UKC

Kalymnos coaching

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Bell 15 Jan 2016
Toying with the idea of getting some coaching in Kalymnos later this year (October ish). There is no shortage of possible options but I'd be interested in hearing any particular recommendations from anyone who has done it already. As background, have been climbing 8 years or so and by October I should be back redpointing in the 7a-7b range again.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Ian
 Chris the Tall 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Ian Bell:

I went on 3 planet fear holidays run by Adrian Berry a few years back and they were great. For someone who had be climbing for years I wasn't expecting to learn much, but was amazed at how much I didn't know. Very good for technique and even psychology. The second of these 3 trips was to Kalymnos and as well as Adrian, the other coach was Neil Gresham. A morning spent with him at Grand Grotte was a real eye-opener.
 Macca_7 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Ian Bell:

Hello

I have had the pleasure of a couple of trips also with Adrian's Positive Climbing company to Kalymnos. Both have been excellent with Adrian and Gareth Parry as coaches on the first and Gaz and Lucy Creamer on the second. Both were excellent and throughly recommended.

I was a little apprehensive the first time as I thought there may be a bit of sucking eggs but they really let you get on with it and offer useful insight at the appropriate times at the appropriate level for each person. They really treat you as a climber and allow you to do what is comfortable for you whilst still pushing you to achieve!

I would be aware of some companies that are more geared towards the beginners end of the market. They will enforce the wearing of helmets etc, so if this is something you are not comfortable with then bear it and mind and check before you book. I know Rock and Sun are insistant on all clients wearing a helmet at all times. Really put me off but each to there own.

Kalymnos is amazing whatever you end up doing so enjoy!

Cheers

Macca
 Dandan 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Ian Bell:

I went on a Rocup holiday in September last year, I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it was fantastic!
They have small groups and lots of experienced coaches, for example I was one of just 2 people being coached by Ben West so you get loads of 1 to 1 coaching.
The holidays are designed for experienced climbers already operating above 7a so perfect for you.
It was a fantastic holiday, great climbing and coaching but also a really great social experience, group meals every night, volleyball on the beach, they work really hard to make it fun as well.
It's not the cheapest holiday around but a lot of stuff is included so you only really need to buy flights and dinner, but it was worth every penny!
OP Ian Bell 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Thanks for the advice all. A few friends have been on the positive climbing ones and it's had universally good reviews. Unfortunately they're just the wrong week this year but maybe it'll just have to wait till 2017.

Dandan thanks for the tip, the guy from Rocup actually saw this post and emailed me as well, checked it out and that looks great too. They haven't yet posted the dates on their site but fingers crossed that might be an option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...