UKC

Assynt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 14 Jan 2016
Anyone know what the snow and frozen turf levels are in Assynt?
OP Robert Durran 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Anyone?
 rogerwebb 15 Jan 2016

I haven't been there recently but based on previous experience,, current Inverness conditions and snow cover around Dundonnel last Sunday I would think it worth a go. I would expect Cul Mor to be ok less sure about the rest. (I would be surprised if Barrel buttress was in condition)

This may be the rose tinted and jealous view of someone who can't go climbing this weekend (or anytime soon)
 John Lyall 15 Jan 2016
If well covered in snow then I would think the turf will still be unfrozen on most of the sandstone crags. If free of snow it will be frozen, but then not in winter nick. Bucket Buttress on Quinag is the only one I think will be in good condition.
Post edited at 15:28
 DannyC 17 Jan 2016
Hi Robert,
Not quite Assynt but i was climbing in Glas Tholl on An Teallach yesterday and walking nearby today. We did Major Rib which was good. Excellent turf, even when occasionally dug from under powder. Very icy about but no ice routes were in just yet. Likewise for Toll an Lochain which we got a good view of on the walk out. They'll need a refreeze to come in. Hope that helps, D.
Post edited at 19:34
OP Robert Durran 17 Jan 2016
In reply to DannyC:

Thanks for replies. Ended up just walking there in fabulous weather - badly needed a NW fix away from it all! Snow almost to sea level, but no consolidation to speak of. I expect the climbing would not have been great.
 abr1966 17 Jan 2016

Having been to a lot of places across the world....there is no finer place than Assynt...
OP Robert Durran 17 Jan 2016
In reply to abr1966:
> Having been to a lot of places across the world....there is no finer place than Assynt...

Indeed

Might put a couple of photos on here later to prove it...........
Post edited at 21:59
 Jamie Hageman 17 Jan 2016

Yes Robert, you must! I love it up there too.
 French Erick 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Quinag's bucket buttress and foinaven were in.
seaofdreams 18 Jan 2016

Hi Robert,

I was also climbing on An Teallach on friday when the snow was in awful condition but the ground was frozen above 600. Sunday in Assynt was hard freeze and the climbing would been stunning, I'm sorry to say I didn't climb due a problem at home.

photos here: https://www.facebook.com/robert.reglinski

good luck
Rob
 DaveHK 18 Jan 2016
In reply to seaofdreams:

You'll need to change your permissions if you want us to see them. Ta.
Post edited at 17:54
seaofdreams 18 Jan 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Sorry - that should be done for only those images - kindly let me know if you can see more so i can put a stop to it.
 DaveHK 18 Jan 2016
In reply to seaofdreams:

All good now, cheers.
 DaveHK 18 Jan 2016
In reply to seaofdreams:
For what it's worth the top part of Foinaven was much the same as you described An Teallach - graupel and rime over dry rock.
Post edited at 18:11
 rogerwebb 18 Jan 2016
In reply to seaofdreams:

I was trying to look at your pictures, but cannot (probably better for my mood though)

It sounds pretty good
seaofdreams 18 Jan 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

it was a stunning couple of days but i think there was a goldilocks zone between the frozen turf contour and the awkward snow / rime contour. We failed to select the correct objective but had an epic few days none the less. Although saturday's weather on Ben Alligin was defiantly not as advertised and I was glad of the goggles.
 rogerwebb 18 Jan 2016
In reply to seaofdreams:

Sounds great!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...