UKC

INTERVIEW: Luzan Matyas on his Replica of Action Directe 9a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 11 Jan 2016
Luzan Matyas , 4 kbWe recently featured a video of Luzan Matyas completing an indoor replica of the Frankenjura 9a Action Directe at his local wall in Romania. The replica attracted questions regarding Luzan's motivation and the finer details of his creation, so we got in touch with the man himself to find out more...

Read more
 Timmd 11 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:
I like his ethics about not causing polish and wear on a route.
Post edited at 10:36
 Brendan 11 Jan 2016

It's lucky his dream route isn't Chilam Balam...
 petellis 11 Jan 2016

I couldn't quite work it out... in the video he appeared to have sent the replica route clean. If so the real thing is kind of a formality that must be done.

I wonder how he is planning on staying in form until the spring to be able to tick the real thing?
slinky wizard 11 Jan 2016

Potential niche market for Action Direct hold kits?
 stp 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Brendan:

> It's lucky his dream route isn't Chilam Balam...

LOL.

But in seriousness I suppose even on really long routes one could build a replica of the crux sequence and get that completely dialled before attempting the route.
 stp 12 Jan 2016
In reply to petellis:

I wouldn't trivialize the real thing as a mere formality. Its the end goal: a route far harder than he's ever climbed before. One big difference is that it has to be done with a rope. There will also be a time window like he might only be there a week or two. It will be conditions dependent etc. and if its still close to his limit as I'm sure it will be then a big mental challenge too.

In terms of staying on form it would have been interesting to know what other training the guy does and how that fits in with his sessions on the model. But like anyone else I'm sure he'll keep trying to get stronger in the meantime.
 jon 12 Jan 2016
In reply to stp:

> There will also be a time window like he might only be there a week or two.

I think that's something most people understimate. It's one thing to climb something at or beyond your limit that's on your local crag. Quite another to do that on a crag far away or in another country. The time investment is a huge factor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...