UKC

Finding out you're being filmed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm interested in peoples opinions here as I don't really know how to feel.

I was in a clients house the other day for work related purposes, as I do regularly. I'm a keyholder and they know when I come and go, often when everyone's out. It was getting dark and as I was leaving I noticed infra-red lights in the corner of their entrance way. When I go closer I see it's one of these https://www.y-cam.com/ - a camera you can watch remotely, record and log visits etc.

I was a bit shocked because nobody ever mentioned it, and I haven't noticed it before. I did feel a bit violated, but then I felt stupid because it's their house. They can do what they want right?

But what if I had a really private conversation on the phone? Or for some reason had to get changed in their house (far fetched I know but not impossible).

Genuinely curious what people think. How would you feel if you were working in a customers house and found out you were being secretly recorded?
 The Lemming 15 Jan 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Private dwellings do not come under the Data Protection act for CCTV and as such private citizens don't have to abide by any Data Protection and CCTV regulations, including not having to put signs up that they have CCTV cameras.

As you say, its their home and they can do as they please. I'm guessing that they have a personal reason for such a camera.

You have two options, one is to accept the camera and enter the property and the other is not to enter the property but any data captured is going to be exceptionally boring and of so low quality that you may not even be individually recognisable.

My own CCTV is fookin excellent and can identify practically anybody day or night.
 The Lemming 15 Jan 2016

> Genuinely curious what people think. How would you feel if you were working in a customers house and found out you were being secretly recorded?

I also forgot to mention that at times I do walk into people's properties with CCTV + microphones. Once I spot the camera's I just act as I normally do however I may refrain from some rude words.

Most of these cameras are in properties with elderly occupants. The cameras are used so that family members can remotely keep tabs on the occupants.

I think I read somewhere that the UK has the most cameras per population than any other country in the world.

Gulp

ceri 16 Jan 2016
If the camera is in the entranceway, would you get changed there? Hopefully your behaviuor whist working would be of a standard that it doesn't matter if you are filmed. I suppose the problem is that it was a surprise to find camera there? Think how many cameras you were on getting to the house.
I'd quite like to get a camera to have a bit of a look at what the dogs get up to whilst we're out.
It would mean I could see the dog walker come, but that would not be the purpose.
 jimjimjim 16 Jan 2016

Can't see a problem with it to be honest. When I'm working in people's house I always assume I'm being filmed and refrain from raiding the fridge or sniffing the ladies knickers. For the best really.
 The Lemming 16 Jan 2016
In reply to ceri:

> I'd quite like to get a camera to have a bit of a look at what the dogs get up to whilst we're out.

> It would mean I could see the dog walker come, but that would not be the purpose.

I did a bit of research on the free software that is out there, and you get what you pay for which is why I ended up getting Sighthound. I've been using it for a few years with a camera above my front door.

https://www.sighthound.com/

johncook 16 Jan 2016

It's their house.
Expect security measures in all places in this day and age. Don't do anything wrong and you will be OK. Private phone calls can be put on hold until you are outside!
Intruders/burglars need to be caught and evidence from cameras can help!
 Brass Nipples 16 Jan 2016

I felt my privacy had been invaded whilst I sat in their house checking my Willy warmer for size. How dare they!

In reply to ceri:

> Hopefully your behaviuor whist working would be of a standard that it doesn't matter if you are filmed.

Of course that goes without saying. I totally respect their right to rig their house with cameras in every room, I was just exploring an emotive reaction.

To be honest the first thing that came to my mind was how I stupidly I act when I'm alone. When you work for yourself, and by yourself all day, you get a little bit weird. You talk to yourself and the cat in the house, sing, rap... dance? etc... I mean, if someone put a secret camera on my dashboard they would have You've Been Framed royalties for decades. I imagine this client probably has a blooper reel of me rapping Dr Dre songs to the dog.
 Scarab9 16 Jan 2016

Firstly. From previous threads on Ukc, and monitoring gets angry responses. Not sure why everryond is do cool with this.

I find it intersersting (it's not relevant to me)

You get videoed say discussing a reTionship aNd the media jump on it with the usual OGilvy care for thd truth.....

Gonna be pissed off?
 BrainoverBrawn 18 Jan 2016

More surveillance but as yet not more civil liberties groups. I would like to see tables and memberships in the high street of people who need advocate networks in case they get misrepresented on camera.
We can chat or share photos online but generally are not really in touch this way with our rights and have less representation than ever. More choices, more photos (in many ways) but more fragmentation from serious social representation.
I remember getting an advocate once, free. Citizens advice is old hat, even my sister working for them didn't mean I believed they knew what to do. We can chat about what we don't understand or need to recall with others without just cameras.
 Skip 18 Jan 2016

Paranoia. The government's doing a good job in making the population scared and therefore more controllable.
 flopsicle 18 Jan 2016

I'd far rather someone see something I've done than have an accusation of something I haven't. I work in the community but people are in when I go to their house - wouldn't have a problem with being secretly filmed though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...