UKC

Berghaus Tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
owb82 12 Jan 2016
Hi

Im looking for a new tent at about the £100-200 mark. Mainly for 2 man camping. Happy to have a little extra wieght for that extra comfort at night. Nothing more then 3Kg.

Narrowed it down to the Berghaus 3.3 Pro from Blacks. At a wieght of 2.91 it has a large porch and plenty of rooom for two people plus possible dogs and comes in at £189.

I cant find many reviews on the berghaus tents. Nothing really since 2010. Anyone had any experience or could recommend something similar?

Thanks guys

Alan
 leon 1 12 Jan 2016
In reply to owb82: Wild Country Hoolie 3 ? Cheap as fried potatoes at Cotswold at present
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/wild-country-tents-hoolie-3-tent-d1412225?id...

owb82 12 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks Leon. The Berghaus 3.3 Pro is slightly lighter and has a much bigger porch.

The Berghaus 3.2 Pro is the same size as Hoolie 3 but is only 2Kg and only £99.

So Im wandering just how good these Berhaus tents are going to be :s

Alan
 leon 1 12 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1: Meant to add that Berghaus tents arent really that much to do with Berghaus They are tents made under licence by Blacks in 2010 for Blacks + Millets only
owb82 12 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1:

Yeah I read that on an old tread. Does that mean they are rubbish?
 ianstevens 12 Jan 2016
In reply to owb82:

Probably.

Wild Country tents are made by Terra Nova. I know which I'd choose.
In reply to owb82:
Their own brand Octane 3 isn't bad (I have one, amongst many...).
It says three man, but that's optimistic. Good for two, and a generous porch.
Silnylon flysheet.
Decent pegs.
Pitching is easy, with colour-coded poles & sleeves; outer-first, with clip-in inner.
Mine weighs exactly 3kg, packed.
Currently £169.

The downsides:
Porch has a door in only one side.
No rear door, so can't get through air flow in summer.
Not entirely sure about the pre-bent poles; my engineering spidey-sense suggests that's a potential weak point, though I've not had trouble.
Colour...?

I reckon it's the same design as the 'Berghaus', only using silnylon rather than polyester

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/164995-berghaus-peak-3-3-3-man-tent-red.h...

Ah, identical to the 3.3 Pro, then (except cheaper, and yellow):

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/000086-berghaus-peak-3-3-pro-3-man-tent-g...
Post edited at 18:30
 Timmd 12 Jan 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
Why might a pole bending through use be less likely to break than a pre-bent pole?
Post edited at 21:12
In reply to Timmd:

They're not pre-curved poles, they have a distinct bend in them, forming an apex (think Perpendicular, rather than Norman arches). This is likely to act as a stress raiser, rather than distributing the stress more evenly around the curve formed by creating a hoop with a straight, or pre-curved pole.

Then there's the issue or the work hardening that is done by forming the bend, plus the stretching and thinning required to form the bend. My guess is that, after bending, they won't do any solution heat treatment to alleviate the work hardening and restore the heat treatment to its stated T6 state...

If you apply a kink to an element, and then bend it, the element almost always fails at the kink. This bend is a kink, not a smooth curve.
 Timmd 13 Jan 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
Ah, that explains your thinking, if it's a kink rather than a curve.

I guess if it depends on whether the metal is thick enough to cope in the first place (or not)?
Post edited at 17:54
owb82 14 Jan 2016
In reply to owb82:

Thanks for the replies guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...