UKC

EU Referendum tomorrow - how would you vote?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 08 Jan 2016
A year ago I would have voted to stay in, now I'm not so sure and if the vote were tomorrow I think I'd vote Out.

How about you - In or Out?
 Sir Chasm 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Nobody has explained the benefits of leaving and how they would outweigh the kerfuffle involved.

What's changed your mind in the last year?
 robert-hutton 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
In - But not keen on being labelled from Sheffield, North, UK or European, I am me the same as you, but with differences
Post edited at 11:32
 RyanOsborne 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Can't see a single benefit of leaving that outweighs the huge economic dis-benefits, and what it says about us as a country. The way that the EU treated the Greece / the Greek people nearly swayed me last year, but I still think it's better for us to be in.
 MG 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. The grass is not greener.
 jkarran 08 Jan 2016
In.
OP Babika 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> What's changed your mind in the last year?

Very good question - and one I'm a little uneasy about answering...
Syria, terrorism, Grexit, a feeling of wanting to be in charge of our own destiny.....

I did a straw poll amongst 4 climbing friends in a café (2 Labour, 2 Tory) and 3 were now "Out" as opposed to a year ago and only 1 in. So I was curious how the wider UKC world felt. We are essentially random bunch although perhaps the open border travel issue is an influential factor for more travel minded people.

Doug 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

in
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Globalisation is occuring at an unprecedented rate, why would we want to leave the party?
 skog 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.

I can't really see any advantages to leaving, apart from being able to rip up some regulations.

And, whilst that may well be of benefit to parts of the City and to certain types of businesses, many others would lose - and it seems likely to do far more to hurt most ordinary people than to help them, by weakening rights, and probably creating a bigger wealth gap.

Plus all the usual stuff about solidarity, helping make war less likely in Europe, and being part of a large block which has more ability to compete with and stand up to the other ones.
 petellis 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.

The EU is the only thing protecting us from our lovely Tory government working everybody like slaves. I don't really have a problem with sovereignty (although I do think westminster should sit for a lot less days now they have given powers to Brussels and the devolution) and despite a lot of the nonsense spouted the EU is pretty democratic. I also think EU migrants are the least of our worries and the proportion of them coming here as benefit claimants cost us so little as to be a non-issue that should be laughed at. it just isn't worth leaving the EU for. Cameron has backed us into a stupid corner over this and its a massive irrelevant distraction.
 petellis 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
> Very good question - and one I'm a little uneasy about answering...

> Syria, terrorism, Grexit, a feeling of wanting to be in charge of our own destiny.....

Interesting, I don't see how a Brexit would immunise us from a single one of those first 3 or enable the last one. This isn't meant to be combative but I think the concept that these or the solution to these are in any way related to being in or out of the EU is ridiculous. I think the Out campaign would like to make that connection in our heads but it doesn't really stand up to proper logical scrutiny.
Post edited at 12:11
OP Babika 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Interesting. 9 In 1 Out so far.

Looks like Cameron has nothing to worry about if UKC is at all representative of the general voting population. He should stop trundling round Europe and set the date right away!
 petellis 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

He should cancel it, have a vote of confidence from his party and then move on to something more important!
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Unfortunatley I think UKC tends to not reflect the general electorate - a huge extrapolation/guess would suggest that most climbers tend to reside in the north of the UK (and Wales) which are traditionally Labour or SNP lands - both of which would gravitate towards remaining in the EU.

Personally I'd like to see a more unified Europe than we currently have, potentially even working under a more federal system.
 GridNorth 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I honestly do not know. I would like someone to put forward the arguments in an unbiased way. I voted in the first referendum but feel as though we have been hoodwinked into a system that I would not have voted for. It's currently undemocratic, top heavy, unrepresentative and overly bureaucratic and quite possibly corrupt. Unless there are major changes I would vote for out.

Al
 Lord_ash2000 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm still undecided, I'm a conservative voter and I've very much for us as a nation being in control of our destiny and boarders (for better or worse). But beyond that I've very little factual information on which to base a judgement and I'd like to think I'm more politically aware than the average man on the street.

So how would I vote tomorrow? I honestly don't know, maybe I'd vote out just for the sake of something different but I don't think until the cross is drawn in the box that either option is out of the window for me yet.

What do I think the outcome will be? 60-40 to stay in is my guess.

JMGLondon 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.

I work in a business with lots of European markets and offices. Free movement is very important. Also, given Cameron's failure to secure a better deal thus far, I highly doubt his ability to negotiate a decent free trade deal if we leave the EU.

neilh 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.

Simple really form a business perspective the market makes things so simple to trade its unreal.

Anybody out there who exports /imports will understand this.

So its just not worth giving this up as it may affect our economic prosperity.Inward investment from countrys outside Europe would probably shift away.
 The New NickB 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Out presents no real advantages and an awful lot of headaches and potentially some long term problems.
 RyanOsborne 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
> a feeling of wanting to be in charge of our own destiny.....

I don't often agree with David Cameron, but I think he's right in that leaving the EU would make us less in charge of our own destiny. If we are to maintain any meaningful trade with the EU, then we will have to abide by the EU's trade rules, like Norway and Switzerland do. But like Norway and Switzerland, we won't have a say in writing those rules.

In terms of Syria and terrorism, I don't think it's membership of the EU that puts us at risk of that, but membership of NATO.
Post edited at 13:01
In reply to Babika:

In.
 malky_c 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In - for pretty much the same reasons Skog mentions upthread.
 Mike Stretford 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika: In.

Pete Pozman 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Love my county and country and also love being 100% European. UKIP assert that the Commonwealth offers as much in terms of cultural and economic benefits as the EU. I bet they're not thinking Nigeria etc. We need more unity in the world not a version of 19th/20th century nationalism that ruined the lives of millions.
 Dave Garnett 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.
 teflonpete 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In, as we are, but no further in.
 hang_about 08 Jan 2016
In reply to teflonpete:

In
 Trangia 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In - unless or until someone can convince me as to the benefits of out.
Removed User 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.
KevinD 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Out

Reason: to try and save ukclimbing from imploding due to near enough everyone agreeing on something.
 Clarence 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In, I don't trust British governments of any party without another body to hold them to account.
In reply to skog:

In. But with teflonpete's caveat:

> In, as we are, but no further in.

> I can't really see any advantages to leaving, apart from being able to rip up some regulations.

Any regulations regarding any products we trade with EU countries will still have to be compliant with EU regs. So, we will still have to comply with EU regs, but we will have absolutely no say in formulating those regs...

Something a Norwegian Trade Minister sounded rather pained about when interviewed on the Today programme a few months ago...
In reply to Clarence:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm not sure that the EC is that accountable. Certainly not in its financial accounting...
 Bulls Crack 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

You vote Tory and want to control boarders - public school?
In reply to Babika:

In. Although I would like to see some tweaks on power and who ultimately has control over us.

In general though we stand stronger together both the UK in the EU and the EU with the UK in it.
 RyanOsborne 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> maybe I'd vote out just for the sake of something different

Given the huge impact it would have on millions of people, maybe you'd be better off not voting at all if this is the kind of reason you'd use to determine how to vote.
In reply to Babika:

Out - I want us to leave the EU and move somewhere warmer.
 Alyson 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In, for all sorts of practical reasons. I can't think of a single reason to leave which stands up to scrutiny.
 hokkyokusei 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.
 Timmd 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
I think England would be worse off if it left the EU (Scotland Wales & Ireland could decide they don't want to be outside of the EU).

I think we possibly need to have (more) dialogue with Brussels when it comes to what rules we live under though.

In for me.

I think we'd be out in the wilderness if we left the EU.
Post edited at 16:32
 RyanOsborne 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Interesting poll data here:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/06/big-dividing-lines-eu-age-education-an...

Although the most amazing thing is that nearly 30% of UKIP voters want to stay in the EU...
 Mr Lopez 08 Jan 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Ha, ha. I like how that last grouping worked out. I wonder of it's representatvie in all all other aspects...
 arch 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Out.

Fraser 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:
What I find more interesting from that data (aside from the fact that 30% of UKIP voters are to stupid to acknowledge the raison d'etre of their miserable outfit) is that overwhelmingly the older members of our society who do not have to live with the outcome of the referendum for as long as younger voters want to leave. In contrast, younger voters who may well not bother to vote (although that's another issue) may be stuck with an irreversible decision we don't want decided by what-will-be the generation before us.
Post edited at 17:28
 Jim Fraser 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN, IN
 Martin Hore 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

If only the electorate for the EU referendum was restricted to UKC members - not very democratic I know, but I really fear a No result.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the UKC responses. Climbers and mountaineers, at least the ones I know, tend to have broader than average horizons, least bigoted attitudes and a more rational approach to political issues (despite occasional posts to the contrary on this forum).

I believe that political decisions should be taken as close to home as possible, but for some of the most important decisions - regulating the excesses of multi-national companies, negotiating favourable trade deals etc - the European level is the most "local" level at which effective decisions can be taken in today's world.

Many of the so-called "petty" European regulations that the No-sayers object to are actually there to protect European workers from the race to the bottom in wages and working conditions that could ensue if the level playing field of the single-market was removed.

And I would far rather live in a Europe where national differences are fought out in the corridors of Brussels than on the killing fields of Flanders.

I'm "In" for sure.

Martin

Neil Williams 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. The EU isn't without problems, but I see far greater problems in being outside.

It might have been better if we had had the "trading bloc" style relationship Switzerland has, but that ship has sailed.
 JEF 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Out.
 JEF 08 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> What I find more interesting from that data (aside from the fact that 30% of UKIP voters are to stupid to acknowledge the raison d'etre of their miserable outfit) is that overwhelmingly the older members of our society who do not have to live with the outcome of the referendum for as long as younger voters want to leave. In contrast, younger voters who may well not bother to vote (although that's another issue) may be stuck with an irreversible decision we don't want decided by what-will-be the generation before us.

I find myself in the EU for exactly the reasons you allude to, such is democracy I'm afraid
 Flinticus 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

In for me too, for similar reasons. A lot of the rules set by the EU have been to the benefit of the worker, consumer and individual living in society. Copmare that to what may hapen in a Tory led UK. I shudder.
 Pekkie 08 Jan 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> 'If we are to maintain any meaningful trade with the EU, then we will have to abide by the EU's trade rules, like Norway and Switzerland do. But like Norway and Switzerland, we won't have a say in writing those rules.'

>Not only that but Norway and Switzerland have to make financial contributions - because they rely on trade with the EU like we do and have no choice - that are almost as much as if they were members but with no say on policy. Crazy but true. There have been a number of articles in the better newspapers about this. In both countries most politicians and economists support entry but have been voted down in several referendums. This fact alone - that we would have to abide by EU policies and contribute almost as much but with no say - makes an in vote the only sane one. Not saying that the EU is perfect and shouldn't be reformed, of course.
 rossowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm more on the out side at the moment. My biggest concern is that once we vote to stay in, we will be in regardless of what changes are brought about. We won't ever get another opportunity to leave, and will be governed more and more by Brussels whether we like what they implement or not.

Economically we should be fine outside.

I don't think we are likely to lose any close allies by leaving, so our security situation should not worsen.

I don't see that many positives to staying in, but we will have a lot of rules and regulation removed if we leave.

But maybe that's just me.

It looks like it could trigger a second Scottish independence referendum though.

Brass Nipples 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I hate Brussel Sprouts, so I'm out
baron 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
Out.
This could be a chance to leave the sinking ship that is the Common Market, EEC, EC, EU
or whatever it calls itself these days.

Pmc
 Pekkie 08 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

>> 'Economically we should be fine outside.'

Most economists (see my post previous to yours) would strongly disagree with you. But what do they know? We do most of our trade with the EU and would have to accept whatever deal they offered us. Leaving could well lead to economic disaster.

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I don't think I'd vote. I didn't want a referendum.
 Andy Hardy 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In. Reform the EU from within. Mainly to annoy that braying R-sole Farage, and wonky dial Carswell. Yes people I am *that* shallow.
 rossowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

We would need to renegotiate our trade agreement with the EU, but they buy from us too so it is a two way thing.

The stat I read a little while ago was that we would be 2-3% worse off in five years if we were unable to get another trade agreement with the EU. I'll see if I can dig out the link. I'm pretty sure a new agreement would be dealt with quite quickly and if not 3% of gdp isn't a deal breaking amount to me.

Also, the UK has one of the largest financial sectors in the world, and if we stayed and Brussles brought in the planned financial transaction tax, we would likely see a capital flight from the UK leaving us worse off in any case.

They are all just predictions and anything could happen whichever way we go.
 rossowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32793642

Open Europe says worst case 0.8% worse, best case 1.6% better off by 2030 if we leave. Pretty marginal imo considering the other influences which could have a much bigger impact by then either way like the financial transaction tax.

But I do accept that there may be unforseens that could have a negative impact of we left.
Post edited at 20:19
Gone for good 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
Out. The EU is a failed social economic exercise that continues to operate as a Franco German monopoly over the rest of Europe, particularly those countries in the Euro. We are dictated to by unelected and unaccountable politicians who hold an unacceptable level of control over our countries finances, our legal system and our economy. To be frank I'm fed up hearing about how bad it would be for us to leave but no one can offer anything other than empty threats with no foundation. The EU needs the UK more than vice versa and the UK leaving will be the beginning of the collapse of this sleazy house of cards.
Post edited at 20:28
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Out. The EU is a bureaucratic monolith, which has tried to herd cats and failed..
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to MaxJEF:

Good point, I guess those voting today could well be in the over 50 category (although you may not be) and didn't have a chance to vote first time round.
 Martin Hore 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Out. The EU is a bureaucratic monolith, which has tried to herd cats and failed..

The EU has done a remarkably good job of herding cats that used to fight each other incessantly.

Martin

Interesting that the evening respondents show a majority for Out while the daytime respondents were almost unanimously for In.
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I don't think I'd vote. I didn't want a referendum.

Neither did I, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.
 Martin Hore 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I don't think I'd vote. I didn't want a referendum.

But if you didn't want a referendum (nor did I) you are presumably for In. If everyone who didn't want a referendum stays at home we'll be Out for sure. Please vote!

Martin.
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Interesting that the evening respondents show a majority for Out while the daytime respondents were almost unanimously for In.

The evening respondents are the ones who work during the day
 Pekkie 08 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

> 'We would need to renegotiate our trade agreement with the EU, but they buy from us too so it is a two way thing.
> They are all just predictions and anything could happen whichever way we go.'

Just one of the many articles on the subject.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/norway-eu-reality-uk-v...
 rossowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

That's interesting reading. If the UK were to go with a Norway style arrangment we would still need to abide by the vast majority of the rules and pay 94% of what we pay now, and we would have no influence in the bloc.

If it were really all that bad though Norway would simply join the EU. They are at liberty to do so, but have declined in two separate referendums.
 Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:
> But if you didn't want a referendum (nor did I) you are presumably for In.

Vaguely, yes. For me it's a purely economic argument - I don't give much of a toss about the democratic angle. I can't solve the economic equation, nor is the media transparent enough for me to make a confident decision on who best to trust to form my view.

Instinctively, I think Europe probably helps out a bit in terms of protecting our rights, but I don't think it does a brilliant job nor do I think that without EU law we'd be exploited much worse (e.g. the Lords have shown that they can provide decent checks on really awful policies).

So my vote - probably in - doesn't count for much. I just want the cleverest people to crunch the numbers and come up with the most compelling set of evidence (which I don't want to have to read through, thanks). OK, I'm talking about economists here, so maybe we should let them do that and then just do the opposite - that's more likely to be right!
Post edited at 21:18
 Mountain Llama 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika

In

Martin Hore 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> The evening respondents are the ones who work during the day

So does that mean "In" has more support amongst retired folk like me? - the opposite of what a lot of people were suggesting earlier?

The impression I get though is that quite a lot of people who work during the day still find time to contribute to this forum.

Martin
In reply to Babika:

In.
 Pekkie 09 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

> That's interesting reading. If the UK were to go with a Norway style arrangment we would still need to abide by the vast majority of the rules and pay 94% of what we pay now, and we would have no influence in the bloc.

> If it were really all that bad though Norway would simply join the EU. They are at liberty to do so, but have declined in two separate referendums.

There were several issues in the Norwegian and Swiss referendums - eg fish quotas with Norway and traditional neutrality with the Swiss (though that didn't stop Sweden joining). A democratic vote is quite often determined by emotional issues rather than self interest. The Tories would never win an election in the UK unless a significant percentage of the working class voted for them. I'm sticking with an 'In, though with as much reform as possible' vote. For instance, I don't see the need for increasing political union.
In reply to rossowen:

Norway used their oil money wisely, and are sitting on a huge mound of cash. Theirs is a somewhat different situation to ours. And, as I observed earlier, there is some frustration within government that their public keep rejecting EU membership. It isn't a rational vote, I don't think.
 rossowen 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Fair enough.

I think if it were possible to have an in vote with less political union I'd consider it, but the last time there was a vote decades ago it was for the EEC only and look where we are now. I think if we vote in again now we are committing to a federal EU with ever closer union, whether Dave gets what he wants or not, because the vote is once in a lifetime and the EU knows it.

The economic side of things are less concerning to me than the thought of being pulled in to a political union where we have effectively no say on anything because we are continually outvoted on matters.

There are risks to leaving of course, but on balance I see those as lesser issues to being tied in for another generation or longer.

I also can't see the UK simply failing financially if we leave. There will be some capital flight for businesses who directly trade with the EU who now have a tariff to pay for that trade, but conversely the UK will be at liberty to make conditions here more favourable and attractive for other businesses.

JJL 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In
 TobyA 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

> and traditional neutrality with the Swiss (though that didn't stop Sweden joining).

Or Ireland, Austria or Finland.

Norwegian political elites were all strongly pro EU during their referendums but the fish won it it seems. Now they have right wing populists in parliament late like everyone else who are against.

ianstevens 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

And maybe those who can take a cheeky minute or two to check UKC at work?
 Martin Hore 09 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

>There will be some capital flight for businesses who directly trade with the EU who now have a tariff to pay for that trade, but conversely the UK will be at liberty to make conditions here more favourable and attractive for other businesses.

Isn't "conditions here more favourable and attractive for other businesses" a shorthand for lower wages, poorer working conditions and lower corporate taxes - ie less money for the NHS, schools etc? I appreciate there's a balance to be struck between encouraging business and protecting public services and workers' conditions, but I don't think current EU regulations steer us far from the optimum balance here.

> the thought of being pulled in to a political union where we have effectively no say on anything because we are continually outvoted on matters.

Who is your "we". This assumes that the British public all feel one way and the rest of Europe all feel the other. No different to saying Ipswich (my town) is continually out-voted at Westminster.

Martin

Ridge 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

It's a tough one for me. In terms of the impact on the economy by leaving then I would be voting to stay in.

However, the current chaos over the migration issue and the autocratic way Merkel is operating is frightening. Germany acting unilaterally and expecting the rest of the EU to do as it's told, sanctions like losing your job for posting dissent on facebook, private property seized to house migrants, a state media cover up of what seems to be co-ordinated sexual assaults across Europe. That doesn't sound like the wonderful freedom that membership of the EU is supposed to guarantee.

This could be classed as xenophobia or racism, perhaps it is at a subconscious level, who knows. I have no problem with the current levels of skilled immigration, and actually think we should be taking in far greater numbers of vulnerable refugees than we are at present. But an open invitation to hundreds of thousands, and potentially millions of uneducated young men from violent, misogynistic cultures that see women, gays and anyone of the wrong religion as inferior? What could possibly go wrong? I fear the situation is only going to get worse over the coming years. For that reason I'll be voting out, (assuming there is a referendum). No problems with being part of an economic trading bloc with common rights across that economic area, but a European superstate?

Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm xenophobic. I just can't shake the feeling that the grand plan for the EU is more about consolidating power in the hands of a technocratic, neo-liberal elite than it is about the rights of EU citizens, no matter how it's being dressed up at present.
In reply to Babika:

Really tricky one.
On the one hand, I've received 50% capital intervention for new buildings and many millions of Euros funding research projects over the years. A very positive aspect is a reasonably level playing field for Euro funding applications (judging applications based on quality of science etc.) rather than the hideously distorted UK funding landscape which supports a small R&D base. For industrial competitiveness, then again direct EU funding wins hands down against our parochial system via Innovate UK etc. This is particularly pertinent to SME support via ERDF ESIF funding. I'm just about to kick off huge ERDF programmes supporting R&D across thousands of SMEs in Low Carbon technologies and manufacturing, Transport manufacturing, and industrial innovation.
All very good. However, on the other hand, whenever I'm in Brussels for meetings with the EC, I'm struck by the sheer scale of expenditure and the level of vested interests who are consequently very keen for the EU to grow further. The best way I can describe it is a bit 'FIFA' with an associated top heavy French beurocratic elite.
Overall, given how critical Research and Innovation are to a growing, healthy economy, I would vote to stay in until a UK government puts together a credible and more inclusive plan to develop our expertise and industrial base.
 Dave Garnett 09 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Neither did I, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I will definitely vote for remaining but I've become a reluctant supporter of the referendum. I'm so frustrated by our sulky semi-detached attitude to the EU, caused, I think, by a reluctance of both main parties to do anything constructive that might provoke a split in their own ranks, that I'd prefer to have a referendum to settle the issue and deprive at least the Little England tendency within the Conservative party of their stock argument that the EU isn't what they voted for back in 1975.

It's probably naive, but I really hope for a clear vote to stay in the EU, which will free the government, of whatever persuasion, to take a fuller and more enthusiastic part in reforming those parts of the EU which surely do need to be improved, rather than complaining about them from the sidelines.

It remains to be seen whether the Scottish independence referendum achieved its objective of resolving the issue for at least a generation (I think the general election, putting such a large number of SNP MPs into parliament will be a more decisive factor), but I don't see any sign that we will be revisiting proportional representation any time soon.

I fully expect that a number of the more rapid eurosceptics will complain that they were robbed in some way, however clear the result, but we can at least hope...
Gone for good 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

A common market and a European union are not the same thing and I'm sure that when the UK signed up to the common market no one could envisage the federal nature of things to come.
Having said that it was clear from the start that Germany and France would be the dominant force and that everybody else would be dancing to their tune.
 Ridge 09 Jan 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
> All very good. However, on the other hand, whenever I'm in Brussels for meetings with the EC, I'm struck by the sheer scale of expenditure and the level of vested interests who are consequently very keen for the EU to grow further. The best way I can describe it is a bit 'FIFA' with an associated top heavy French beurocratic elite.

Not to mention a very authoritarian German streak in the mix. In fact you're spot on with the FIFA analogy. A remote, distant collection of decision makers accountable only to themselves, with nepotism and cronyism rife. They do like referendums though, in fact they keep having them until the correct result is made.

I can't believe I'm going to write the next bit, I feel like a tinfoil hatted conspiracy theorist. It's already been stated that we can't withdraw, the only possible future is ever closer union. As I posted earlier I can't shake the suspicion that once the machinery of a massive supranational state is in place, the deals with multinational companies are done, and there's a firm grip on mainstraim and social media that things will begin to change. I can't help thinking at that point that human rights and employment law will suddenly become much less important within the now unopposable EU.

I'm off for a lie down.
Post edited at 15:13
 Mike Stretford 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> This could be classed as xenophobia or racism, perhaps it is at a subconscious level, who knows. I have no problem with the current levels of skilled immigration, and actually think we should be taking in far greater numbers of vulnerable refugees than we are at present. But an open invitation to hundreds of thousands, and potentially millions of uneducated young men from violent, misogynistic cultures that see women, gays and anyone of the wrong religion as inferior? What could possibly go wrong? I fear the situation is only going to get worse over the coming years. For that reason I'll be voting out, (assuming there is a referendum). No problems with being part of an economic trading bloc with common rights across that economic area, but a European superstate?

> Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm xenophobic. I just can't shake the feeling that the grand plan for the EU is more about consolidating power in the hands of a technocratic, neo-liberal elite than it is about the rights of EU citizens, no matter how it's being dressed up at present.

You seem to be conflating issues, and yeah, getting a bit paranoid.

Yes there's the 'ever close union', but the UK (and other countries) keeps getting exemptions..... Shengen zone, Euro.

If you are concerned about refugees getting EU passports and coming to Blighty, I'd wait and see what's negotiated, I'm sure that will feature.

You seem very annoyed with Germany, some of which I agree with you on, but this referendum will be about the UK, about our economy.

Pekkie 09 Jan 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> On the one hand, I've received 50% capital intervention for new buildings and many millions of Euros funding research projects over the years. A very positive aspect is a reasonably level playing field for Euro funding applications (judging applications based on quality of science etc.) rather than the hideously distorted UK funding landscape which supports a small R&D base. For industrial competitiveness, then again direct EU funding wins hands down against our parochial system via Innovate UK etc. This is particularly pertinent to SME support via ERDF ESIF funding. I'm just about to kick off huge ERDF programmes supporting R&D across thousands of SMEs in Low Carbon technologies and manufacturing, Transport manufacturing, and industrial innovation.

A good point. When I worked in regeneration we got millions and millions of Euro funding for Britain's deprived areas - eg Merseyside. It was all well spent and made a big difference to infrastructure, business start-ups, job creation and competitiveness.

>
 Dave Garnett 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> Having said that it was clear from the start that Germany and France would be the dominant force and that everybody else would be dancing to their tune.

You can't complain about the music if you refuse to dance at all.
 pec 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

> A good point. When I worked in regeneration we got millions and millions of Euro funding for Britain's deprived areas - eg Merseyside. It was all well spent and made a big difference to infrastructure, business start-ups, job creation and competitiveness. >

On the other hand, if we hadn't paid that money in to the EU in the first place we could have just spent it directly on the regeneration ourselves and cut out the (very expensive and bureaucratic) middleman.

Ridge 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> You seem to be conflating issues, and yeah, getting a bit paranoid.

Perhaps, but you can't divorce all the issues.

> Yes there's the 'ever close union', but the UK (and other countries) keeps getting exemptions..... Shengen zone, Euro.

For the moment. The aim is to ultimately remove all the opt outs.

> If you are concerned about refugees getting EU passports and coming to Blighty, I'd wait and see what's negotiated, I'm sure that will feature.

Absolutely no issues with genuine refugees getting passports. There's a significant contingent that shouldn't be allowed into Europe. We have some pretty despicable people of our own, we don't need to import any mor en masse.

> You seem very annoyed with Germany, some of which I agree with you on, but this referendum will be about the UK, about our economy.

I've already said I have no issues with a European Economic Community, (which is what we originally signed up for). I think a more powerful EU has the opportunity to slide into something far more authoritarian than many people would be comfortable with.
 summo 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
The EU will collapse without reform within a decade, from either immigration, recession or the euro, possibly all three.

The question that I struggle with, is it to have control of a dying beast at arms length, or just put as much distance between you and it as possible.

A UK exit, might save the Eu though, by showing them reform is essential.

I'd vote out at the moment.
Post edited at 18:42
Gone for good 09 Jan 2016

> You can't complain about the music if you refuse to dance at all.

You can when it was De Gaulle playing the fiddle!
 rossowen 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:
I don't mean becoming more competitive by making conditions and wages lower, I mean by the savings through removing EU regulation which apparently cost us c. £24b per annum.

http://openeurope.org.uk/intelligence/britain-and-the-eu/100-most-expensive...

We do get funding from the EU for certain things, but we pay £5.5bn per annum net of the rebate and are the forth largest contributor to the EU.

The 'we' being he uk of course where we may disagree with some of the EU's policies either now or in the future. For example the financial transaction tax, or any another tax, regulation or red tape which is not fair and/or is detrimental to the UK economy, but beneficial to numerous other member states who vote it in anyway.
Post edited at 20:25
 Pekkie 09 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:

> On the other hand, if we hadn't paid that money in to the EU in the first place we could have just spent it directly on the regeneration ourselves and cut out the (very expensive and bureaucratic) middleman.

it wouldn't have happened though, would it? The EU has this target of 'convergence' whereby they want deprived regions to reach the EU average on GDP. Ireland played this card so successfully that they are now one of the richest EU regions. What's there not to like? Go on, tell me.
 pec 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

> it wouldn't have happened though, would it? >

It would if the democratically elected government of the UK had decided to do it.

> What's there not to like? Go on, tell me. >

Where do I start?
The buroeaucracy and red tape, the inefficiency, the fudges and compromise, the lack of democratic accountability, the duplication of resources in Brussels and Strasbourg, the allowing of political goals to overide commonsense (like letting Greece into the euro in the first place), the lack of politcal will to deal with its problems (like Greece), the pig headed arrogance that makes countries vote again when they vote the "wrong" way in referendums, the inability to police its borders, the remorseless centralisation of power, the euroland mired in near permanent stagnation, the dominance of the French and Germans, the overuling of national parliaments and judicial systems.
There's a few things that spring to mind.

Martin Hore 09 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

>"I don't mean becoming more competitive by making conditions and wages lower, I mean by the savings through removing EU regulation which apparently cost us c. £24b per annum."

Sorry Ross if this appears argumentative but the "savings through removing EU regulation which apparently cost us c. £24b per annum" are the savings businesses could make through, for example, not abiding by the EU working time directive. They are, at least in part, "savings" at the expense of workers' conditions of service.

>"We do get funding from the EU for certain things, but we pay £5.5bn per annum net of the rebate and are the forth largest contributor to the EU."

As we should be doing - we are either the second or third largest European economy (depending on how we rate against France at any particular time). Fourth largest contributor is barely paying our fair share.

>"The 'we' being the uk of course where we may disagree with some of the EU's policies either now or in the future. For example the financial transaction tax..."

Sorry, but you seem here to be assuming again that "the UK" has one opinion. I would have thought people in the UK have opinions roughly as diverse as those in Europe as a whole. I personally would support a financial transaction tax. If it applied equally across the EU it would not drive financial businesses away from London to other European financial centres because all the financial centres would be on a level playing field. This is an excellent example of how the EU can and should work to the benefit of all. Not having an EU-wide policy makes it more difficult to introduce a financial transaction tax because countries introducing it would suffer a loss of financial businesses to countries not introducing it. If all of Europe introduces it together then we all benefit from a tax that will only cut small margins off the profits of Big Finance but contribute valuably to the funding of essential services such as health and education.

I appreciate I come from a left-of-centre standpoint which you may not share but so does a substantial proportion, often a majority, of the UK electorate. As above "the UK" does not have one voice just because we currently have a Tory government speaking on our behalf in Europe.

Martin

elsewhere 09 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:
The lack of democratic accountability is a good thing. If the EU had a true democratic mandate rather than power with commissioners appointed by national governments then we really would be in a unified state.

The real democratic mandate should remain for a UK government.
 rossowen 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

Fair comments Martin. I think the FTT is a tricky one because my understanding is that institutions based in the UK who will be affected could easily move their businesses to countries which are not in Europe and then the capital would go with them. If that were to happen the UK would be disproportionately adversely affected by it, even though the EU would likely benefit as a whole.
 pec 10 Jan 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> The lack of democratic accountability is a good thing. If the EU had a true democratic mandate rather than power with commissioners appointed by national governments then we really would be in a unified state. >

So why waste millions on a meaningless talking shop, i.e. the EU parliament?

> The real democratic mandate should remain for a UK government. >

Except increasingly it doesn't.

Roadrunner5 10 Jan 2016

>. The EU needs the UK more than vice versa and the UK leaving will be the beginning of the collapse of this sleazy house of cards.

That's just not true and is very much a kin to 'it's my ball'.. The UK just isn't that important, many of its issues come from this, that we aren't a major player anymore. We can't dictate. Which is right, the UK is a small part of the EU so shouldn't be the tail wagging the dog.
 Mike Stretford 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> For the moment. The aim is to ultimately remove all the opt outs.

I don't think so, not after Greece. I don't think there's the appetite in Europe any more, times are a changing.

And besides, I think we are strong enough as a nation to resist moves to a federal Europe if it isn't what we want.

> Absolutely no issues with genuine refugees getting passports. There's a significant contingent that shouldn't be allowed into Europe. We have some pretty despicable people of our own, we don't need to import any mor en masse.

It's a complex issue, some 'bad' people will be 'genuine refugees'. As long as we stay out of Shengen I don't think it affects us too much. I think if we left we would have problems, less cooperation from France.

> A common market and a European union are not the same thing and I'm sure that when the UK signed up to the common market no one could envisage the federal nature of things to come.

> Having said that it was clear from the start that Germany and France would be the dominant force and that everybody else would be dancing to their tune.

The concept of a European Union (political and military, rather than economic) actually predates the EEC/EC.

See:
Treaty of Brussels, 1948 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Brussels
and the Western European Union, 1954 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_European_Union
Also, Churchill's famous 1946 'United States of Europe' speech

Pekkie 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The concept of a European Union (political and military, rather than economic) actually predates the EEC/EC.

>It started off after the war as the European Coal and Steel Community which was intended to combine the heavy industries of Germany and France so that there would never be another war in europe. Job done?
 Pekkie 10 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:
>> 'Where do I start?> The buroeaucracy and red tape, the inefficiency, the fudges and compromise, the lack of democratic accountability...'

It's not perfect and there's lots of room for reform and improvement. What I was pointing out is that there have been some successes and the deprived regions policy is one of them. I suppose the whole of Greece will be one now...
Post edited at 10:03
 Mike Stretford 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge: Forgot to add, it's six years before refugees can apply for German citizenship, and then an eu passport. It's a German issue, and us staying or leaving the EU won't change their policies.

> The concept of a European Union (political and military, rather than economic) actually predates the EEC/EC.

Indeed, wasn't there a chap from Austria with a funny moustache that had similar ideas? And I recall reading about a vertically-challenged Corsican with the same plans. Of course, not to forget assorted emperors of Rome. I remember reading, also, that none of it ended too well.

elsewhere 10 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:
> So why waste millions on a meaningless talking shop, i.e. the EU parliament?

It probably has some use scrutinising the commissioners but you have a point.

> Except increasingly it doesn't.

The fact that we are due a referendum tells you the democratic mandate remains within the UK.
We decide which international treaties we continue to follow.
 Martin Hore 10 Jan 2016
In reply to rossowen:

> Fair comments Martin. I think the FTT is a tricky one because my understanding is that institutions based in the UK who will be affected could easily move their businesses to countries which are not in Europe and then the capital would go with them. If that were to happen the UK would be disproportionately adversely affected by it, even though the EU would likely benefit as a whole.

Yes, you may be right there, but I think we retain greater ability to reign in the excesses of global companies (including financial ones) if we operate at an EU level. Multi-nationals can't easily ignore the world's biggest market, which is what the EU is.

Martin

Gone for good 10 Jan 2016

> See:

> and the Western European Union, 1954 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_European_Union

> Also, Churchill's famous 1946 'United States of Europe' speech

These were first and foremost defence treaties created by the need to counter the looming communist threat.

As for Churchill, he made that speech one year after the end of the war. I doubt that he would come to the same conclusion 10 years later.
 Rob Parsons 10 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> ... most climbers tend to reside in the north of the UK (and Wales) which are traditionally Labour or SNP lands - both of which would gravitate towards remaining in the EU.

The Labour/left position isn't that obvious, is it?

gethin_allen 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'd vote in.
I live in south Wales, an area that has some very deprived bits that are currently supported quite heavily by the EU and I really don't trust the Tories to step in and help fill the funding gap if we were to leave the EU.
Also, I'm a researcher who has in the past and may end up in the future being funded by European money and science is an international business that really needs cooperation across national borders.
 summo 10 Jan 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Maybe if we weren't funding the EU to run two parliaments, in two different countries, when they could easily centralise, there would be more funds available for UK projects, without having to push the funds through lots of middle men first.

While Strasbourg parliament still exists I can't take the eu seriously.
 summo 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Yes, you may be right there, but I think we retain greater ability to reign in the excesses of global companies (including financial ones) if we operate at an EU level. Multi-nationals can't easily ignore the world's biggest market, which is what the EU is.

Like all those international companies domiciled in luxembourg so they could tax dodge, all whilst the current Eu president was leader there.

You have two hopes and one is bob.
 summo 10 Jan 2016

> You can't complain about the music if you refuse to dance at all.

Sometimes when the band finally starts you realise they are $hit and it is better to cut your losses and go to another pub or gig, rather than ruin or waste a whole evening.
 gethin_allen 10 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

I agree with you about the stupidity of having two seats of parliament, getting rid of Strasbourg would be great, but nobody has suggested this and this isn't one of the policies that the out MPs are campaigning on. And, as I say in my previous post, I don't see that any savings made from leaving the EU would be fairly distributed by a Tory government.
 jcw 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

If tomorrow in. But there are several elements which make me uneasy. In the first place I think the ideologists have gone too far and too fast. Hence a considerable backlash across many European countries, not just UK. My feeling is that there should be no further enlargement, and certainly not Turkey. The emphasis should be on essentially digesting what has already proved a too heavy meal. One issue that is important is a consistent basis for taxation across the Union (nb I use the term basis, not individual rates applied, but issues that concern such things as family taxation and inheritance across Europe, etc). Another element that worries me is the justice system. British justice is so different from the rest of Europe that I find that I am unhappy at the way ECHR often works. Its role should be confined to major Human Rights issues and leave the appeals of individuals generally to be decided within each country's own judicial system. So I think that some of the things Cameron wants represent a much wider constituency than just our own country while at the same time asking for both more legislation in certain domains and less in others. That a country like Luxembourg should have been allowed to get away with the kind of parasitic behaviour it has and then should have Juncker as President makes me want to puke. Let's get these anomalies sorted out first and provide a more economically and social just system across Europe before rushing into yet further integration.
 summo 10 Jan 2016

Fairly distributed, don't ni, Scotland and wales already get more per capita from the UK treasury than England?

What is fair?
In reply to summo:

One very serious outcome of Brexit would be a breakup of the United Kingdom. An independent Scotland would then stay in the EU greatly at our expense, as European firms would then invest in and deal with Scotland rather than England. Many European companies would surely move out of England.

Then there is the whole very serious issue of defence. Important article here:
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/europe-and-the-uks-defence-review/
 Big Ger 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Figures for 2013

> At €29bn, Germany, Europe's largest and most powerful economy, put the most money into the EU pot last year. Poland was the biggest recipient. It received €16.2bn in EU funds in 2013

> Overall, Britain's contribution to the EU pot amounted to €17bn in 2013, behind Germany, France, and Italy.

> However, on a net basis, Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget last year. It put €10.8bn more into the EU pot last year than it took out. Only Germany paid more on a net basis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11221427/EU-budget-what-...
 Sir Chasm 10 Jan 2016

You're assuming that Scotland wouldn't vote out, whereas there's little evidence that there is much difference in opinion to the EU. but perhaps some independence supporters might vote to leave the EU in the hope that a vote for out would speed up Scottish independence.
 RomTheBear 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> You're assuming that Scotland wouldn't vote out, whereas there's little evidence that there is much difference in opinion to the EU. but perhaps some independence supporters might vote to leave the EU in the hope that a vote for out would speed up Scottish independence.

Not sure where you've seen that, there is plenty of evidence of a big difference of opinion. Latest regional poll for Scotland puts remain at 65% and only 22% leave.
Latest one for England is at 43% leave and 40% remain...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_Euro...

To the point that many pollsters predict that it could well be the devolved nations vote keeping the whole of the UK in the EU in the end.
Post edited at 20:52
 summo 10 Jan 2016

Scotland couldn't simply stay in the eu, it would need an in/out referendum, then once independent it could apply to join the eu. So perhaps 10 years minimum, by then the next recession will have the killed the euro and split Europe in two, ie northern and southern.
 bouldery bits 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Love the hokey cokey me.

In.
 gethin_allen 10 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

It's called socialism, those the richer areas try to help the poorer areas to develop with the hope that they'll be able to stand up for themselves.
As I'll say again, the Tories aren't keen on this because they are rich and happy to stick two fingers up to anyone poor.

Anyway, aren't we supposed to be the UK where the boundaries are blurred, so what's with getting wound up by who gets the cash because they are in Wales/Scotland/NI.
And saying this, I'm sure the North of England will be getting a good chunk of EU cash, but then the Tories don't care about them either because they haven't gotas many MPs up there and they are poor anyway.
 Big Ger 10 Jan 2016

> It's called socialism,

You're right there...

Socialism: noun
1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.
3. (in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.
 summo 11 Jan 2016

> It's called socialism, those the richer areas try to help the poorer areas to develop with the hope that they'll be able to stand up for themselves.

It won't happen fully, the south wales valleys just like my north east homeland have a proportion of people who won't now lift a finger, they expect work to be brought to their doorstep, rather than go out and make life happen. It then spreads to the next generation.

> As I'll say again, the Tories aren't keen on this because they are rich and happy to stick two fingers up to anyone poor.

Why the tories, I think most people dislike long term unemployment?

> Anyway, aren't we supposed to be the UK where the boundaries are blurred, so what's with getting wound up by who gets the cash because they are in Wales/Scotland/NI.

Nope, because of the assemblies funding, the 3 areas get more funding than England per capita, the boundaries aren't blurred at all, they are very precise.

> And saying this, I'm sure the North of England will be getting a good chunk of EU cash, but then the Tories don't care about them either because they haven't gotas many MPs up there and they are poor anyway.

I think you are fighting an anti tory battle and ignoring the facts a little. The North East has a dire road network and is only now improving. Ever been on the A1? the A470 up to Merthyr(relatively quiet road compared to the A1) was done decades ago and the A1 north of Leeming Bar is only just getting upgrades now. Even better the A1 north of Newcastle?
 RomTheBear 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

It's a social attitude survey and they ask different questions about what people think of the EU, not the eu referendum.
But in terms of the leave/remain referendum question, there is a big difference in the polls between Scotland and England. Just look at the few latest ones.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/02/eu-referendum-english-votes...
 Sir Chasm 11 Jan 2016
In reply to RomTheBear:

Yes, but I think people's social attitudes will probably have an effect on how they vote in the referendum. And note the "internet polling" disclaimer. Still, we'll have to see if the pollsters are better this time. It's nice to have you back on an independence debate, one where we're probably both agreed that leaving a relatively successful union because of some fanciful notion of freedom is a bit daft.
 Big Ger 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
"There could be no more eloquent epitaph on the destruction of Britain's once-proud fishing industry than the recent revelation that 23 per cent of the entire fishing quota Brussels allows Britain now goes to a single giant Dutch trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, to land all its catches in Holland."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11305123/No-end-to-the-EUs-crazy-fishing...
Post edited at 08:24
 Dave Garnett 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> "There could be no more eloquent epitaph on the destruction of Britain's once-proud fishing industry than the recent revelation that 23 per cent of the entire fishing quota Brussels allows Britain now goes to a single giant Dutch trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, to land all its catches in Holland."

I agree. Although that's not just down to the amount of national quota but to the commoditisation of the fishing quotas so that they they can be sold on by the people to whom they were originally allocated. The Dutch fisheries only have these quotas because British fisherman sold them to them.

It's the same with farming subsidies. The subsidies supposedly attached to agricultural land are commonly sold off to third parties with no connection to it. I don't know for sure but I suspect that may be down to our national interpretation of the law, rather than the EU.

Mike Stretford 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
> "There could be no more eloquent epitaph on the destruction of Britain's once-proud fishing industry than the recent revelation that 23 per cent of the entire fishing quota Brussels allows Britain now goes to a single giant Dutch trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, to land all its catches in Holland."

It pays to be suspicious of any 'facts' in a Christopher Booker article

It turns out it is the UK government which allocates that 23% of the British quota to the Cornelis Vrolijk, and EU rules are being used to challenge that

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/greenpeace-wins-permission-take-uk...
Post edited at 10:07
 Big Ger 11 Jan 2016
Quotas were allocated on the basis of size.

If we were not in the EU we'd have more control over our own territorial waters

Also from Green peace:
Perversely, underpinning the overcapacity are massive EU subsidies, totalling well over one billion euros per year. In 2011, the EU Court of Financial Auditors produced a damning report, which noted that the multi-billion euro European Fisheries Fund designed to balance fishing activities at sustainable levels was actually doing the reverse. Grotesquely, European taxpayers are effectively paying fishermen to destroy the continent's natural capital.

The EU state that benefits the most from subsidies is Spain, but the Dutch have also got in on the act. Parlevliet & Van der Plas, the company behind the super trawler at the centre of the recent controversy has been heavily favoured, receiving direct and indirect subsidies of more than E55 million in the last two decades. Subsidies appear critical to the business model of Parlevliet. Without subsidies, the firm may have even lost money in recent years.

https://www.greenpeace.org.au/blog/super-trawlers-are-feeding-on-eu-fishing...
Post edited at 10:42
In reply to Big Ger:

That's an old article, EU policy has changed

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/23/eu-vote-curtail-fishing-...

Great work by the Green parties in the EU parliament, and Greenpeace, eh?

It's now down to the UK government. The EU is flawed, but we do have a habit of blaming our own shortcomings on the EU as well.
Post edited at 10:58
In reply to summo:
> Sometimes when the band finally starts you realise they are $hit and it is better to cut your losses and go to another pub or gig, rather than ruin or waste a whole evening.

There's the rub, there isn't another gig to go to. Ukippers might fantasize about a 'commonwealth' free market, but it is just fantasy. The US has made its position clear.

So we could go it alone, but the only time we've done that in the last two centuries, was in the late 60s/seventies, and that period is seen as an economic low for the UK.

Not saying the EU is perfect..... far from it, many flaws, but we have to be realistic.
Post edited at 11:15
 Roadrunner5 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

5 dislikes.. So many of you preach democracy yet want the minority to dictate. You have no idea about true democracy.
 summo 11 Jan 2016

Perhaps the original gig we booked in 75, a free trade area. No currency, military, or legal union? No ever closer....

summo 11 Jan 2016

Can you explain how farming subsidies are sold off to those with no connection to the land?
In reply to summo:

> Perhaps the original gig we booked in 75, a free trade area. No currency, military, or legal union? No ever closer....

Some of that is what Cameron is trying to negotiate

http://www.policy-network.net/pno_detail.aspx?ID=4998&title=Britain+no+...

we won't get just a free trade area ie free movement won't change, but they might meet in the middle.

On the evidence of this thread many seem to have decided already regardless, or will vote on things that don't affect the UK. Very emotive rather than rational, and could be one of the biggest 'cut your nose to spite your face' in history.
 Dave Garnett 11 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

> Can you explain how farming subsidies are sold off to those with no connection to the land?

What seems to happen is that when land is sold the previous landowner can retain the farm payments that relate to the land. There are extra requirements (such as a minimum total hectarage before agricultural payments can be claimed) but there is no requirement that the payments are claimed by the current landowner (or user).

summo 11 Jan 2016
> What seems to happen is that when land is sold the previous landowner can retain the farm payments that relate to the land. There are extra requirements (such as a minimum total hectarage before agricultural payments can be claimed) but there is no requirement that the payments are claimed by the current landowner (or user).

You can only claim if you have farmed the land that year, if the land changes hands mid year, then there will be split payments, unless both parties come to an agreement to start fresh in the next year. General the person who did the work or made the investment, receives the subsidy.
Yes, very small holdings don't qualify, but there has to be a cut off, otherwise people would be applying for their back gardens. No reason why several smallholders can't form a collective. Common land grazing associations do this.
Like to see you link anything that says the land owner or user doesn't have to be the claimant, as you claim for either an action carried out or specific use of the land? Perhaps my experience of cap differs to yours though.
Post edited at 15:37
 Bootrock 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Out. Whole heartedly. For numerous reasons.
 RomTheBear 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> Yes, but I think people's social attitudes will probably have an effect on how they vote in the referendum. And note the "internet polling" disclaimer. Still, we'll have to see if the pollsters are better this time. It's nice to have you back on an independence debate, one where we're probably both agreed that leaving a relatively successful union because of some fanciful notion of freedom is a bit daft.

I think the social attitudes survey shows that everybody shares the same concern about the EU, however when it comes to an in/out question all the polls whether they are online or by phone show a marked difference.

As far as the independence debate goes, for me eu membership and indyref are really just one issue. The best deal for Scotland is probably to stay in the UK and the UK stays in the EU, unfortunately I fear that we'll be dragged out. Vice versa it could well be that Scotland causes England to stay in, not sure whether that would be politically sustainable either.
Post edited at 18:23
 John Ww 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

A serious question for the "IN" voters - if staying in the EU involved us having to give up the pound and adopt the Euro, would you still vote to stay in?

If "yes", why?

If "no", why not?

JW
 Neil Williams 11 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:
I would be completely torn on that one - not because I care what symbol appears before the number on my credit card bill, but because of having to effectively give up many of the Bank of England's powers - given that the Bank has done quite well in managing our economy over the past few years since having been given a bit more independence by Labour in the 1990s/early 2000s.

But I feel that scenario very unlikely.
Post edited at 18:30
 RomTheBear 11 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:
I would say yes, partly because in such a scenario the UK would actually bring the votes and influence necessary to reform the eurozone in a way that doesn't profit only net exportering countries, which is currently not possible in a Germany centric eurozone.
Post edited at 18:41
 Pekkie 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

> 'Out. Whole heartedly. For numerous reasons.'

Go on, enlighten us. I bet you've got some really powerful, well thought out arguments.

Roadrunner5 12 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:

I think we should have the euro..

A gloal banking system makes sense, at the moment its unworkable the major currencies should align more.

Its screwed up that I can move to the US and have no credit history.. yet having paid off a mortgage. I was billed to pay off debts in other countries but when I ask for credit here based on credit elsewhere.. 'oh sorry you have no credit history'..

It's just screwed up..

Back on track, one europe, one currency, however for the euro to work we need to give up a lot of control of our economics. It cant work as it is now. I think give countries guidelines, limiits for each area and let them have some flexibility but we have to be more consistent in our approach to tuition fees, pensions, welfare, taxes.. etc. It cant work until that changes.

summo 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
Globally currency? The Eu has proved you can't have currency union, unless you have full political union, ie one global parliament etc.. the euro doesn't work. Compared to the world there aren't many countries in the Euro, but the divide between the nations is massive.

Maybe in a few hundred years.
The euro has guidelines and most countries cooked the books to enter it, those that were financially sound sat back and allowed it.
Post edited at 05:53
 summo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Looks like the markets globally are bracing for a crash, let's see what the eu and Euro looks like by July.
 NathanP 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

In.

Even if we were outside the EU we would still have to follow EU rules (as Norway and Switzerland do) but with no voice in shaping them. Also, as others have said, sometimes the most local effective level for a decision or negotiation is for the whole of Europe.

It seems to me that the big mistake the EU leaders have made is pushing an ever closer (and bigger) union and collecting extra powers without proving they can do a good job with the ones they already have and taking the people with them. That said, we have so many personal, cultural and business ties with the other European countries that I'm sure the tides of history are going that way in the long term.
 deepsoup 13 Jan 2016
In reply to JMGLondon:

> I work in a business with lots of European markets and offices. Free movement is very important. Also, given Cameron's failure to secure a better deal thus far, I highly doubt his ability to negotiate a decent free trade deal if we leave the EU.

Indeed. And a 'decent free trade deal' would require us to obey all the rules & regs anyway.

We wouldn't just need to negotiate one trade deal though, we'd need to negotiate all of them, with everybody.

And since we currently have no trade negotiators of our own, our new trade agreements with every other nation on the planet would be negotiated in effect by office temps with a bad attitude: an army of greased weasels procured from management consultancies and the big accountancy companies on lucrative short-term contracts, negotiating deals that might be binding for decades with one eye on their own vested interests.
 Mike Stretford 13 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

> Looks like the markets globally are bracing for a crash, let's see what the eu and Euro looks like by July.

That's a good reason to maintain the status quo. We are in the fortunate grouping that have EU membership and independent monetary policy.
 Pekkie 13 Jan 2016
In reply to NathanP:

> Even if we were outside the EU we would still have to follow EU rules (as Norway and Switzerland do) but with no voice in shaping them.

And make financial contributions that are almost as much as if they were in. Crazy but true.
 Dave Garnett 13 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:

> Like to see you link anything that says the land owner or user doesn't have to be the claimant, as you claim for either an action carried out or specific use of the land? Perhaps my experience of cap differs to yours though.

Hmmm. Actually, this is something I need to look into. All I know is I'm not getting it!

I'm actually starting to wonder if there will be a referendum if the polls start to suggest it would likely result in a BREXIT.
 pec 13 Jan 2016
In reply to NathanP:

> Even if we were outside the EU we would still have to follow EU rules (as Norway and Switzerland do) but with no voice in shaping them. >

Still, it doesn't seem to be doing either of them too much harm
http://www.aneki.com/europe_richest.html

Anyway, our economy is 2.5 times bigger than Switzerland and Norway combined so we've got rather more bargaining power. Europe also sells more to us than we do to them so its not in their interest to make life difficult, they've more to lose than we have.

NathanP 13 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:

I don't disagree with either if your points but one of the arguments given for leaving is that it would free us from Brussels imposed red tape. My point was simply that, assuming we wanted to continue to have access to the single market, like Norway and Switzerland, we would still have to follow EU rules but would have given up the chance to shape them.
OP Babika 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
And the UKC result is....

In 46
Out 13

Pretty overwhelming really. Call Me Dave has nothing to fear.
Post edited at 21:30
In reply to Babika:

I'm still troubled by that 13. Surprised it's that high.
In reply to NathanP:

They just haven't thought it through for a millisecond. The idea that the 'red tape' regarding trading would be reduced is just ridiculous wishful thinking. I'm sure, because we'd then be competing with them, that they would make it a whole lot more difficult for us. Which would be perfectly fair enough. Not sure how our relations with trade outside Europe would improve, even if they got no worse. Brexit is just such an obvious all-round lose-lose option.
 rossowen 13 Jan 2016

Apparently some polls are putting the outs ahead by a few points, but then we learned recently they're not always right.
Gone for good 13 Jan 2016

> I'm still troubled by that 13. Surprised it's that high.
I think you will find a much higher percentage voting out come the referendum.
 MG 13 Jan 2016

> They just haven't thought it through for a millisecond.

I'm a strong "in" but that sort of claim is both arrogantly condescending and complacent. Of course people who want out have thought things through, they just come to different conclusions to you.

In reply to rossowen:

Yeah, but referendums are dead scary. Because so emotive. I think it will be seen as one of the great scandals of British history that something this crude was ever contemplated, even allowed, for a very difficult decision of this kind that requires expert knowledge. Particularly, once we were already signed up to it. I sympathise hugely with our European partners on this, re our pathetic, dangerous party-political games, not to mention fundamental (un-British) dishonesty. What a load of crap this slogan 'A better deal for Britain' is. We've had a very good deal, and it's benefited parts of our country enormously. I won't budge on this, even if I get about half a million 'dislikes' from faceless people who don't want to discuss it with me openly.
In reply to MG:

> I'm a strong "in" but that sort of claim is both arrogantly condescending and complacent. Of course people who want out have thought things through, they just come to different conclusions to you.

Well it's certainly not complacent, but a genuine expression of my frustration that many people are going into this completely emotionally. Where I get really angry is when I think of all my (and your) ancestors who fought (and died) in two world wars to create a more unified and harmonious Europe. And they seem to be quite happy now to just tear it all up, and quite possibly plunge us into conflict again.

I, for one, won't forgive them if my worst fears are proved right.
Gone for good 13 Jan 2016

Why is this fundamentally dishonest?
I don't see this being any different from offering Scotland an independence referendum. The Government pledged an EU referendum at the general election and should stand by that pledge and I don't doubt that won them a lot of votes.
The people will have spoken and we will all have to get on with it. It's not going to be the end of the world whatever the outcome.
 Sir Chasm 13 Jan 2016

The thing is, although Gordon is, I'm sure, a big fan of democracy, he doesn't actually want the plebs to be able to vote because they're so thick he can't be sure they'll tick the right box.
KevinD 13 Jan 2016

> Well it's certainly not complacent, but a genuine expression of my frustration that many people are going into this completely emotionally.

I agree I hate it when people do that.
> Where I get really angry
ermmmm

> is when I think of all my (and your) ancestors who fought (and died) in two world wars to create a more unified and harmonious Europe

Strange I thought the wars were really about avoiding a unified Europe. Certainly in WWI a major factor in the UK getting involved was the traditional British hobby of playing European powers off against each other to try and minimise any one getting dominance.
If you are going to accuse people of emotional and unthinking arguments probably best to avoid doing the same.
It could be as easily argued that the half arsed handling of the integration of different economies would be as likely to lead to conflict. I dont think either are that likely but there is a case to be made for both.
OP Babika 13 Jan 2016

> Well it's certainly not complacent, but a genuine expression of my frustration that many people are going into this completely emotionally. Where I get really angry is when I think of all my (and your) ancestors who fought (and died) in two world wars to create a more unified and harmonious Europe. And they seem to be quite happy now to just tear it all up, and quite possibly plunge us into conflict again.

> I, for one, won't forgive them if my worst fears are proved right.

Well I don't think WW1 and WW2 were fought on behalf of the EU but rather on behalf of freedom and democracy. My Dad fought in the war and voted Out in 1975.

I actually think that you are being a bit emotional about this and should respect the democratic outcome whatever it is.
KevinD 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

There is a case to be made for the plebs not being able to tick the right box. I know I dont think I really have sufficient information to make an informed judgement and suspect it would be rather hard to get hold of that information without bias being applied. Everyone is subject to spin one way or another.
 Ridge 13 Jan 2016
> Yeah, but referendums are dead scary. Because so emotive. I think it will be seen as one of the great scandals of British history that something this crude was ever contemplated, even allowed, for a very difficult decision of this kind that requires expert knowledge.

At what point do you draw the line? Anything that affects the future of a nation is extremely complex, including electing a government. Should we get rid of elections as a command economy would be far more efficient? We can't have emotions getting in the way.

> Particularly, once we were already signed up to it.

I don't recall the idea of the EU being mentioned in the referendum over a Common Market, which was was the UK signed up for. Everything else is political ambition on behalf of an intellectual elite who don't like the idea of ignorant plebs having a say.

> I sympathise hugely with our European partners on this, re our pathetic, dangerous party-political games, not to mention fundamental (un-British) dishonesty.

Party political games and dishonesty are the stock in trade of politicians, including those in Brussels and Strasbourg.

> What a load of crap this slogan 'A better deal for Britain' is. We've had a very good deal, and it's benefited parts of our country enormously.

The counter argument is we are a net contributor, so could have benefitted parts of our country even more. The stock answer to that is that our Government is too inept/corrupt to have done that. Other than a belief that politicians in the EU are pure, saintly and far superior to the UK, why is the EU any more likely to make decisions that benefit the UK? It's the 'British cringe', we're too stupid to run our own affairs, we need the EU to do it for us.

> I won't budge on this, even if I get about half a million 'dislikes' from faceless people who don't want to discuss it with me openly.

That doesn't leave much room for discussion, does it?
Post edited at 23:03
 Ridge 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Well I don't think WW1 and WW2 were fought on behalf of the EU but rather on behalf of freedom and democracy. My Dad fought in the war and voted Out in 1975.

My Dad was very much of the opinion he was fighting against the Germans, not for a European Union that hadn't been invented then.

> I actually think that you are being a bit emotional about this and should respect the democratic outcome whatever it is.

^ This.

If this was just about being part of a trading block then the advantages are obvious to being in the EU. But it's not, it's about lofty political ideals and intellectual dreams that cannot possibly be allowed to fail, no matter what gets in the way.
In reply to Ridge:

> At what point do you draw the line? Anything that affects the future of a nation is extremely complex, including electing a government. Should we get rid of elections as a command economy would be far more efficient? We can't have emotions getting in the way.

Elections are not the same as referendums. By voting for an MP you are in effect voting for some intelligent, knowledgeable person to represent you, and, in the broadest possible terms, to speak and argue on your behalf.

> I don't recall the idea of the EU being mentioned in the referendum over a Common Market, which was was the UK signed up for. Everything else is political ambition on behalf of an intellectual elite who don't like the idea of ignorant plebs having a say.

Your memory it quite short, I think. Before that, and particularly before Mrs. T, I remember the discussion being much broader. There was all the stuff with the Club of Rome, for starters. I remember the idea of European Union always preceding the much narrower idea of (simply) a Common Market.

> The counter argument is we are a net contributor, so could have benefitted parts of our country even more.

What are you talking about? Do you really think that 'we' would have helped Scotland and Wales as much as the EC has? We are a net contributor because we are strong, and accept the basic tenets of the EU ... Don't we?

>... why is the EU any more likely to make decisions that benefit the UK?

Because they're forced to do it by European laws.

>It's the 'British cringe', we're too stupid to run our own affairs, we need the EU to do it for us.

Utter bilge. We run our own affairs very well, and our better politicians work closely with our European partners to try to make everything run better at a wider, European level.

John Ww 14 Jan 2016

> I won't budge on this, even if I get about half a million 'dislikes'...

Nothing like a good old-fashioned bit of intransigence then Gordon.

Just as an aside, I currently spend about one third of my life in various parts of Europe - want to guess which way I'll be voting?

JW
In reply to John Ww:

> Just as an aside, I currently spend about one third of my life in various parts of Europe - want to guess which way I'll be voting?

Assuming that the one third of your life that you spend in Europe is to do with business interests, obviously you'll be voting In.
Pan Ron 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

> If only the electorate for the EU referendum was restricted to UKC members - not very democratic I know, but I really fear a No result.

I take a slightly different view. If the majority vote out then I'm happy to leave: it will likely be better for the EU that it isn't encumbered with a petty-minded UK that wants no part of it anyway. It will also be a rude awakening for us and we'll likely be left eating humble pie as our economy declines and all the benefits of EU membership we enjoyed are eroded. Someone needs to leave to show just how negative the experience will be, otherwise to many the grass will always look greener. Undeniably, as much as I, and seemingly much of UKC, enjoy being European, a substantial proportion of the UK would dearly love to return to the 1950s, and the idea that not being in Europe would allow us to be an empire again. Utterly misguided of course, but again, let them have a crack at it and be decisively proven wrong.

> Many of the so-called "petty" European regulations that the No-sayers object to are actually there to protect European workers from the race to the bottom in wages and working conditions that could ensue if the level playing field of the single-market was removed.

Indeed. I suspect the "out" voters would far rather we inherited a US style system of "flexible" labour laws. My wife is currently undertaking some social work in up-state New York. The full horror of their divided society, workers employed in hugely unstable and unreliable work, and in conditions where prison (as harsh as it is in the US) is very much a least-bad option for many, is not something we should aspire to. The EU, for all its costs and faults, sets a fantastic example to the world.
 Roadrunner5 14 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:

> Still, it doesn't seem to be doing either of them too much harm

they've more to lose than we have.

That second statement isnt true...

If europe loses our trade its a much smaller % than we would lose.

Also the US want is in the EU. It WILL have knock on effects on US/UK trade.
Pan Ron 14 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:

> Anyway, our economy is 2.5 times bigger than Switzerland and Norway combined so we've got rather more bargaining power. Europe also sells more to us than we do to them so its not in their interest to make life difficult, they've more to lose than we have.

But the pain for Europe would be spread over a large number of European countries. The pain for the UK is restricted to, well, the UK.

The argument that we would be spared waste and inefficiency in the EU by not being part of it doesn't really weigh up in my opinion. We have huge waste and inefficiency in the UK. Its just very easy to point fingers at the EU. I'm just glad we have a largely progressive enterprise of the union that can ameliorate the worst excesses of national governments.
 summo 14 Jan 2016
In reply to David Martin:

The pain is already spread to northern Europe from the south. If we were in efta, same rules less cost. As a non Euro nation our influence is less anyway, than we would like to think.
 Mike Stretford 14 Jan 2016
In reply to summo:
EFTA will not be an option. A small cost saving, if anything, and all eu rules apply apart from agriculture and fisheries. Many Britons will be voting on other issues such as immigration, they will not be very happly if a no vote leads to no changes there. We don't have referendum for minor changes.
Post edited at 07:16
 summo 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford: it is more than a little cheaper to be in efta than the EU as a full member. But, the negotiations won't come to much of significance. The EU won't admit it needs to change, the senior elite dare not admit it, so they'll stay on the dream. Why would they change, very well paid, massive pension after only 1 term in office for every euro MP, it's longest gravy train in the world. Strasbourg.

The UK could save the EU and the Euro by leaving. The EU would be forced to reform, blaming the lack of money from the UK, rather than the real reasons. It gives them a get out clause. Win win.
 John Ww 14 Jan 2016

> Assuming that the one third of your life that you spend in Europe is to do with business interests, obviously you'll be voting In.

An incorrect assumption, followed by an incorrect conclusion.

JW
 Dave Garnett 14 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:

> An incorrect assumption, followed by an incorrect conclusion.

> JW

So, your European connection isn't related to business and Gordon's conclusion can't be incorrect.

Is that In or Out then?

> Assuming that the one third of your life that you spend in Europe is to do with business interests, obviously you'll be voting In.

Funny how everyone becomes "tories" when arguing to stay in Europe....it's all about business and money making

I suspect that Merkels solo decision to allow free entry to millions from the ME into Europe, in conjunction with Shengen, plus the Cologne/Helsinki/Sweden sex attacks and the attempted cover up of them, the continuing terrorist incidents globally but mainly the ones in Europe, will be the dominating factor for many voters rather than business/head office locations and losing a place "at the table" to influence decisions in Brussels (lol!)

Dave Garnett 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Funny how everyone becomes "tories" when arguing to stay in Europe....it's all about business and money making

Most of the (rational) arguments about leaving are one-sided financial and trade assumptions, so of course those need to be countered. I work in the European part of a multinational company and I can see the huge business advantages of a pan-European legal and IP structure, for instance. However, my core belief in Europe is based on internationalism, and social and environmental considerations.

> I suspect that Merkels solo decision to allow free entry to millions from the ME into Europe, in conjunction with Schengen, plus the Cologne/Helsinki/Sweden sex attacks and the attempted cover up of them, the continuing terrorist incidents globally but mainly the ones in Europe, will be the dominating factor for many voters rather than business/head office locations and losing a place "at the table" to influence decisions in Brussels (lol!)

Sadly, I think you're right. The obvious corollary to the relaxation of internal border controls under Schengen was that external borders needed to be more diligently enforced. Given that the important external land borders happen to be in the poorer and less well-organised parts of the EU, this was an expensive nettle that needed to be grasped. It's very unfortunate that the referendum is coming up just when this has become a crisis.
"It's very unfortunate that the referendum is coming up just when this has become a crisis. "

Which is why my conspiracy head tells me that another big terrorist attack on mainland Europe (perish the thought) or more revelations/cover ups re sexual assaults and they will pull the referendum (no idea what reason they would give for pulling it) if there is real fear of losing it. i'm not usually this cynical, but when it comes to big decisions like this about Europe I start to lose faith.
 pec 14 Jan 2016
> Which is why my conspiracy head tells me that another big terrorist attack on mainland Europe (perish the thought) or more revelations/cover ups re sexual assaults and they will pull the referendum (no idea what reason they would give for pulling it) if there is real fear of losing it. >

I'm not certain on this but isn't it now a law that we have to have a referendum or is it just that IF we have one it has to be by the end of 2017? A law to that effect was passed by parliament.
Of course, if David cameron pulled the plug on a referendum all hell really would break loose in the Conservative party and given that their rules do actually allow them to kick out their leaders he wouldn't be PM for very long.
Post edited at 23:23
 Mike Stretford 15 Jan 2016

> Funny how everyone becomes "tories" when arguing to stay in Europe....it's all about business and money making

And jobs. Concern over the economy is certainly not restricted to Tories...... unemployment blights communities.

> I suspect that Merkels solo decision to allow free entry to millions from the ME into Europe, in conjunction with Shengen, plus the Cologne/Helsinki/Sweden sex attacks and the attempted cover up of them, the continuing terrorist incidents globally but mainly the ones in Europe, will be the dominating factor for many voters rather than business/head office locations and losing a place "at the table" to influence decisions in Brussels (lol!)

I can understand the knee jerk reaction to all this is isolationism, but Brexit really would be counter productive in terms of policing UK borders.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11946146/If-Brexit-...

I think that telegraph story is small fry compared to the fear of millions of immigrants getting european passports and then free to move wherever within Europe (however unlikely any of that might be).
 Mike Stretford 15 Jan 2016
> I think that telegraph story is small fry compared to the fear of millions of immigrants getting european passports and then free to move wherever within Europe (however unlikely any of that might be).

In reality the impact of the UK border guards being moved back to the UK would be huge, but you're right in terms of 'fear' I don't think people really understand that. I expect it will be the kind of thing the 'Yes' campaign stress.
Post edited at 10:45

Europes changing fast. Schengen vs fences, "Oh east is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet" ...maybe we should be buying shares in Umirs

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/15/perimeter-protection-business-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...