UKC

Tasermuit Fjord, Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 16 Jan 2016
Hi,
After putting a post up sometime ago about info on climbing in Greenland in general, we have settled on Tasermuit Fjord. If you have been there, or know anyone who has, place let me know. I'm particularly after details of rock climbs, big or small. Most of the topos I can find are only for the harder stuff.

Thanks.
 Tony & Sarah 16 Jan 2016
In reply to David Coley:

Hi David, we have climbed quite a lot in Tasermuit Fjord & surrounding areas. If you e-mail us, we can have a chat.

Sarah & Tony
OP David Coley 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

Have emailed you. Thanks
 mcrtchly 20 Jan 2016
In reply to David Coley:

My partner and I visited Tasermiut Fjord last August 2015, not to do rock climbing but to trek through the Klosterdalen valley (if you are interested in a video of Klosterdalen including views of Ketil look at our video: youtube.com/watch?v=fFihqt587gs&

Some info that might help. We used a locally based Spanish company for the boat transfer. The company is called Tasermiut South Greenland and their website is http://tasermiutgreenland.com/ We dealt with Radu, the manager in Narsaq but the the transfer was done by their local man in Nanortalik - Jose Terjo . Jose is also a rock climber and runs the company's hostel in Nanortalik. At the moment I think that Jose is back in Spain for the winter but you might be able to get contact details through the company via the tasermiutgreenland website. We paid about £500 for a drop off and collect for 2 persons from Klosterdalen.

Another useful contact is Niels in Nanortalik Tourism http://nanortaliktourism.com/ He can also arrange boat transfers and book local accommodation in Nanortalik. Niels has a shop selling some outdoor gear and can supply fuel for stoves. There are two supermarkets in Nanortalik but we took mainly dried food on our treks which we brought from Europe. Niels does keep topos of some of the climbs in the Tasermiut area.

One final bit of advice, be prepared for the biting insects. There are the worst that we have experienced any where in the World. It forced us to wear headnets generally when below 600m elevation.

Martin
 GDes 20 Jan 2016
In reply to David Coley:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1216

this was our trip in 2008. Feel free to email me if you want any info. We had really great weather, and found mixed rock quality rock ranging from brilliant through to choss. Stunning place, although can vouch for the mosquito comment above. They are ferocious. I was covered in bites even through two long sleeve tops.
 Tom Briggs 20 Jan 2016
In reply to mcrtchly:
> Another useful contact is Niels in Nanortalik Tourism http://nanortaliktourism.com/ He can also arrange boat transfers and book local accommodation in Nanortalik. Niels has a shop selling some outdoor gear and can supply fuel for stoves.

That's great to read that Niels is still there. He made arrangements for us in 2001 (on the cheap, local fisherman) and with a bigger team/tourist boat, in 2003. Top guy.

Amazing area. Mossies weren't too bad the first time (it was more the black flies) as we were camped right by the fjord. In 2003 there were pretty grim.
Post edited at 12:38
OP David Coley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Tom, are you suggesting that we camp as close to the water a possible to avoid the mossies? Were you camped somewhere else the second time? Thanks
 mcrtchly 21 Jan 2016
In reply to David Coley:

The insects (mosquito and extra large midges) weren't too bad by the fjord but terrible elsewhere in August 2015. They stop at night and in colder areas above say 600m. Many of the valleys are boggy and are ripe breeding grounds for them. A campfire helps to ward them off a bit (there's abundant dead wood in many areas along the fjord and we generally cooked using the fire, saving fuel for higher areas where there wasn't any wood).

Another thing to think about are the dwarf trees and shrubs can make progress slow (sometimes only 1km in hour!).

The Harvey's Greenland 1:100k maps are generally OK for access but they don't show all the detail and paths are only shown approximately - in fact there aren't really any paths.

brianrunner 28 Jan 2016
In reply to David Coley:

Great video Martin, well done- especially with all those insects!

Brian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...