UKC

Glencoe / Fort William Accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greylag 13 Jan 2016
Hi all,

Heading up there end of Feb for a few days climbing.

Whilst I wouldn't expect anyone to give away their best kept secrets can anyone recommend value for money (not necessarily cheap) in said areas.

Requirements (for two blokes) - self catering
places that don't mind wet rucksacks
have a drying room
don't mind people getting up at 5am
a good bar/pub in walking distance

Don't want to share a dorm as last years stay in Aviemore YHA was shared with the worlds loudest snorer (the last night was spent on a sofa to avoid the snorer) and a little more peace and comfort is deserved for this years trip!

Not a lot to ask?

Thanks in advance
 Mountain Llama 13 Jan 2016
In reply to greylag:

http://www.bankstreetlodge.co.uk

stayed here several times, they have different size dorms plus en suite stuff.

2 minutes walk to pubs etc in fort william

Davey
 Tony the Blade 13 Jan 2016
In reply to greylag:

In Fort William you can do a lot worse than Calluna, it ticks all of your boxes and is run by Alan Kimber, a guy that wrote the guide! www.fortwilliamholiday.co.uk

I've stayed there numerous times and have never had a problem yet. The bonus is that most people that stay there are all climbers as well.

For Aviemore, unless you have a forces connection then I'd stay at the Aviemore Bunkhouse www.aviemore-bunkhouse.com
 planetmarshall 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> For Aviemore, unless you have a forces connection then I'd stay at the Aviemore Bunkhouse www.aviemore-bunkhouse.com

The YHA in Glenmore is excellent, with a drying room capable of melting your crampons and the excellent Pine Marten bar across the road. Can't recommend it highly enough.

OP Greylag 13 Jan 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

The YHA in Glenmore is excellent and the bar across the road is even more! Great live music, atmosphere and a good selection beer.

This is of course not the YHA's fault but this is actually the hostel where we experienced the snorer! Wow! It was truly impressive and relentless snoring.
 Webster 13 Jan 2016
In reply to greylag:

assuming that date doesnt coincide with half tearm hollidays, you may get a good value room in the travel lodge in fort william high street. no catering facilities (other than the obligatory kettle) but directly above a good wetherspoons pub!
snoopdawg 13 Jan 2016
In reply to greylag:

I'm a fan of the Aviemore bunkhouse and use it frequently but after a stag party weekend in May last year I will never again use it on a weekend. People were partying in the kitchen area until 4 in the morning.
OP Greylag 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Think for all it offers (though with some dodgy reviews on trip advisor) its the best option in FW and for a reasonable price!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...