UKC

Hampi, Malaria risk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayLewin 15 Jan 2016
Afternoon UKC!

I'm heading to Hampi in a few weeks. After seeing the travel clinic they've said I don't need anti malaria tablets. As it is a low risk area. But I seem to be coming across mixed messages on the internet. Has anyone been recently? What did you do? Get them or not risk it?

Also any hints or tips for I'm there would be great!

Cheers

Jamie
 krikoman 15 Jan 2016
In reply to JamieLewin:

I didn't get bitten once in Hampi but I was there in December, so I can't say you won't.

I'm a bit of bite bait for mozzies usually, so if they're around they usually find me.

I got bad indigestion the first time I went to India, when using the anti-malarial tablets, so that was another reason for me not continuing with them.

Rigid Raider 15 Jan 2016
In reply to JamieLewin:

No doubt somebody will come down on me like a ton of bricks for writing this, they always do but.... just don't get bitten. I've been travelling around Africa on business for 30 years and have only taken tablets once, I took Lariam and got some odd side effects so I stopped. I would rather rub DEET on my skin and not get the irritating bites, even though DEET isn't very nice and comes out in your urine for 48 hours afterwards. Cover arms and legs and put DEET on exposed skin and on your ankles as mozzies will cruise around at floor level and bite through your socks. My British colleague lives in Lagos with his wife and kids and none of them takes anything and so far after 11 years they've been OK.....

Obviously if you're indoors in air-conditioned buildings your chances of being bitten are infinitesimably smaller than if you are camping outdoors in a swampy area.
 GavClayton 15 Jan 2016
In reply to JamieLewin:

When I was younger and more irresponsible I spent 3 months in India; including Hampi. I didn't take malaria tablets and didn't get malaria. I did get bit a lot, mostly by bedbugs in the scabby rooms and hostels where I stayed. This was 15 years ago though, so you'll have to make your own mind up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...