UKC

RIP John Henry "Brummie" Stokes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyb211 11 Jan 2016
The former SAS soldier, world-famous mountaineer and life-long adventurer John 'Brummie' Stokes has died. Brummie, who lived in Hereford, climbed to the summit of Everest in 1976 with his SAS colleague Michael 'Bronco' Lane - losing all of his toes and part of each foot to frostbite. In 1984 he made an attempt to scale the north face of Everest but an avalanche wiped out the base camp, killing one of his colleagues and leaving Brummie with a broken neck. He went on to found The Taste for Adventure centre in Credenhill which provides activities for less privileged groups and was awarded the MBE and British Empire Medal for his achievements. "Better to light a few candles than complain about the dark"

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14194702.SAS_legend_dies/

Rest easy Troop x
 Tony the Blade 11 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

I've just seen this on the AMA site, very sad news indeed.
 Denni 11 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

RIP Legend. Met him a few times, cracking bloke.
Gone for good 11 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

I first read of his exploits on Everest many years ago. It was one of the stories that inspired me to get into the mountains. RIP Brummie.
 abr1966 11 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

Never met him but known and respected in the bootneck world.....heard tales of his climbing and he was spoken of highly in Norway...RIP
 Fat Bumbly2 11 Jan 2016
In reply to abr1966:
I remember him saying at a lecture "I know what colour adrenaline is"

A sad loss.
 Mick Ward 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> I remember him saying at a lecture "I know what colour adrenaline is"

Brilliant!

> A sad loss.

Agreed. RIP.

Mick

SamStokes 14 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

Thank you all for your kind comments, they brought a smile to my face!
In reply to SamStokes:

Never met him, but spoke to several who did and I was inspired by him. Condolences to the family.

RIP - a life well lived.
 Trangia 14 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

IIRC I think he was a mate of Al Evans of this parish. Weren't they on Everest together? If so Al, and you see this, maybe you'd like to give us some reminiscing?
Removed User 14 Jan 2016
In reply to andyb211:

I met him c.25 years ago. Top bloke. I was young and initially intimidated by this SAS/Everest hardman, but his unassuming manner immediately put me at ease.
I remember him being on a TV discussion when Kosovo was kicking off and a woman in the audience was literally in tears of anxiety because her son was in the army and she thought that WW3 might kick off. Brummie was incredibly kind to her and didn't move the conversation on until he had explained the situation enough to calm her fears.

A legend and a gentleman. RIP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...