UKC

Sport climbing Turkey - Adana / Gaziantep area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kenneM 07 Jan 2016
I am going to be working in Turkey for the next few months and I am wondering if anyone has any experience of the climbing around Adana / Gaziantep. Sport climbing / bouldering would be preferable.

Any info including any local point of contact would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike
 Big Steve 07 Jan 2016
In reply to kenneM:

Its a pity my Turkish climbing website is currently offline, everything you could want to know is on there. In the meantime, the best place to look for Gaziantep info is in the Climb Travel turkey guidebook, not sure where you could buy it now, but here is the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Climb-Travel-Turkey-Zuleyha-Geels/dp/B009PKDQ9S/ref...

I can scan the pages for you from my copy if you want, and when I can log on to my PC and find the relevant webpage files, I can give you some Adana info.

If you definately want to go, be very very careful at the moment in Adana, you will not be far from the Syrian border and there are thousands of Syrians there, some of which are IS. You may even find you are restricted on where you can go at the moment.

I havent been to Gaziantep, but the warning is the same. the FCO are warning against go there:
"The FCO advise against all travel to within 10km of the border with Syria. The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the remaining areas of Sirnak, Mardin, Sanlurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis and Hatay provinces"

Take this seriously, I was living in Turkey for the last few years until earlier last year when my (Turkish) wife and I moved back to UK for safety reasons.

If you want to try sport and bouldering a little of the beaten track in Turkey, have you looked at the Izmir area, apart from being very safe the climbing is fantastic and not often visited by Europeans. Bafa Golu (a little further south) has superb bouldering, and the sport routes at Kaynaklar not far from Izmir are worth visiting. There are several Youtube vidoes of James Pearson clinbing there,
youtube.com/watch?v=4qX2jc61O1Y& Bafa bouldering
youtube.com/watch?v=zJuJPW3GAtI& Kaynaklar
OP kenneM 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

Many thanks for all the info - I have sent you a mail.

Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...