UKC

Avalanche Transcievers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 08 Jan 2016
When you research this kit, it can be easy to become confused.

I have narrowed down my choice between an Ortovox 3+ and a Mammut Element.

Have you used either of these models, if so what feedback can you offer me please as to which may be better, if indeed there are any real differences?
 OwenM 08 Jan 2016
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

I've used both, there's no real difference. Either will be very good.
 HeMa 08 Jan 2016

As was stated, they are both good... Not the best but good enough.

I would have a look here:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

Before limiting the options.

Imho both the Orto and Mammut are quite expensive for their performance. But if you have a deal on them, then as stated they are more than good enough.
In reply to HeMa:

No deals. None of the ones I have seen anywhere are cheap. Perhaps you can tell me where to 'bag a bargain?'
 HeMa 08 Jan 2016

German shops seem to be the best. But no real deals going on now.

Though even the retails prices aren't that bad. Say Sport-Conrad.de has a good selection.

Telemar-Pyrenees also has a good selection.

Unfortunately right about now, is almost the worst time for avy-gear bargains. Early fall is about the best time.

Oh, BLue-tomato might also have some.
 Thelongcon 09 Jan 2016

I own the Element but I'm yet to use it in anger. Practice searches with it have all been fine. Sometimes with multiple burials that are near each other it sends me maybe 3m in the wrong direction before making me do a u-turn after I've marked off the first victim.
No experience with the Ortovox.
 london_huddy 09 Jan 2016

Don't know the Ortovox but the Mammut bleepers are really easy to use and they're a great company to deal with.
 OwenM 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Thelongcon:
. Sometimes with multiple burials that are near each other it sends me maybe 3m in the wrong direction before making me do a u-turn after I've marked off the first victim.

They all can do this, it's because they work on flux-lines. It's not until you move that it can work out whether you're moving away or towards the target. Also because of the flux-lines they take you on an arc to the target not a straight line.

TheGeneralist 09 Jan 2016
In reply to The OP:
https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/bca-tracker-3-avalanche-beacon-001/
#190 for BCA Tracker 3.
#170 for the tracker 2. Which is an amazingly easy piece of kit to practise with
James Jackson 09 Jan 2016

I have the Mammut Pulse, which is the big-brother of the Element. If its heritage is anything to go by (and reading the reviews, it seems to be), it will be a very capable transceiver.
 OwenM 09 Jan 2016
In reply to James Jackson:

The Element is the same as the Pulse in basic mode, the difference is the Pulse has some more features which you have to scroll through the menu to find. Like your really going to do that in an emergency.
James Jackson 10 Jan 2016
In reply to OwenM:

You don't do it in an emergency - the idea is that one customises the settings to how one prefers to use a transceiver in advance.
craigloon 10 Jan 2016
In reply to HeMa:
What's the best then?
 alasdair19 10 Jan 2016
In reply to craigloon:

I'm a big fan of my tracker 3. as it's the simplest but not quite as good for multiple burials
 OwenM 10 Jan 2016
In reply to craigloon:

I don't think there's a gnat's what'sit between any of the digital three antenna sets. Get one get used to it.
craigloon 10 Jan 2016
In reply to OwenM:

I agree. I got an Element last season and like it a lot. I was just curious what HeMa thinks is the best.
 d_b 10 Jan 2016

I haven't used the ortovox, but I can confirm that the mammut element is v easy to use. I would have to get it out to look but as I recallt the UI is a single sliding switch for mode selection and 1 button for marking. The harness is designed so you can't wear it unless it is in transmit mode.

I believe the electronics of the 3 antenna beacons are all very good, but there are fairly big differences in interface. Ergonomics are everything with these things as you don't want to be having to remember how to switch in and out of search mode when things go pear shaped.

One model I tried had a single button that you held for different numbers of seconds for different modes. Useless!
 HeMa 10 Jan 2016
In reply to craigloon:

Set filter 5 start and pick the one that has the best color .

No such thing as best, because it depends on what and how you want to use the beacon.

I've been happy with my Pieps DSP Tour (revised version now sold being the DSP SPort). And from my experience, I'd prolly say that the DSP Sport is the "best", but as stated it is not that clear cut. And all the 5 star ones are good enough.
craigloon 10 Jan 2016
In reply to HeMa:

I was swithering between the Element and the Tracker 3, having had a 1st gen Tracker for about 10 years. In the end I went for the Element as I got a good deal.
 Dave 10 Jan 2016

I have some experience with the Mammut Element, its what I bought my kids, and extensive experience with its parent, the Pulse, which I've had for several years. I've also played a bit with others. I think the Element is great - its simple to use, well built, works well and reasonably priced, especially mail order from Germany.
 Nemo9 10 Jan 2016
I have the Ortovox 3+. I mainly chose it because it was a good price (£130 I think) and reviews I read of it were pretty good. I have found it fairly straightforward to use. Sorry, cant compare it any others as its the only transceiver I have owned. If you also need a shovel and probe this looks a good deal http://www.kickbacksports.co.uk/ortovox-avalance-set--920474?colcode=920474...
In reply to Nemo9:

Tested both in the shop, have to report the othovox was a little complex, and gave all manner of strange readings, the Element was simple to use. Under stress, in an emergency I therefore based my purchasing decision on this 20 minute shop test. As you would be under stress were you locate a victim. We had 3 transceivers out, the Element proved easiest to use. I therefore invested in the Mammut. Just thought I'd update you folk. Hope I never have to use it....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...