UKC

Fixes for wide fit boots on a narrow heeled wearer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 11 Jan 2016
Having UK Size 13 feet has caused me a lot of problems when trying to buy winter climbing boots. Last year when I was hunting down a pair none of the shops stocked B3's in that size nor even had them in a warehouse somewhere. As a result I had to try on a pair of size 12's and hope for the best that the fit wouldn't change drastically in the increase in size. In the end I bought a pair of Phantom Guides which I was told by a scarpa rep would be suitable for people with narrow heels/ankles (which I have).

Sadly upon their arrival the fit wasn't as I was expecting and they are annoyingly baggy around my heels after I've laced the boots up as tight as the physically will go, as I'm sure you'll understand simply buying a different pair of boots at the price good B3's go for isn't an option. So I was wondering if anyone here has any solutions for this problem, I don't wear insoles or heelgrips, perhaps they'd work?

The fit hasn't completely inhibited my climbing, I still get out a lot and they're fairly comfortable but after climbing a route in them all of the pressure I've applied to the boot generally means they've loosened a little and my foot noticeably shuffles a bit.

Thanks for any advice.
 abcdef 11 Jan 2016
In reply to CaelanB:

do you mean heel lift is the result of being narrow heeled, or is it something more specific?

what about something like..... http://www.stopheellift.com/products/shl-version2
OP CaelanB 11 Jan 2016
In reply to abcdef:

the phantom guides don't have a removable liner so they won't work. The heel lift I'm pretty sure is a result of me being narrow heeled.
 abcdef 12 Jan 2016
In reply to CaelanB:

There is a B3 version of that product - I presumed it would fit inside a boot. Is the video not just the ski version?
 Damo 12 Jan 2016
In reply to CaelanB:

If you can still climb in them at all then they're clearly not too bad. By all means you should use an insole - a thermomoldable one to seat your foot correctly with an arch bump sufficiently prominent to hold your foot right back (unless you're very flat-footed).

Heel lifts rarely work well, I've found and push your whole foot up, often causing circulation problems. Achilles pads and things can help but are a real faff and often come out or move around.

Google 'box lacing' for diagrams to lace the section at the foot-shin junction in such a way it really holds your foot back.

Can't you just sell the boots, take a hit on the money and buy some Sportivas? Baruntses go to 48, as do Nepals - which are definitely narrower than Scarpas, and always have been.
 abcdef 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Damo:

"Having UK Size 13 feet" - don't think a Sportiva 48 is going to fit a large foot for length. I am a 12 and have got 49s. No 48, even Scarpa and the likes, has ever fitted me in these type of boots.
 dek 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Damo:

> Can't you just sell the boots, take a hit on the money and buy some Sportivas? Baruntses go to 48, as do Nepals - which are definitely narrower than Scarpas, and always have been.

You can get, up to a 50 in Nepals and Baruntse.
http://www.lasportiva.com/en/mountaineering/mountaineering-footwear-sport-a...
 Damo 12 Jan 2016
In reply to abcdef:

> "Having UK Size 13 feet" - don't think a Sportiva 48 is going to fit a large foot for length. I am a 12 and have got 49s. No 48, even Scarpa and the likes, has ever fitted me in these type of boots.

I see in another thread you note the same anomaly in your experience. I agree Scarpas can be short for their size. Although there are infinite variations in peoples' feet, and significant variations between brands, the conversion charts generally hold true most of the time for most people.

UK12 = US13 = EU47
UK13 - US14 = EU48.5

The OP may need a 49, but you shouldn't. If you really are a UK12 then almost all EU49 would be too big. Have you had your feet properly measured?

The only brand I have personally seen *so far* out of whack were Millet Everest boots (in which I needed a 49.5 for a 47 foot).
 BAdhoc 13 Jan 2016
In reply to CaelanB:

Have you tried super feet? Might be worth popping down to a store and testing a pair, they have a Chunky heel design which may lift your foot up enough to make the lacing hold your foot/ankle better.
 abcdef 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Damo:

I am probably a large 12 with no-doubt strangely shaped hooves but I don't think that "UK12 = US13 = EU47" is strictly true. Nike trainers are my benchmark UK12 and are 47.5. And I have never bought my shoe size in a mountain boot of any type, as you need a bit of space at the front and wear thicker socks normally. How much extra space do you suggest leaving at the front of a B3 for front-pointing and descending?
OP CaelanB 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Damo:

Whilst "taking the hit" may be possible If I could actually sell them, but it seems unlikely at such a large size... and if I was I'd like to wait till the end of this season to do so.
 abcdef 13 Jan 2016
In reply to CaelanB:

not wanting to labour the point, but i am slightly confused. you are a UK13 foot size, and you have Phantom Guides which only seem to go up to a 48. And you are most worried about narrow heels? How the hell do they fit for length when your plates of meat are 13???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...