UKC

Running children and Rings at Karma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobertHepburn 11 Jan 2016
Hi All,

I went to the new Karma bouldering wall in Tunbridge Wells yesterday, and was really impressed by the wall - lots of interesting problems, proper top outs, and a great looking comp wall. It was also stacked with kids and new comers, which was great to see. However, there were a couple of safety issues:

1. Kids running round at high speed, often straight under climbers. I must have asked 10 kids not to run/be careful in one session. I am 95kg, and I would hate to think what would happen if I landed on a 5 year old from the top of the wall.

2. People wearing rings. I think I said to 5 people about them getting trapped in holds, and all looked a bit surprised.

I know some will think I am being a "busy-body", but I just don't want people to get hurt, and feel that it is partly my responsibility, especially as I have been climbing for about 15 years.

I did pass my concerns on to a member of staff, and I could see they there were really busy, and I guess all walls suffer from similar problems. The wall did have a full induction process, but I don't think it has influenced behaviour enough? I am interested in the best ideas for minimising these two problems?

Maybe video a 100kg weight falling onto a wooden palette from the top of a wall, and then show it to people as part of the induction?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Robert

Wsdconst 11 Jan 2016
In reply to RobertHepburn:

I think you're right to mention potentially harmful things to people, as long as you don't do it in a school prefect way. No one wants they're session cut short because they've just squashed a kid or someone's finger has been pulled off. Everyone should appreciate a bit of friendly advice when starting out. P.s 100kg dropped on a water melon might be effective.
 Babika 11 Jan 2016

The ring thing is quite important.

I dislocated my ring finger at the Uxbridge Wall many moons ago crimping away. The finger ballooned to about twice its size before the A&E doctor wrenched it back in position. If I'd had my wedding ring on they would have had to cut it off and I suspect the pain would have been even worse.

Newcomers never imagine this is going to happen....
 Neil 11 Jan 2016

Little picture of a de-gloved finger ought to do the trick Climbed with someone in the states whose friend had left half of his finger in a pocket after falling, ouch!
 jsmcfarland 12 Jan 2016

I love Karma and have been climbing there a lot since it has opened. Great setting and not too expensive either. Agree with you about the kids though, weekend mornings/lunchtimes are absolutely dire. Hopefully they will be more assertive when dealing with parents not properly supervising their kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...