than heavy snowfall. Apparently, it is fun to run down the pony trail until you hit a rock.

That's some of my (punter's) thoughts as I doubt guides were doing much today. I have never done a report nor I am the most experienced winter climber, but after a shower and some refreshments, I feel a duty to write one. The conditions are a lot more different than they were on Tuesday.

Some pictures: http://m.imgur.com/a/EJ2Oq
 Sean Kelly 07 Jan 2016
In reply to PPP:

Spoke to someone on Monday who was hoping to do Tower Ridge last Wednesday, but not heard any news since. We're still waiting for that continental high after a good dump of snow.
 CurlyStevo 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It probably won't be that great yet to be honest. It's at its best mid season when its snowed a lot and consolidated.
OP PPP 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I've done very little snow/ice climbing (some more of walking and skiing abroad though), but I'm very impressed with the current conditions on the Ben.

Unfortunately, logistics for a car-less person aren't that great. Should have stayed at CIC hut, I suppose.
 Michael Gordon 07 Jan 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Done it in great nick in December before!
 Mike Pescod 07 Jan 2016
In reply to PPP:

Hi PPP, sorry I was a bit slow with a Ben Nevis update. I was in Glen Coe today but things are improving on Ben Nevis. Ledge Route must have been fun today.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=632087

Mike
OP PPP 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Pescod:

That's cool, I just felt so lonely on the Ben today that I thought maybe everyone was wise enough to stay somewhere warm instead! Even my partner for today ditched me at the CIC Hut (which I thought was reasonable)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...