UKC

Inglorious Basterds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Jan 2016
Following on from the Mr Turner thread - this is another film that appears to be favoured by critics and the public alike.

I thought it was heap of cack, and only managed to get 2/3 of the way through. Unadulterated bilge, with the added negative that it reduced WWII to a cartoon event. What am I missing?
 gribble 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The ending!
 Chris the Tall 10 Jan 2016

Agree, didn't like this nor Django unchained, despite the accolades it got. But I did really like Kill Bill, and Pulp fiction. Not keen on violence in films, but somehow in kill bill it seemed more integral and less gratuitous
 robandian 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Quite enjoy Tarantino blood fests - but the Django Mandingo fight to the death was disturbing !
 elliott92 10 Jan 2016

I don't think I've watched a Tarantino film that I haven't loved. He did an episode of csi which was quality as well

I liked it and thought it was one of brads best turns. Christophe waltz was awesome too.
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2016
In reply to robandian:

> Quite enjoy Tarantino blood fests - but the Django Mandingo fight to the death was disturbing !

You weren't supposed to enjoy it!
 Dauphin 12 Jan 2016
How could you not root for the 'Bear Jew' knocking it out of the park? Bowies Cat People and the way Chris Waltz attacks the cream cake. Audacious, Iconoclastic, Nazi-Killin fun.

I want my scalps!

D
Post edited at 00:27
 Lead dnf 12 Jan 2016
In reply to gribble:

worst bit
 stp 16 Jan 2016

I liked it for the tension. Taranatino is real master of building tension and does it exquisitely in this film I thought. I think using the Nazis as a backdrop for this worked well because of the utter ruthlessness they're always portrayed as. I preferred Inglorious Basterds to Kill Bill.
 Roadrunner5 16 Jan 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Thought that and Django were great. Really enjoyed them both.

TBH I think any film Brad is in often very good.

Removed User 16 Jan 2016

I'm looking forwards to the Hateful8. I like Tarantino and I seem to get the abstract that he throws into a film. I guess he isn't targeting everyone so you are proving his point.

I didn't see Inglorious Basterds, but did see Django Unchained, which I thought was crap with capital letters, and offensive with it, in that it 'aestheticised' violence in an entirely gratuitous and thus very immature, childish way. The screenplay was crap too in that, after the final bloodbath, it didn't know how to end. So it had the big house blowing up and turning into an inferno in a very routine, unrealistic Hollywood kind of way.
 Babika 19 Jan 2016

I love Tarantino full stop. You have to look beyond the blood fest at the whole genre he's playing with.

My favourite is Pulp Fiction (of course) followed by Jackie Brown and then Inglorious. I even like Death Proof, a nod to grimehouse, although QT says its his worst. The lap dancing and car crash scenes relayed over and over to banal 60's music are masterful.

And the feet. Has anyone else noticed that QT has a foot fetish? Mainly Uma Thurman's but I start to look out for it now in each film.

Haven't seen Ha8ful Eight yet but planning this Friday......
 veteye 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

You would be better going to see Ueli Steck at the RGS on Friday instead.Then see Tarantino on Saturday if not away climbing.
 faffergotgunz 19 Jan 2016

NEIN! NEIN NEIN NEIN!
Ihre Meinung ist mir egal!

Removed User 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Django Unchained, which I thought was crap with capital letters, and offensive with it, in that it 'aestheticised' violence in an entirely gratuitous and thus very immature, childish way.

I agree that Django's violence was often silly and gratuitous, as is generally the way with Tarantino films, but the thought that much the same, and worse, really was inflicted on generations of slaves was also quite sobering - in a way more so than '12 Years...'.
Removed User 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I agree. I left my brain at home when I went to see Django Unchained as I figured it would be a Tom and Jerry cartoon with a load of utterly contrived challenges to PC sensibilities and I was right. Part of me enjoyed some of it but the whole thing was gratuitous, which is the point I suppose, but it's the sort of thing that might merit a sketch rather than a film, and certainly not a career.

Same goes for Inglorius Basterds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...