UKC

How does the lakes look?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnBson 08 Jan 2016
Is there anything high and white in the lakes worth a 2 hour drive?
 jas wood 09 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/ snow down up top but nothing will be consildated so depends what your after. Striding,sharp edge, pinnacle ridge on gable (maybe).
Pay your money and take your chance, or not.
OP JohnBson 09 Jan 2016
In reply to jas wood:

Thanks, precisely the kind of link I've been searching for!
 Wesley Orvis 09 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson: pretty disappointing amount of snow today should be more by tomorrow. Nothing frozen.

LakeDistrictMountaineer 10 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

Definitely a lot more snow has come down and everything above 500m has a covering. Not sure about how frozen places are as I only saw the snow on my drive to work.
 DSM 10 Jan 2016
Ran round the Coniston felltops Sun/PM taking in Dow, CoM, Swirl How, Greyfriar etc.

These fells have a covering of mainly wet snow but only for the top ~150m or so.
There was plenty of water/mush on the tops & everything under the snow remains sodden.

So fine conditions for running & walking but that's all.

DSM.
 Root1 11 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:
A bit wild on the top of Great Gable on Sunday, i was blown over several times. There was up to two feet of snow in places climbing up from Windy Gap. It is mostly soft snow and was just starting to get a little crunchy on top. The top 500ft or so was on virgin snow and not another footprint seen all day.
Big Mountain Man 11 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:
Anything at Brown Cove Crags? any consolidation

Kid Spatula 11 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

Anyone reckon Sharp or Striding Edge will be in by the weekend? Looks vaguely promising from the weather.

Thinking Striding is better for the two newbies I'd be with.
 wupert 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Sharp Edge this morning Sharp Edge (Winter) (I/II)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert-cook/24235082121/in/datetaken-friend/

Its not quite as good as it looks, I reckon it was about plus 1 degree on the ridge, so the snow was slightly damp and unhelpful. Turf was only just frozen at the very top of the ridge (850m) and where exposed to wind.
Just needs to get a bit colder!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...