UKC

Car coolant problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigbobbyking 12 Jan 2016

Ok, car problem... My girlfriend was driving home along the motorway when she noticed the heating stopped working. Unfortunately she didn't stop to investigate and instead continued for 1hr along the motorway to get home... Upon investigation the coolant reservoir is empty and there is still steaming fluid on various parts of the engine.

Now how likely is it that the whole thing is wrecked? I'm assuming it can't have been going for 1hr along the motorway with no coolant at all? Obviously it's going to the garage but not sure whether to top up coolant and try driving it, or whether I need to get it towed.

p.s. car is vauxhall astra H diesel 1.7 in case that makes any difference
Post edited at 20:58
 girlymonkey 12 Jan 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

I have had several old cars which leaked coolant badly. It is probably fine. I would top it up and take it for a drive (once it has cooled down!), and if everything seems fine then I wouldn't bother with the garage. Obviously, you will need to find where the coolant is leaking to avoid future overheating issues.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2016

were there or are there any coolant low level warning lights showing?

If not, then things may not be that bad.
 girlymonkey 12 Jan 2016

Interestingly, my worst coolant leaking car was an Astra diesel estate! I used to sit in traffic jams with blowers on full to cool the engine and windows open to cool myself! Lol
 summo 12 Jan 2016

Heater failing is usually first sign of low level of coolant. Top it up and run it, then watch & wait, could just be a loose hose.
 pec 12 Jan 2016

Before the engine got knackered warning lights would have lit up on the dashboard to say it was overheating, usually with a big red sign saying STOP or suchlike. It will probably be low on coolant rather than empty so top it up but look for where the leak is as it will need fixing.

You may find with a low coolant level the engine is actually more likely to overheat around town than on a motorway as at higher speed the extra airflow has a considerable cooling effect so its possible warning lights will come on in future.
 FactorXXX 13 Jan 2016
As the coolant loss was sudden and if you choose to go for the 'Top the Coolant Up and See What Happens' option, then make sure you do it properly as there might well be air in the system. The manual should tell you how, but it's normally leave the filler cap off and with the engine running, let the cooling fan kick in three times and top up coolant accordingly.
When you're doing the above, check all hoses, etc. for leaks. No point in continuing to top up if you've got a split hose...
Post edited at 00:12
 arch 13 Jan 2016

I drove an old VW Beetle around for years and never put any coolant in it...............

To the OP. I'd say you'd be ok.
OP bigbobbyking 13 Jan 2016

Thanks for the suggestions. This morning have found obvious split hose which leaks like a fountain when the engine runs. Hopefully if I tape this up and top up coolant it will be ok to get to the garage...
 deepsoup 13 Jan 2016
> Hopefully if I tape this up and top up coolant it will be ok to get to the garage...

If you use the right kind of tape it'd probably last for years.
Post edited at 09:44
 illepo 13 Jan 2016

definitely buy a new hose. they're relatively cheap.
 LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2016

Buy a new hose and fit it yourself

You don't say how old the car is, but if it's a few years old and you have the coolant drained anyway, it might be worth checking and replacing the thermostat, usually around £20 iirc - I don't know how easy they are to get at on a Vauxhall, though.
 Toby_W 13 Jan 2016

Hopefully just a pipe popped off or similar rather than a cracked head gasket pressurising the coolant and venting it out of the release.

Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers

Toby
 mp3ferret 13 Jan 2016

My wife had a similar problem in an old ford puma. However, it happened during the summer - and because she did't need the heater on she never mentioned it. She didn't tell me until it started getting colder at which point the engine was already toast and burning more oil than petrol - and she didn't mention the warning lights because - she didn't understand what they meant.

One Ford Puma well and truly written off - and it was one of the fast 1.9 Yamaha engines.

She shouldn't be allowed near mechanical things - bloody artists!
 NottsRich 13 Jan 2016

If it was 1hr on the motorway, rather than sitting in traffic, the chance of wrecking the cylinder head are reduced. I'd just fill it up with coolant after fitting the new hose and see how it goes - the damage (if any) will already be done. You can do a simple check yourself to help determine if the head is cracked. With the engine cold, remove the coolant resr cap and start the car. Look inside with a torch for bubbles. If there are any, or a white scum, the head is probably damaged.* If not, I'd personally just get on and drive it.

*If these symptoms are not there, it doesn't mean there's no damage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...