UKC

taking out newbies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 13 Jan 2016
I have two friends who are wanting to come out with me and my parnter on an easy winter route, e.g. halls fell ridge to see is they like this sort of thing.
As they're have never done it they haven't got winter boots, crampons or axes.

I only have spare axes to borrow them.
My question is how have others got people out with them without them buying all the kit first?

Is there places you can hire kit from?

Cheers
 Martin Bennett 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mc2006:

Try The Walker's Shop on the main road through Ambleside, but remember you can't at the moment drive directly from there to Blencathra! http://www.amblesideadventure.co.uk/shopping/walkers-shop/

Babika 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mc2006:

Join a club?
People can be quite accommodating with lending winter stuff especially as regulars usually have racks of old stuff cluttering up the garage! But do expect to put something into the Club - not just turn up and ask to borrow immediately.

Also ebay/UKC Wanted can be a good source of cheap secondhand stuff?
 Leeds Andy 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mc2006:

If you are in Leeds I can lend you 2 pairs of (old) walking crampons and if they don't have boots some boots that will fit on them

Andy
 SenzuBean 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mc2006:
They could go on one of those 2 day "intro to winter skills" subsidized by the BMC at Plas Y Brenin (perhaps other places do it too). You get kit hire, instructor supervision and good knowledge for next to nothing.

Then if they liked it, they might get their own kit.
Post edited at 19:53
 planetmarshall 13 Jan 2016
In reply to mc2006:

> My question is how have others got people out with them without them buying all the kit first?

Hang around at the base of Aladdin's Buttress in Coire an t'Sneachda. Some free kit will turn up eventually.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...