UKC

David Bowie RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 11 Jan 2016
As a child of the 70's he was a massive part of me a musical talent not to be replaced.
RIP
 Big Ger 11 Jan 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

Such a shame, a great talent.
 Skyfall 11 Jan 2016

Strange timing with the release of his new album and his ex being on CBB.

A rare talent indeed.
 sbc_10 11 Jan 2016

He has provided a soundtrack for most of our lives.
It is very sad news.

RIP.

I got to know DB quite recently as I didnt like his stuff as I was growing up. I can appreciate it now as someone of more mature years. A titan of the British and world popular music.
Gone for good 11 Jan 2016

Unbelievable talent. Can't believe he's gone.
Ground control to Major Tom
Your circuits dead there's something wrong'
RIP
 Paul Evans 11 Jan 2016

Really sad news - he'll be greatly missed.
 Chris the Tall 11 Jan 2016

Shocked by the news - one of music's greatest innovators, a genuine icon. Space oddity is one of my earliest musical memories

18 month battle with cancer apparently. He'd looked frail in recent videos, but then he always looked in need of a good meal
 Doug 11 Jan 2016

Arrived at work, turned on the PC & saw the news. Was only yesterday that I listened to his new 'record', seeing the headlines brings back memories of the 1970s, & of Friars (Aylesbury music club where Bowie played several times). Still can hardly believe it isn't a hoax

Oh my god !

Wondered why there playing all his stuff on radio 2 as I got into work
Missed the news on the way in .

Awful news.

Alyson 11 Jan 2016

I'm shocked and gutted. He was an immense talent, a gifted musical innovator and - thanks to Labyrinth and those tights - a notable part of my teenage awakenings. RIP Bowie.
In reply to Skyfall:

> Strange timing with the release of his new album and his ex being on CBB.

I know. He should have died either later or sooner.

The death from cancer of a 70 year old man who abused drink, drugs and tobacco for much of his life has come as a complete shock to, erm, no one.
 ThunderCat 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I know. He should have died either later or sooner.

> The death from cancer of a 70 year old man who abused drink, drugs and tobacco for much of his life has come as a complete shock to, erm, no one.

It's good to know there are at least one or two threads where people can refrain from the usual UKC cattiness.

fmck 11 Jan 2016

I remember over a year ago him talking about how he's started to look at his own mortality now with his years reaching the back end of 60s. It stuck with me that you really don't want to go there as its only going to depress you. I wonder now if news of his cancer was the reason.
 Skyfall 11 Jan 2016

Did you get out of bed the wrong side ...?

I just meant that he was in the public eye again (without actually being seen) after many years of virtual silence, which is a strange coincidence. Not that he had any choice in the matter.

His 'early' material up to Let's Dance was a big part of my childhood. He was a true icon and, because a large part of his appeal was more to do with artistic style, it's easy to underestimate how hugely influential he was on music at the time.
Post edited at 09:28
 The Lemming 11 Jan 2016

Gulp.

I was only listening to his stuff yesterday while driving around at work.

I think climbing at Trowbarrow will be more poiniant along with a climbing nod to the great man.
 Mick Ward 11 Jan 2016

What a heartless, nasty, horrible post.

Mick
Bogwalloper 11 Jan 2016

My knob-head radar just went haywire.

Wally

Really good selection of Bowie and Bowie inspired music on BBC 6music this morning.

Just heard Heroes in German!
 Rob Exile Ward 11 Jan 2016

Always sad when someone who was SO influential passes away; strangely he never did that much for me - I don't own a single album - but I certainly appreciate how memorable so many of his tracks were. And I can certainly remember bopping to them at uni, great days!

HOWEVER - is it me, or was the coverage on Radio 4 just a bit OTT? It's hardly as though there isn't a lot of news at the moment, yet practically half the Today program seemed to be about Bowie. God helps us when Paul McCartney passes away.
 Offwidth 11 Jan 2016

I'm a massive fan of Bowie's 70's albums and agree with you. Its a sad loss of a huge talent but (a bit like Lemmy and more so a few even more self abusive rock icons who still live) not a surprise . Being quiet about it is daft... its part of who he was and his own position on it was clear. Cigarettes (especially), some drugs and excess alcohol increase chances of early death from cancer. People who die at their creative peak do get remembered with more rose tinted glasses.
 Offwidth 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Your right, Lennon's death coverage was shabbily brief
In reply to Offwidth:

In climbing we tend to celebrate those who have lived life at the extreme and followed the "one day as a lion rather than 1000 days as a sheep" philosophy, so surely we shouldn't sneer at artists who have done likewise.

Obviously drugs of one sort or another have played their part in the deaths of Lemmy, Bowie, Lou Reed etc, but would they have been as creative if they hadn't over-indulged. Can you be that sort of person and not dabble, explore, experiment and push things to the limit?

(So speaks someone with no creativity whose only drug is alcohol!!)
 dread-i 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

>Obviously drugs of one sort or another have played their part in the deaths of Lemmy, Bowie, Lou Reed etc, but would they have been as creative if they hadn't over-indulged.

Cliff Richard is not known for drug and alcohol abuse. He produces some fantastic work...

Another loss for us all.
Just listened to Ziggy and Hunky Dory. It's been years since I last heard them and they still kick arse.
Must have been good to hear his song covered by Chris Hadfield on the ISS.
 neilh 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Sums it up for me.I was in my second year at high school at the time of spiders from mars.In my class( boys school) there was 1 David Bowie fan, haircut the same etc, everybody else was Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen. Only in recent years have I appreciated how creative he was.
In reply to dread-i:

> Cliff Richard is not known for drug and alcohol abuse. He produces some fantastic work...

Hmmm, not so sure about that although doesnt he get his inspiration from a higher power?

The Lemming 11 Jan 2016

Listen to Radio 2 right now. St Jeremy Vine on Bowie
 The Pylon King 11 Jan 2016
In reply to dread-i:

The world of art would be an incredibly dull place if it hadn't been for drugs.

I saved up my pocket money to buy my first album, Aladdin Sane, taped my mate's copy of Hunky Dory. I'll even forgive him for Tin Machine...(actually I quite like it)
Driving to work, I had to choose albums to listen to, Station to Station and then Hunky Dory. An absolutely sublime talent, and I'm really glad to have been a teenager in the early seventies. Part of my life.
 Trangia 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Urgles:

> The world of art would be an incredibly dull place if it hadn't been for drugs.

Not so sure about that, how would you explain the genius of may of the great classical composers and artists whose works pre-date the discovery of recreational drugs? Much of it was driven by a devote belief in God.
 The Pylon King 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Man has been taking drugs since the beginning of time.
Removed User 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Urgles:

the world of world would be duller without drugs.
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Much of it was driven by a devote belief in God.

I refer you to Karl Marx!
 Flinticus 11 Jan 2016

Only yesterday I was thinking that Bowie had been making music over 4 decades, from before my birth in 1970. I didn't get into any Bowie until my first year in uni, when a guy from Dublin, a former suburban punk who still wore bondage trousers and become my friend, gave me a taped copy of Low, reckoning I'd like it. I did, thinking it brilliant, and still do.
 timjones 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> What a heartless, nasty, horrible post.

> Mick

TBF I suspect it was a reaction to the bizarre description of someone's death as "strange timing".

2 wrongs don't make a right but the strange timing comment looks rather crass too.
 Dauphin 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Those B sides on Low and Heroes are IMHO some of the greatest pieces of music ever composed. Listened to Low in the car yesterday on the way back from a cold and miserable Lakes, Warzawa and Weeping Wall a majestic soundtrack to the bleakness.

D
 aln 11 Jan 2016

In one of those weird coincidences I bought Low and Station to Station last week. 1st Bowie records I've bought since a single and LP in 77. I've been loving them and playing them non stop and in fact had just put on Station to Station when I heard the news.
 Brass Nipples 11 Jan 2016

Major Tom, may you forever drift amongst the stars, part of my heart goes with you.
Removed User 11 Jan 2016

"Time, he flexes like a whore, falls wanking to the floor"

First swear words in a song I ever heard.

RIP, it would seem I am of an age where this is becoming a regular occurence
 Offwidth 11 Jan 2016

I'm grateful he did what he did, his important contributions in art almost certainly would have suffered without it. Could I recommend the risk, no. The same applies to some of the riskier ends of climbing. People should be free to choose but within a realistic context. Pretty much all humanity will have done some stupid stuff in life we wouldn't recommend to others.
 Nevis-the-cat 11 Jan 2016

Odd comment I grant you.

> The death from cancer of a 70 year old man who abused drink, drugs and tobacco for much of his life has come as a complete shock to, erm, no one.

That makes you sound like a weapons grade asshat. Reads like the mindless shit someone would write in the Mail:

"He was a typical climber, hanging on by his fingers tips going out in blizzards risking his life"

That sort of shit....

I like this quote from Simon Pegg on soshall meeeja "If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."

Martin Hore 11 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I think climbing at Trowbarrow will be more poiniant along with a climbing nod to the great man.

Yes, and before today I'd have put money on the man lasting longer than the climbs.....

I wasn't a huge Bowie fan, but I recognise his originality and his genius. And as one coming up to his age it's a salutary reminder of how frail we are and still so powerless against cancer.

Martin
 mark s 11 Jan 2016

he is sadly gone,but his music will never be forgotten.

lemmy and bowie in a month,thats 2 people who between them have had an influence on most musicians
 Mick Ward 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Major Tom, may you forever drift amongst the stars, part of my heart goes with you.

Wonderfully said.

Mick
 andyb211 11 Jan 2016

One of our own has gone bit perspective he was only a singer

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14194702.SAS_legend_dies/
 MonkeyPuzzle 11 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

^^^^ He sounds like an amazing man, but no, Bowie was not 'only' a singer any more than the fella in your link was only a soldier.

Bowie was, no actually is and will continue to be, a cultural colossus.
 Goucho 11 Jan 2016

You're one of those evenly balanced kind of guys aren't you - chips on both shoulders.
 dogfish 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

First tracks I played after hearing this sad news were Warzawa and Heroes. Spent my 14th birthday money in '77 on Low cost me about £2:50 in Smiths .
 Offwidth 11 Jan 2016
In reply to dogfish:

I hummed Warzara on the way to work, seemed apt somehow

There's a starman waiting in the sky.

He told me:
Let the children lose it.
Let the children use it.
Let all the children boogie.
 planetmarshall 11 Jan 2016
In reply to dread-i:

> Cliff Richard is not known for drug and alcohol abuse. He produces some fantastic work...

His backing band certainly did. Don't know what they were taking, though...
 coinneach 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Got to confess that he didn't really "do it " for me although I can understand why he did for so many.

Did see him though with Tin Machine at the Town & Country in Kentish Town.

They were a bit shit but that guy with the weird eye. The one singing to me from no more than six feet away.

Was David F*cking Bowie!!!
 Tom Valentine 11 Jan 2016
In reply to mark s:

Most musicians?
Not really.
In reply to coinneach:

> Got to confess that he didn't really "do it " for me although I can understand why he did for so many.

That's my opinion too. Can't argue with what he did and his influence but whatever it is that makes other people like his music is something I haven't got; it just passes me by. Not bad, but not good; just all a bit beige.

T.
 Tom Valentine 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

The thing about Frank's comment is that he hasn't resorted to stereotyping to make his point; if anything it smacks too much of common sense.
andymac 11 Jan 2016

'We Could Be Heroes' is one of my Turbo trainer songs.

Thank You for the music.

Just seen a clip of Bowie talking about how to pronounce Bowie - made me realise what an influence he had on me.

Neilh - did we go to school together... I remember finding a bow tie in the school colours in Kensington Market - when I turned up for registration on Monday (late as usual) wearing said tie, the response was interesting...
 Fat Bumbly2 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Low was the third album I ever bought - again c£3. While familiar with his earlier work which I later came to love, I had no idea what had hit me when I turned over the disc. Warsawa remains a favourite.

Normally, I am pretty jaded when a famous person leaves us, but this time I understand.
abseil 11 Jan 2016

> Obviously drugs of one sort or another have played their part in the deaths of ..... Bowie.....

What matters today is RIP David Bowie, you were great, you'll be missed, condolences to family and friends.

But also - sorry Chris, but how do you know that drugs played a part in his death?

Loved his music. His Serious Moonlight tour was one of the best live shows I ever saw.
 coinneach 11 Jan 2016
In reply to John Stainforth:

Just caught a bit on the telly where the presenter said " This is a live clip of Jean Genie from Top Of The Pops and you can tell it's live because Mick Ronson's guitar sounds like a van full of police dogs"

Quality!
 John2 11 Jan 2016

I felt really affected when I heard the news this morning. The last time I felt that way about the death of a musician was when John Lennon was assassinated.

Why was that? Who can say. I first listened to Bowie over 40 years ago, and ever since he has continued to innovate. I bought his new release last week, little suspecting that its release was timed to coincide with today's dreadful news, and was cheered to hear that he was still pursuing new directions.

I quite often listen to Radio 4's excellent obituary program Last Word, and one thing that struck me forcibly when Luciano Pavarotti died was that those speaking about him were genuinely grief stricken because he would no longer be around to bring them enjoyment. I suspect that we will hear no new music from David Bowie.
 Yanis Nayu 11 Jan 2016
In reply to John2:

It's hard to know why certain people's death affects us and others don't. I was upset when George Best died in a way that seems similar to you with DB, but am quite unaffected by the latter's passing. I thought with GB it was because he'd been around all my life, but the same is true of Bowie.
 aln 11 Jan 2016

Marc Riley is doing a great tribute show on 6music right now.
In reply to abseil:

> But also - sorry Chris, but how do you know that drugs played a part in his death?

Martin (aka Frank) raised the connection between smoking, drug use and cancer, but it's unlikely not to have played a part
abseil 11 Jan 2016

> Martin (aka Frank) raised the connection between smoking, drug use and cancer, but it's unlikely not to have played a part

OK, and thank you for your reply, Chris.
 john_mx 11 Jan 2016

Rip.
 elsewhere 11 Jan 2016
Terminally ill but creating and releasing an album. He certainly didn't give up. An impressive final farewell.
 John2 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I did say, 'The last time I felt that way about the death of a musician', so I'm not sure it's entirely relevant to bring up George Best.

What I would say about Bowie is that although I have been a fan of the Stones for an even longer period of time, they gave up innovating long ago. What was Keith Richards's last great guitar riff? Start Me Up ~(1981
)? Bowie produced new music until the last.
 Yanis Nayu 11 Jan 2016
In reply to John2:

I was commenting on the nature of one's feelings toward the death of famous people, not limited to musicians. The link is that they're people not known to us personally; rather by dint of their fame and how they entertained us.

I suspect that if more people were like Bowie (or felt they were allowed to express themselves like him) there would be a lot fewer people to 'pick up' on a Saturday night.

In my opinion - a life well lived.
 wercat 12 Jan 2016
In reply to neilh:
He got into the fabric of the cosmos ...
I remember back in the 80s the engineering password for our old Artemis systems included a seed string "The Spiders From Mars" .... long conversations on the phone from Kishorn to Edinburgh for support

Nice to think of his work travelling outwards from Earth, overtaking the Voyager probes - perhaps SETI have been sending out the wrong stuff
Post edited at 09:18
 Shani 12 Jan 2016

He turned down a Knighthood in 2003. You can't buy that kind of cool.
OP robert-hutton 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Shani:

Rejecting a CBE and a knighthood, good on him
 Dell 13 Jan 2016
I too felt affected by the news, and enjoy much of his work. Certainly one of the best songwriters this country has ever produced.
But having had a heated debate elsewhere online, I feel the question should be asked
'What about the paedo stuff?'

http://elegantgatheringofwhitesnows.com/?p=349

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...