UKC

crampons on a budget.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

So after being very bored over the winter months for the past few years I have decided to get into winter walking and build up to climbing.

Anyway I have bought myself a pair of Scarpa Manta boots which has put a seriously big dent in the budget. Next up is a pair of crampons to fit.

Whilst I would love a pair of high end crampons like Grivel G12’s. At the moment I can’t really afford to spend big bucks. I have seen online a number of much cheaper pairs (like £25) that might just do for winter days out in the lakes. Such as:

http://en.futailong.com/news-detail-4364.html

I know they probably won’t take abuse anything like as well as a proper pair but given that I’ll be staring out on simple walks where the crampons may well stay in my pack 90% of the time do you think these will be worth getting in the short term (i.e better than nothing)?
 buzby 08 Jan 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

keep an eye out for a 2nd hand pair on here, crampons once they have been worn a few times look like 2nd hand anyway pretty quickly. possibly better with robust 2nd hand ones that were well made than cheap new ones.
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
Cheap, non-branded crampons such as those are very unlikley to have passed any sort of UIAA test and are probably unsafe to use in the mountains. Yes, the big-name brands are expensive, but there's a reason for that - they're safe and work as they should. Grivel G12's really aren't the high end of the crampon market I'm afraid!

Either look for a second hand pair on here (Petzl, Black Diamond, Grivel or Salwea are the main big players) or hunt around proper outdoor shops for deals. The North Ridge Crampons sold by Go Outdoors are essentially Grivel crampons and are quite cheap if I remember. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you decathalon do something as well.
Post edited at 15:30
 pdone 08 Jan 2016

Climbing Technology make some very good value crampons. They also make some instep crampons which sell for well under £50 which are perfectly adequate for 'frozen footpaths' and much easier to walk in when conditions are frozen but the ice/snow cover isn't sufficient to make wearing full crampons 'comfortable'.
 lithos 08 Jan 2016

i think they might be ok and they might be lethal, the bmc has some examples of similar that bent in use, id put the money towards a 2nd hand pair or more budget oriented reputable pair.

ive pmd you as well

JoshOvki 08 Jan 2016
In reply to lithos:

> the bmc has some examples of similar that bent in use

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/dangerous-crampons-online
 Jack B 08 Jan 2016

There are some very dangerous crampons being sold on-line, so no, I wouldn't touch those ones with a bargepole.

A few years ago we were buying a batch of crampons for a student mountaineering club. We wanted the simplest, cheapest safe crampon available. I think Climbing Technology and AustriAlpin both had something cheap but suitable. You could also try second hand, as has been mentioned above.

I doubt you want suggestions of more things to buy, but the first few times you use them you might find some dirt cheap gaiters/waterproof trousers a good investment, if they save trashing a good quality pair.
Iain(2010) 08 Jan 2016
Hey Paul, are you from near KL, LA6 ? Limestone, just getting into winter stuff etc. rings a bell here.

Have a look at some of the winter stuff on Decathlons website. They sell a lot of Simond stuff which has a decent rep and isn't too pricey.
Post edited at 16:12
In reply to Iain(2010):

hi
yeah KL thats me... i assume Iain as in over yourkshire way? small world isnt it!

ok so general consensus is that anything that isnt a proper brand is a no no. not the answer i was hoping for but i am very glad i asked, so thanks for the reply's.

though there are some more appealing options popping up. the price of the CT stuff seems reasonable certainly cheaper than in the shops!
In reply to lithos:

hi

your PM hasnt seemed to have made it through, though i have just swiched my email account over.
 lithos 08 Jan 2016

Paul i have a few pairs of cramps im selling, pm for photos etc
 Hat Dude 08 Jan 2016

Review of the CT Nupste 12 points

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300

On offer at Joe Browns for less than a fiver more than the 10 points

http://www.joe-brown.com/10035/products/climbing-technology-nuptse-classic-...

There was a recall of them last year but it seemed to all be handled perfectly correctly which is probably a recommendation of CT
Iain(2010) 08 Jan 2016

Yes that's me, small world indeed. Did a 3 hour wall session last night which was great as I just haven't been doing much recently.
I'm hopefully going up to Scotland so I'll give you a buzz. I have someone that would lend you some gear if you didn't have any by then.
Enjoy a rain free weekend....
 TobyA 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Review of the CT Nupste 12 points

That was me - yeah, the CT ones are great value for money at 80, so are a real steal at that price you've found.

Paul, are you ever anywhere near Sheffield? If so you can have my old Grivels for a tenner (if they fit your boots). I could post them too, but that would probably double the price to you, so not sure if it would be worth it? http://bitsandbobsandoddsandsods.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/grivel-2fs.html?m=0 They are absolutely fine - if old, but I've only used them for the odd day here and there over the last decade so if someone else can get some use out of them, that would be great.
 carr0t 08 Jan 2016
Go with a good second hand pair. I got my full set of winter kit for just a tad over 250 quid used. Axes, boots and crampons. Boots were even new with tags on them. The quality of the setup is pretty damn good at bargain prices. Stick to the named brands and you will get something that will see you through a good couple of seasons. If e-baying stick to the sellers that are very clearly climbers that are selling their old kit.
Post edited at 20:06
 mattsccm 10 Jan 2016
Plenty of used stuff on Ebay. Something like a pair of old Salewa classic will be fine. Even old Mantas were just stiff enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...