UKC

Tenerife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Owldog1 08 Jan 2016
Hi there
I am looking for any information on climbing guide books for Tenerife...the only one I can find is out of print. Also I would really appreciate any information on what the climbing is like. Thinking of a trip next December.

Many thanks in advance
 najki_2000 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

The book is called Tenerife - escalada deportiva. We got ours from the climbing shop in Arico. The climbing is pretty good. We mainly climbed in the main Arico gorge - cool rock with some amazing pockets and nice to the skin (my skin is very soft but here I could climb all day every day without any issues). We went in November and it was warm enough to go for a swim (el medano was our favourite spot - not overly touristy) but up in the gorge it tended to be cloudy and cooler. We stayed in Granadilla but would opt for somewhere closer to Arico if going again.
Hope that helps
 The Ivanator 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Owldog1:
Have you seen the article on Tenerife here?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4410
I'm sure Sue (the author) would be happy to tell you more if you PM her. Bald Eagle of this parish made a little Tenerife video that might whet the appetite too:
youtube.com/watch?v=I4-bJWAJ-HE&
Owldog1 09 Jan 2016
In reply to najki_2000:

Thank you so much...will check all this out. Many thanks
Owldog1 09 Jan 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thank you, so kind. Regards Owldog1
alibaba 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

http://www.geoquest-verlag.de/?q=node%2F368

Most up to date guidebook.
Owldog1 13 Jan 2016
In reply to alibaba:

Thanks for this.....looks like it is only available in German?
Regards

Owldog1
 Ian Bell 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

I was just there over New year.

Tenerife - escalada deportiva is the most up to date one I know and can be got from the climbing shop in Arico. They sell them and also hire it (only 5 euro for your whole trip). Would echo a lot of what Najki_2000 said, I also stayed in Granadilla and Arico might be better. On the other hand its only about 30 mins drive and Granadilla has more shops etc. You could also easily stay on the coast as all the mountain villages are accessible quite fast from the ring road.

The Tenerife article sums up the crags well, my few extra thoughts would be;

Arico - most extensive and the choice of sun or shade in the day is nice. Good abrasive rock. A number of the routes short but plenty up to c20m as well.
Guaria - I thought the best crag on the island. Long routes and generally decent rock. Very hot though, even in early Jan it was a bit warm with no cloud.
Canades (volcano) - the rock type is fun but its a bit of a pain to find routes and wasn't super impressed by the climbing. Would definitely spend at least 1 day there though as its beautiful.
El Rio - Lovely long slab routes in the main crag although again hot. The shadier harder bit (Zona Zero) was also good.

Overall I though great place for a winter trip, pretty cheap away from the tourist spots, easy to get around, good climbing and good weather.
Owldog1 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Ian Bell:

Many thanks for your reply...looks like we will have to get the guide book there , would be better to peruse it before hand. I'll maybe email them.
Anyway very helpful information and sounds like you had a good trip. Many thanks
 Ian Bell 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

no problem, I also forgot to say there are a couple of new areas near Arico that have been bolted but aren't in the guidebook. c100 routes between them. topos from the store in Arico for free / donation to the bolt fund.
Georgi Abrashev 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

Hello,

I live in Tenerife, if you could not find an online store to buy it I can get it from the shop here and sent it to you. A new topo including the new areas will be available soon, so probably is worth waiting if you plan to come December.

The rock is pretty amazing for me, I will upload some photos soon as I am new to the forum.

What I think is if you plan to come and organise everything by yourself for just a week would be hard to experience all that Tenerife can offer. Its just my observation since I live here for an year now. Tenerife is surprising me every day
Georgi Abrashev 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

Hi again,

you can see a climbing map of Tenerife here http://bit.ly/1WenJHX
Removed User 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

I think cordee have the guidebook in stock. Your profile doesnt say what grade you lead. I was there in January.......as a grade f5c climber i struggled. The climbing is like grit...sloppers and strenous. Routes badly bolted with ground fall potential. You want to be operating in the f6b and up grades to get the most out of it.
 fraserbarrett 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Sorry to contradict, I was down there with Ian, and was injured so climbed nearly 50 6a/+'s. The bolting can be run out and a clip stick may be in order to protect the first bolt, but after the first bolt I never felt in danger of a ground fall, even if I did feel at times like I really didn't want to fall...
 Kid Spatula 11 Feb 2016
In reply to fraserbarrett:

Yeah as a 6a/b climber there was a fair bit of sub 6s. Most of it well bolted. Didnt really think many routes where run out. The rock is odd though and every cliff is different.

I did find the world's hardest 4+ though. At least 6a+ and at Arico. Clipping the chains was nails.
 wkrzys 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Owldog1:

I've also spent a January climbing in Tenerife (2 years ago), this Jan I was in Gran Canaria. Both are excellent winter climbing venues with dependable weather, variety of styles/rock and routes. Most of the info has been covered above, but I'd suggest if you want a more adventerous multi-pitch day check out La Catedral in the heart of the island in the volcano bowl at 2000m+. A lot of routes up it, some sport, some trad, some mixed sport/trad across all grades and a fun afternoon out with great views. When we went it was hard to find info about it so best source is to go to the mentioned climbing shop and ask them for a copy of Topos...

This blog (not mine) will give you a flavour; http://tenerifevertical.blogspot.ch/2013/09/la-catedral-2137mts-cara-norte-...

Enjoy!
 NottsRich 12 Feb 2016
Sorry to hijack slightly...

I've got a few days in Tenerife coming up soon and would like to take my climbing kit. I'll probably get 1 day climbing, maybe 2, and would be looking for 4+ to 6a routes to suit us both. Can anyone recommend anywhere that has some more 'mountain' style routes rather than short cragging routes? We'll have a car. Multipitch bolted grade 4-5 would be ideal, although I'll take a light rack if there's space. La Catedral looks good but like wkrzys said, info is sketchy. I'd like to make a good plan before we go so any online info would be a bonus.

Also, is this miniguide worth taking or is it too old to be useful?

http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/miniguides/tenerife/

Thanks.
In reply to NottsRich:
Mini guide is still useful for up on Teide and as cross check for other areas as it's a much clearer topo, though if you buy the guidebook from the climbing shop in Arico you'll be totally covered. I've got a photo of the la cathedral topo - not great but message me if you want it. The normal way up to the left 5+ish has mostly bolted anchors and a few bolts on first pitch but you will need trad gear between. Routefinding is tough. There's a 6a+ish route up the middle which has more obvious bolts but I'd still take some cams.
Post edited at 09:29
Removed User 13 Feb 2016
In reply to fraserbarrett:

The bolting on the 5s might have been fine for a f6+ climber but for a f5 climber i think the bolting could have been much better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...