UKC

Climbing specific compact camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 08 Jan 2016
I seem to have killled my Sony RX100 (Mark 1) with dampness and will need to replace it.
The obvious thing would be to get another one (since the later versions came out, this now seems very good value at at about £250), but I am wondering if there is now anything else out there I should be considering without paying a silly amount.

It would be used about 80% on technical climbing days, living in a small padded pouch on my harness.
It must be truly compact.
I am not prepared to compromise on the Sony's exceptional image quality (at least if it is noticeable).
It must have easily accessible exposure compensation and manual control.
Raw capability preferable (since I intend to get to grips with Raw soon)
A viewfinder would be ideal, but probably unrealistic without compromising too much on size and cost.
Better weather proofing would be welcome (obviously.....).

Are the later versions of the RX100 or any other cameras worth considering?
 HeMa 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Newer version of Sony or the LX100 or something from Panasonic.

GM5 might just fit the bill, but in honesty with the lenses it'll be to bulky and too fiddly me thinks.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2016

I have had the RX100 (3) since last year and have been really impressed with it. The reach from the lens is less 24-70 but the focusing, image quality and nifty little pop-up view-finder are all markedly improved on the Mk 1

Chris
OP Robert Durran 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> I have had the RX100 (3) since last year and have been really impressed with it. The reach from the lens is less 24-70 but the focusing, image quality and nifty little pop-up view-finder are all markedly improved on the Mk 1

Worth the extra £200?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2016

> Worth the extra £200?

I would say so - with the proviso that I bought mine in Andorra fro £350

Chris
 Toerag 08 Jan 2016

Ricoh GR?
 pff 08 Jan 2016
I use an Olympus tough waterproof camera. Climbing i put a spare prussic on it and wear it around my neck and pop inside the neck of my top. Kayaking its in my buoyancy aid. It takes a fair bit of hardship between salt water and banging against rock. No idea if its got the tech spec you need.
Post edited at 10:02
 d_b 08 Jan 2016
In reply to HeMa:
> Newer version of Sony or the LX100 or something from Panasonic.

> GM5 might just fit the bill, but in honesty with the lenses it'll be to bulky and too fiddly me thinks.

I'll second that. The panasonic lx- series are v good cameras. Nice lenses, good enough sensors for reasonable long exposure and fairly good ergonomics. My previous camera was an LX7, which gave great results in daytime and was reasonable for long exposures after dark.

I have been getting good results with a fujifilm x-30 recently, but it's a bit of a mixed bag.

On the plus side it has an excellent lens and sensor, and build seems quite tough.

Downsides are that it's a bit chunky, isn't great for 1 handed operations, and some bone headed software decisions have made it useless for night time work.

That last one would have been a deal breaker if I had known before paying out and taking it on holiday. Ho hum.
Post edited at 10:28
OP Robert Durran 10 Jan 2016
Thanks to all for suggestions. I think, in the interests of economy and because I really liked the original one, I'll probably just get another RX100 Mark 1 (though the Mark 3 does sound tasty!), and then just take more care of it with dampness even if it means, at some point, replacing my old waterproof/tough camera (which has also died now) for gnarly winter days and kayaking.

Dr.S at work 11 Jan 2016

> at some point, replacing my old waterproof/tough camera (which has also died now) for gnarly winter days and kayaking.

The current top of the line Olympus tough series camera takes RAW, fwtw
 Paul Evans 11 Jan 2016

Not wanting to complicate your decision making but - like Chris I have the Rx100iii and it is fab.

And Sony are running a cashback for the rx100iii and iv at the mo, £100 cashback on the iii if you purchase before 31st Jan. So you won't quite get as good a deal as Chris got, but it does make it significantly cheaper than list.

Good luck whatever you get!

Paul
OP Robert Durran 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work and Paul Evans

Thanks but too late! Already ordered another RX100 Mark 1. I would certainly have got the Mark 3 if it was my only camera but I have my XE-1 for almost everything apart from technical climbing. Not prepared to compromise on image quality with the Olympus Tough or similar, but may end up getting that or something similar in addition eventually to replace my dead Sony TX10 assuming it is irreparable (waiting to find out).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...