UKC

What to wear in Scotland in winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afearn91 09 Jan 2016
Hi all I was just wondering what people choose to wear climbing in Scotland in winter as I've read so many different options but obviously gear is expensive. Would appreciate anyone's help

Thanks

Adam
 Roberttaylor 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

Buffalo big face shirt
synthetic belay jacket of some sort, loads of people make these
Buffalo teclite salopettes
ronhill leggings if it is really cold, thin baselayer tights if not too cold
wicking boxer shorts
woolen socks

After this all you need are gloves, boots etc.
 Pbob 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

If you're on a tight budget you can get Helly Hansen polypropelene thermals at Screwfix for a reasonable price. They aren't called smelly hellys for nothing but they do the job for Scotland in winter.
 Albert Tatlock 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

A thermal kilt
 aldo56 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Shorts and T-shirt does me but I do run warm.
 abr1966 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

Marmot soft shell trousers, wicking t shirt, fleece jumper then weather dictates which outer layers....I'm warm though when I'm moving but quickly cold when I stop. It depends a lot on whether you want to avoid sweating! I prefer to be just slightly colder to avoid sweating but it depends on your own physiology in part and reading your own body signs to check your core and external temps. Layers tend to work better I think but I'm pretty old school and my kit is probably quite old fashioned!
 planetmarshall 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

Vaseline.
OP afearn91 09 Jan 2016

Do you wear the big face shirt next to skin as that's the only thing that puts me of buffalo as I'm quite a small guy and get cold fairly easily
 IPPurewater 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

Layers. What do you have already ?
OP afearn91 09 Jan 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

I have base layers, fleeces, soft shells, waterproofs. Just wanted to get an idea of what people wear generally
 Billhook 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

All you need is a watertight, breathable outer layer Goretex or one of the many other breathables. (trousers + top)

All the rest is stuff you may already have or doesn't cost the earth.

A fleece.

A shirt, wool or synthetic Failing that a wool or synthetic vest and thin fleece over.

Thickish trousers - you may have summer ones but you could always wear these and use a thin pair of long john type stuff under

You don't need expensive, fancy kit - but it may make it more comfortable!.

No one on here can tell you what you need to keep yourself warm. Only you know, and if you don't know your first outing in winter will soon give you a fair bit of knowledge.
 bouldery bits 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

Buffalo next to the skin works great. You can add a baselayer but tbh you'll likely just reduce the effectiveness of the system.
 PPP 09 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:

I found a nice pair of merino wool baselayers can make a huge impact. I have been using one shirt since 2009 (sometimes daily as the temperatures dropped to -25/-30 before windchill) and it does not look pretty any more, but damn that was a really good investment.
In reply to afearn91:
If you keep moving you can get by with thick trousers, a fleece, down jacket and beanie. Hand warmers in the chalk bag can be useful.

I don't think Goretex is essential since Ratho fixed the roof last year,
Post edited at 21:51
Oh No not the can of worms that surrounds Ron Hills!
 Roberttaylor 10 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91: I do. I'm not small (just over 6ft) but am slim and find this works fine for me.
 Roberttaylor 10 Jan 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe: I use Ronhills to surround my can of worms.
Woolly Mammut 11 Jan 2016
In reply to afearn91:
As far as outer layer goes, Keela Munro jacket + matching Munro range trousers that zip onto it are amazing and hugely more affordable than the big names. Nothing suits the wet + windy, along with chilling temperatures better.

Scottish Search and Rescue don't use them for nothing.
Post edited at 01:50
 kwoods 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Woolly Mammut:

I have found Keelas Munro jacket to be disappointing. Great when I first got it but deteriorated very rapidly unfortunately. Now it just sucks in water and appears not ot be waterproof in the slightest.

I however have their Munro salopettes, use them all the time in winter, and they're fantastic, so maybe I just got unlucky with the jacket..?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...