UKC

Naphthalenes effect in ropes and climbing gear. Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab 13 Jan 2016
Ok here it goes. Have been away from my flatshare for a couple of months. During this time my flatmates spread anti moth balls all around the flat, including near my climbing gear. The moth balls have Naphthalene in them.

Not much later, my old army boots, the sole completely came off the rest of the boot, the boot is really old though. Also my new phantom guides, glued parts came off. Im assuming this is all from the Naphtalene, or just a coincidence? I dont know much about the effects of common solvents, chemicals, oils etc

In the same small room, I have my rack, harness and ropes. All my gear is from 2011 very lightly used ( I know sadly). The ropes were mainly in a plastic bag. Is it a case of replacing all fabric? Ie harness, ropes, quickdraw tapes, cam tapes and slings? Or am I being paranoid? I have inspected the Harness, and cant see any of the attachments coming off, but then I havent used any of the gear since this incident. Nothing else looks visibly damaged on equipment.

Would appreciate some advice. The gear should probably be changed in a year or two away anyhow as its getting old even if it hasnt been used much last couple of years.

Greasy Prusiks 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

My gut says change the lot. Especially if the moths themselves could have gotten on anything fabric.

deepsoup 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:
> Or am I being paranoid?

Probably.

If you have a google "nylon compatibility naphthalene" or similar, you'll find various different charts like this: http://www.kelco.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nylon-chemical-compatibi...
They all seem to agree that nylon is not bothered by naphthalene. Actually nylon is bothered by remarkably little really, it's pretty much just acids and bleaches that really do harm.

YMMV, but given that it looks and feels ok if it were my gear I wouldn't be worried about it at all.
 deepsoup 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
> My gut says change the lot. Especially if the moths themselves could have gotten on anything fabric.

Yes, he should definitely replace any slings, ropes etc that are made of wool.
 IPPurewater 13 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

+1. It should be fine !!
 NottsRich 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

Might be worth emailing someone like the BD quality labs. They may come back with an immediate answer of "replace the lot" just to be safe, but they do investigations etc as well and may know the answer. Worth a try.
 Rick Graham 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

With regards to the boot glue, the naphthalene might have affected it but hard to believe it managed to affect all the glue so the part/ sole came off totally.

More likely it is a faulty glue anyway. I have had ( and seen on other folks footwear ) soles coming off on older boots.

It almost seems like the glue has an internal clock and self destructs after so long. I don't keep any climbing footwear ( in stock ) any more, especially mountain wear. I would not feel safe on a big hill knowing boots could ( and have ) fallen apart at any time.

Send the boots back as faulty, because they probably are.
In reply to deepsoup:

Your right, should have given my brain a chance there! I must admit it's been a while since I've knitted any climbing gear. Ignore me I'm talking bull but in my defence I am laid up with flu.
 deepsoup 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Yeurgh! No fun at all.
Hope you're feeling better soon.
In reply to deepsoup:

Cheers
In reply to Scarab:

This sounds truly serious and the only logical course of action is to parcel up ALL the mothballed equipment and send it postage paid to myself. It will then be subjected to rigorous testing over the next decade. If all goes well it will be available for collection and use winter 2026.

jsmcfarland 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

You could always try a drop test of some sort with some of the gear if you really want some piece of mind =P
OP Scarab 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Ta did send the boots back. Must have been a coincidence!
OP Scarab 14 Jan 2016
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Genius! How did I not think of that... will do just in case the paranoid me comes out when Im scared shiteless leading a route.
OP Scarab 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

Thanks a bunch all, I honestly thought you were all going to say throw it away and blasting me for even thinking of keeping the gear. So relieved now was going to change all the gear wouldve been quite a financial hit to do it all in one go!

Thanks again!
Removed User 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab:

I had similar worries when I got back after working abroad and found my flatmates had 'smoke bombed' the entire flat. They were even so kind as to open all of my cupboards to make sure the smoke got everywhere.
I'm still a little suspicious of all my kit, however nothing has snapped yet and I've taken some decent falls. Should be alright...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...