UKC

Manta Pros for Ice Climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJoyce 15 Jan 2016
Hello there,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with ice climbing in Scarpa Manta Pros? If so, are they any good?

I'm looking for a boot that is good for ice, alpine stuff and stuff like trundling up hills in Snowdonia.

(I only climb up to about WI4 on a very good day)

Cheers!
 JJL 15 Jan 2016
In reply to CJoyce:

I have these.
They're a good all-round B2 boot. So, if B2 is what you want, they'll be fine.

A couple of other observations:
- I find them slightly narrower for the size than other B2s. However, there wasn't enough in it to change my choice
- They are light (?the lightest) for B2 - which is important to me. I find an extra 200g on each leg makes quite a difference over the course of a weekend
- They are the best "stiff" boots I have had for walking in, being a halfway between rigid/flat (think walking on planks) and totally banana.
- they have been fine with my grivel crampons on quite steep/hard(water) ice, and very warm
- durability seems good. I have trashed other boots in short order and these have held up.

A lot of it is about fit though - and they're not B3, so don't expect them to be.
 alasdair19 16 Jan 2016
In reply to CJoyce:

I really like mine have done some nice routes in the alps with them.

not sure what the other poster is comparing them to but they're probably at the heavier end of the b2 market these days. scarpa offer 1 or 2 lighter models for starters.

However to lead wi4 I'd definitely use a b3. would be perfectly adequate and comfy for classic Scottish mixed like the easier Ben ridges.
OP CJoyce 19 Jan 2016
In reply to JJL:

Great, thanks for your help!
OP CJoyce 19 Jan 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

Thanks!
 Hobojim 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CJoyce:

Very heavy boots by modern standards and there are many other options available. As mentioned above they have some unusual fitting characteristics, might work for you might not. I'd go down the boot shop and try a range of brands on.
 mcanuda 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Hobojim:

What other models do you suggest as lighter alternatives for the op?
LakeDistrictMountaineer 19 Jan 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

The boots in the Millet or Boreal range...or La Sportiva Trango Alps.

But it all depends on fit.
 CurlyStevo 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Hobojim:
> Very heavy boots by modern standards and there are many other options available. As mentioned above they have some unusual fitting characteristics, might work for you might not. I'd go down the boot shop and try a range of brands on.

Considering they are mostly suede construction they are quite light for a B2 boot mostly lighter boots will be man made materials.
Post edited at 08:29
 CurlyStevo 20 Jan 2016
In reply to CJoyce:
My friend has lead grade V in the old Mantas. They were pretty stiff back then but the design has changed. Modern B3 scarpa boots are now quite flexible IMO (quite a bit more so than original nepals which do flex a little)

That said if you are actually wanting to occasionally lead WI4 I'd get a b3 boot myself, apart from probably being stiffer it gives you more crampon options. For WI3+, Scottish IV (maybe very soft V) and under the mantas will be probably fine (although like I said I don't know how much the latest model flexes compared to the old model).

It also depends on you foot size and weight, smaller / less generally results in less flex with most boots.
Post edited at 08:34
 JJL 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Hobojim:

> Very heavy boots by modern standards and there are many other options available.

Bolloxs.

Please name one B2 rated boot that is lighter.
 sleavesley 21 Jan 2016
In reply to JJL

I've had a few pairs - obviously the new mantas are labelled pro and have changed.

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/manta-pro-gtx/ Come in at 1640g Per Pair 42

Where as the Sportiva trango come in at 1450g per pair.

http://www.joe-brown.com/5366/products/la-sportiva-trango-alp-gtx.aspx

Whether or not that is perceptible is another matter as fit will be more important than weight.
Also the make of crampon may increase weight more significantly.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jan 2016
In reply to sleavesley:

Sure but the mantas are a different beast. The tangos are man made materials with a less thick and aggressive sole and not as hard wearing outer materials.

they say 1kg on your feet is work 4 on your back.
 mcanuda 21 Jan 2016
In reply to mcanuda:

Anyone any experience of the Salewa Pro Guide, in particular the sizing compared to street shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...