UKC

Health fads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 08 Jan 2016

Ok, being of a "certain age", the thread linked to below, made me think. I remember from the 70's, when fitness fads boomed; martial arts (Bruce Lee), body building (Arnold,) the marathon running/jogging (Jim Fixx,) Aerobics (Fonda,) even if you think about it things like skateboarding, mountain biking, and dare I say rock climbing, all came into wider public notice then.

Maybe it was just the spread of TV during that generation that pushed these, but they certainly had a lasting impact on society.

I think back over the 21 years my kid has been around, and apart from competitive thumb twiddling on play stations and the like, I cannot think of any health or fitness fad which has had an impact, can you?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=632102
Post edited at 20:34
 jimjimjim 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Cross fit is the big one at the moment. A massive movement that's easily as big as the ones you've mentioned. Really fitness though. I don't do it but have a look at the cross fit games on youtube and you'll see what I'm on about.
OP Big Ger 08 Jan 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

Cheers Jim, I'll have a look.
Removed User 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Health fads are bad, especially dietary ones.

Recently we were told that black pudding would turn you into a big fat northern man with a flat cap and give you a heart attack. Now it is a superfood.

Recently we were told that red wine would reduce cholesterol. Now one glass will give you cancer.

Purveyors of fads are bad for your health. They cause stress. Fatty red meat and wine make me happy, and that has to be good for me.
 The New NickB 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Jogging / Running is huge again, look at parkrun or 200,000 people entering the London Marathon ballot.

I would also add cycling to that.
OP Big Ger 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Those are diet fads, though I can see why the ones I listed could be seen a bad;
martial arts; getting beaten up
body building; Man boobs
the marathon running/jogging; heart attacks
Aerobics; inappropriate Lycra.
skateboarding; Broken bones,
mountain biking; Cycle nazis
rock climbing; addictive.

In reply to Big Ger:

Over the last 20 years it has to be the celebrity fitness DVD.
 Dave the Rave 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Steroids and weights . There's now lots of hoodie types with huge torsos and no legs as the image is huge upper body and legs like pipe cleaners. No wonder their kecks fall down!
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Agreed - both running and cycling seem to have boomed recently, could it partially be down to Strava (others do exist, but...) and GPS watches creating a greater degree of accountability and competitiveness between your mates? Plus it makes keeping up with training super easy.
In reply to ianstevens:

> Agreed - both running and cycling seem to have boomed recently, could it partially be down to Strava (others do exist, but...) and GPS watches creating a greater degree of accountability and competitiveness between your mates? Plus it makes keeping up with training super easy.

I suspect strava is a symptom rather than cause.
 1poundSOCKS 08 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Agreed - both running and cycling seem to have boomed recently

TdF has inspired a lot of people to try road cycling I reckon. Will it last? There seem to be a fair few expensive road bikes, that haven't had much use, for sale on Facebook.

Has running boomed? Did the Olympics help?
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
> TdF has inspired a lot of people to try road cycling I reckon. Will it last? There seem to be a fair few expensive road bikes, that haven't had much use, for sale on Facebook.

> Has running boomed? Did the Olympics help?

Not so sure on cycling (I'm only a part-time cyclist), but for running I've noticed a general upward trend post olympics, and was arguably part of this myself having competed in track events as a teenager, cutting my mileage to the point I was almost quitting, and deciding to get back to it with some inspiration from Farah et al., coupled with the rising popularity of the running-based style of attacking big peaks pushed by Ueli Steck and Killian Jornet (amongst others of course). This week the roads around my parts have been rammed with the NYE crowd, far more so than in previous years. It somehow just seems to be more acceptable to the masses than it used to be - which is in no way a bad thing.
Post edited at 21:41
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Has running boomed? Did the Olympics help?

parkrun, parkrun, parkrun. Tomorrow morning 100,000 people will run a timed 5k across about 500 events in the UK. Add 10,000 volunteers as well. It happens every week.
In reply to Big Ger:
Maybe you're looking in the wrong places Instagram popular trends at the minute would have me believe that;

Yoga, parkour and calisthenics are all very much 'in'

Less fitness enthusiast focused are things like Zumba and charity runs such as race for life.

Roller derby is growing quickly too.
Post edited at 21:53
 Chris the Tall 08 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:
> Agreed - both running and cycling seem to have boomed recently, could it partially be down to Strava (others do exist, but...) and GPS watches creating a greater degree of accountability and competitiveness between your mates? Plus it makes keeping up with training super easy.

Have GPS watch and bike device, which motivate me to go out and run/cycle in conditions when it would be easier to stay at home, but it has nothing to do with Strava and being competitive with my mates. It's because I get satisfaction from clocking up the mileage, setting myself personal targets. And I get a buzz simply from exercising. But this is no fad - I been like this all my life. Never been one for the gym, tried it a few times, but I crave fresh air - even a cold,wet and windy night ride is better than a treadmill or exercise bike indoors.

As to Parkruns, my local one is incredibly popular- 600 runners of all shapes, sizes and ages. Very friendly and supportive. I just struggle to get going by 9 any day of the week, let alone a Saturday
Post edited at 21:59
 1poundSOCKS 08 Jan 2016

> parkrun, parkrun, parkrun. Tomorrow morning 100,000 people will run a timed 5k across about 500 events in the UK. Add 10,000 volunteers as well. It happens every week.

Maybe prior to that, they all just went for a run in the local woods, now they all congregrate in the same places for organised events, and it looks like it's boomed.
 Chris the Tall 08 Jan 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

One thing I've noticed is the increase in women running. Still a minority in "proper" races, slightly higher at Parkruns. But when I'm cycling through the parks in the mornings it's more like 75%
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

But you're not the target market of health fads - for some, that little extra push of competitor whether against yourself or others gets you out the door, then good stuff, especially if it's what makes you exercise full stop.

Totally agree with you on the gym, it's horrid.
OP Big Ger 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Thanks people, some interesting replies.
 Rampikino 08 Jan 2016

> parkrun, parkrun, parkrun. Tomorrow morning 100,000 people will run a timed 5k across about 500 events in the UK. Add 10,000 volunteers as well. It happens every week.

This
 Brass Nipples 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
Mass participation triathlons that kicked off in the 90's but are now very much mainstream.
Post edited at 22:39
 Brass Nipples 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Sportives, the equivalent of the parkrun for cyclists.
 hokkyokusei 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Prancercise will be the next big thing, mark my words: youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew&
In reply to Orgsm:

> Sportives, the equivalent of the parkrun for cyclists.

Tended not to be free last time I looked. parkrun is a race that isn't a race, Sportives really need not to be a race.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Maybe prior to that, they all just went for a run in the local woods, now they all congregrate in the same places for organised events, and it looks like it's boomed.

Those people are still doing that, at a guess half the people in parkrun are completely new to running when they start.
 Brass Nipples 09 Jan 2016

> Tended not to be free last time I looked. parkrun is a race that isn't a race, Sportives really need not to be a race.

Sportives aren't races either. If you want to race then crits or cyclocross is where you need to be.
Removed User 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Steroids and weights . There's now lots of hoodie types with huge torsos and no legs as the image is huge upper body and legs like pipe cleaners. No wonder their kecks fall down!

Boulderers?
abseil 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> ....Recently we were told that red wine would reduce cholesterol. Now one glass will give you cancer.....

I remember a few years ago when the papers were full of "Red wine is incredibly healthy drink it and you'll live to be 500...." etc.

I laughed my head off then at the sheer idiocy of the idea.
 1poundSOCKS 09 Jan 2016
In reply to abseil:

> I remember a few years ago when the papers were full of "Red wine is incredibly healthy drink it and you'll live to be 500...." etc.

I remember a while back there was talk in the media of certain benefits of red wine, and the French paradox. Wasn't there any evidence?
 The New NickB 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Sportives aren't races either. If you want to race then crits or cyclocross is where you need to be.

I think you have missed my point.
 Flinticus 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I'd add body pump, a very popular (mostly women) and demanding gym class. It's practiced across the world with the same routines and music issued regularly.
In reply to Big Ger:

Not really a health fad, but the TRX suspension/cross trainer seems to be becoming popular at climbing walls alongside the Campus and System boards and Kraft rings. Mrs Paul In Sheffield uses a gym where they're so popular it's difficult to get on one. Inspired, I've put one up at home with the Kraft rings and am presently aching in muscles I wasn't aware I had...
 Tom Last 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

>

> skateboarding; Broken bones,

I don't think Skateboarding is/has been a fad really. It's been around consistently since the 70s(60s) at least for one thing (at least in the US) and moreover for the 1st year at least, it's amazingly difficult to do even the most basic manoeuvres; to much skill involved to be a fad.

Buying a skateboard on the other hand - maybe that's been a fad!
 Siward 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Dance seems to have become incredibly popular. Lots of school age kids take dance lessons- as they always have really but seems 'in' this last 10 years or so.
 ianstevens 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

But it (skateboarding) did seem to become more popular in the mid-2000s, or maybe it's because I was in my mid-teens then?
In reply to ianstevens:

> But it (skateboarding) did seem to become more popular in the mid-2000s, or maybe it's because I was in my mid-teens then?

Nope very much a 70's peak to Skate boarding

Chris the Tall 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Sportives, the equivalent of the parkrun for cyclists.

Parkruns are free and run by volunteers, sportives are pretty expensive and increasingly seem to be run for profit. Unless you've got closed roads I can't see the appeal of them myself.

Sportives have always been run for profit and been expensive from the start. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole either.

In reply to Big Ger:

Army or military fitness is a relatively new one isn't it?

Gone 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Obstacle races - the ones that get you muddy.
 Lurking Dave 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Changes in the past five years...

Fitness - Crossfit or other generic HIIT (e.g. F45 or BodyRock.tv)
Participation - triathlon, mud races etc.
Cycling - everything

All have roots going back years (Tough Guy race, Crossfit journal etc.) but the common element that they have exploited is social media... post your WoD results for comments, if it's not on Strava (it didn't happen) etc. This may sound crap to the uninitiated, but trust me it brings motivation (and downsides) to millions.

Cheers
LD
 Andy Morley 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

There was loads of stuff before the '70s, during the 19th and early 20th centuries, ranging from Calisthenics and 'Modern Dance' through to mechanical vibrating belts to reduce your spare tyre.

Biggest current fad of relevance that I've seen is protein shakes (more a bouldering than a trad climbing thing), or the more natural 'organic' alternatives like a handful of almonds during the post-exercise 1.5 hour window. That last one actually works, though I personally go for eggs and fish as well as the almonds.
 Clarence 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Biggest current fad of relevance that I've seen is protein shakes

This seems to be leaking into everything at the moment, probably because even poundshop gyms seem to push a range of protein shakes. I have had to stop idiots downing a protein shake at half-time during a karate lesson. They often get rehydration and protein drinks confused but clearing up banana flavoured vomit from the mats isn't much fun. They even sell protein shakes at the pro-shop on my local golf course!
 Andy Morley 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Clarence:

> This seems to be leaking into everything at the moment, probably because even poundshop gyms seem to push a range of protein shakes. I have had to stop idiots downing a protein shake at half-time during a karate lesson. They often get rehydration and protein drinks confused but clearing up banana flavoured vomit from the mats isn't much fun. They even sell protein shakes at the pro-shop on my local golf course!

The organic version works well for me. Almonds and skimmed milk immediately after exercise followed by kippers and poached eggs or something like that as soon as I get home have massively reduced night-time muscle aches in my upper arms and shoulders, which in turn means that I sleep better.
 Rampikino 11 Jan 2016

I saw a post on my FB that quoted 140,000 for Saturday. This is a phenomenal amount. Sure, there is a New Year boost, but parkrun continues to grown and many more events will be added this year.

I don't think parkrun could be called a fad to be honest - it's become established now.
 Shani 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I can see bodyweight training (and possibly slacklining), becoming big next year due to the influence of Erwan Le Corre and Ido Portal in MMA.
cb294 11 Jan 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Saw that video once and wanted to gouge out my eyes! Where is my bucket of mind bleach?

CB

Clarence 11 Jan 2016
In reply to cb294:

I just watched it! Somebody get that woman a smoothgroove!
 Andy Morley 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Serious question on the subject for anyone still reading this thread - Has anyone ever had or heard about allergies to cod-liver oil?
 Rob Naylor 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Army or military fitness is a relatively new one isn't it?

British Military Fitness (BMF) has been going for 12 years, to my knowledge.
In reply to Big Ger:

I'm currently a one man fitness fad of skipping. Just me in my back garden, jumping way too high with huge arm movements wondering if I will ever get the hang of it. Floyd Mayweather I am not......yet
 Clarence 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Serious question on the subject for anyone still reading this thread - Has anyone ever had or heard about allergies to cod-liver oil?

Yes, if you are allergic to fish then you will be allergic to fish oil as well.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/276877-fish-oil-allergy-symptoms/
 Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I cannot think of any health or fitness fad which has had an impact, can you?

Going to the climbing wall and then the pub was quite a big thing back in the 70s. For me it faded out after about 30 years and now I only seem to manage to do the wall part regularly...

planetmarshall 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I think back over the 21 years my kid has been around, and apart from competitive thumb twiddling on play stations and the like, I cannot think of any health or fitness fad which has had an impact, can you?

Off the top of my head,

MMA,
Pilates,
Yoga,
Tabata,
British Military Fitness,
Crossfit,
Obstacle racing (Tough Guy, Tough Mudder etc),
Parkrun...

Andy Morley 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clarence:

> Yes, if you are allergic to fish then you will be allergic to fish oil as well. > http://www.livestrong.com/article/276877-fish-oil-allergy-symptoms/

Thanks for the link. I'm not allergic to fish protein, in fact I eat fish a lot and I seem to thrive on it. However I bought a bottle of codliver oil the other week and when I tried drinking it out of a 10mm measuring cup, I got some on my lip which swelled up. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe not. The health benefits they claim for it include relieving aching muscles which is obviously of interest to anyone who uses a climbing wall a lot.

Clarence 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Sounds like it might be a type specific allergy, I know someone who can munch down cod or haddock all day but can't touch salmon. Or it may be something in greater concentration in the oil that you don't notice in the fish? If it makes your lip swell on contact then that is a sign not to touch it. Have you tried different brands?
 mark s 12 Jan 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

> Cross fit is the big one at the moment. A massive movement that's easily as big as the ones you've mentioned. Really fitness though. I don't do it but have a look at the cross fit games on youtube and you'll see what I'm on about.

great if you want a laugh at how not to lift weights or do pull ups.
 Sealwife 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Weight lifting seems to be a pretty big growth thing in women's fitness at the moment. I'm seeing a lot of women lifting big weights and reading a fair bit of negativity regarding any sort of cardio based exercise.
 Andy Morley 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clarence:

> Have you tried different brands?

Nope, only the one - I might email them and ask them, if they have a help-desk.
 jimjimjim 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mark s:

Old joke. Cross fit has taught more people to Olympic lift than ever before and it's only because they're new to it that the form can appear poor. Kipping pull ups are just a different type of pull up. Like I say it's not my cup of tea but I think it's a legitimate way to get fit.
 didntcomelast 13 Jan 2016
Seeing more women of all shapes, sizes and ages out running has been great as it motivated my couch potato daughter to get out as well. She now regularly runs in our local park run and 'enjoys' it. By her own admission she was unfit and over weight but she can now run 5k without keeling over. The pride she has in her achievement over the past 6 months is well earned.
 planetmarshall 13 Jan 2016
In reply to jimjimjim and mark s:

> great if you want a laugh at how not to lift weights or do pull ups.

> Old joke. Cross fit has taught more people to Olympic lift than ever before...

CrossFit Good. CrossFit Bad. Blah blah blah...

"CrossFit" has not taught anyone to do anything. Your CrossFit coach may, or may not have taught you to lift weights properly. However it makes sense for Glassman's business model to give people the absolute minimum of certification necessary to run a CrossFit franchise, which means different gyms (or 'boxes') can have very different standards of coaching.
 jimjimjim 15 Jan 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> CrossFit Good. CrossFit Bad. Blah blah blah...

> Your CrossFit coach may, or may not have taught you to lift weights properly.
I don't do CrossFit
I train in a gym across the road from one and it's busy as fook. Shit loads of people going at it. If you don't like it fine but I see no reason to slate it. You know no more about the coach's credentials than I do. If you don't know don't comment. You could say the same about anything. There's a pool where I swim with loads of swimming coach's, are the shit too?

Brass Nipples 15 Jan 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

Kenton Cool does cross fit. He seems to do ok by it.

planetmarshall 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Kenton Cool does cross fit. He seems to do ok by it.

Great, but Kenton Cool is an extremely talented Alpinist. He could probably outperform most of us regardless of what regime he used.

Steve House and Mark Twight were quite dismissive of it ( as a training regime for athletes ), but then Twight operates a gym franchise of his own in the States so he's not exactly impartial.
 ianstevens 18 Jan 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Steve House and Mark Twight were quite dismissive of it ( as a training regime for athletes ), but then Twight operates a gym franchise of his own in the States so he's not exactly impartial.

The main reason for their scepticism is becasue of its relevance (or lack thereof) to any sort of functional alpinism strength. Being able to go full blast for 20 minutes from fresh means very little in the context of a 12 + hour alpine bender.
cap'nChino 18 Jan 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

> Cross fit is the big one at the moment. A massive movement that's easily as big as the ones you've mentioned. Really fitness though. I don't do it but have a look at the cross fit games on youtube and you'll see what I'm on about.

youtube.com/watch?v=ODygoM-VZt8&

My word, just seems like a bunch of Douchebag Bros at the gym. I am amazed at the crowd it attracts though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...