UKC

Best budget compact camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doms1 17 Jan 2016
I'm looking at getting a compact camera for trad and hillwalking. I'm not looking at spending large sums of money - probably around £150. I've done a fair amount of browsing and reading the forums but most threads are on the top end of the market. Anybody got any recommendations on the budget end of the market? There seems to be an enormous amount of choice, and quite frankly, I'm not sure where to start. I've come across the Olympus Tough TG-850 and Canon IXUS 275 HS. Anyone got any experience with either?
 Mountain Llama 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Doms1:

Hi

been using the cannon ixus 265 HS for over a year now. I wanted a decent but cheapish point n press for the hills. It was a which best buy.

have found it to be fine for the hills and good for indoor as well. easily fits in your pocket.

HTH Davey
 PaulTanton 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Doms1:
Morning,
I've got a Lumix DMC T35. Great little camera with a good zoom. Its good on full auto mode but has full maual mode.

I've found the lense cover is too delicate for outdoor use. It now sticks a bit and needs a flick to open it.
They do an underwater version that looks better for climbing use.
 Babika 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Doms1:

I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix S7000 (£129) as a replacement for my last Nikon

However I'm not impressed.

Its been very unreliable and seems much poorer than my old Coolpix. Its also thinner and seems harder to hold steady when you're trying to belay with the other hand
 pec 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Doms1:

I just got a Panasonic Lumix LF1, early results seem promising.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJC02DW?keywords=panasonic%20lumix%20...
Slightly over budget but I got it from John Lewis for £150 a couple of weeks ago so could be worth shopping around.

It seems to get good reviews from punters (see Amazon reviews above) and professionals alike
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-lumix-lf1-review
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/reviews/compact-cameras/panasonic-lumix-lf...

The deal clincher for me was that it seems to be the only camera for around that price that has a viewfinder (apart from a few bulkier bridge cameras perhaps) so you actually see what you're photographing in sunlight and turning off the main screen greatly increases battery life.

MickCam 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Doms1:

I use Lumix DMC TZ 30, a superb little camera. Very compact, full auto or Manual. Takes excellent video and battery lasts for ages. I got this camera because my Lumix FZ 38 was a bit too bulky for hillwalking, I couldn't carry it in a pocket so didn't use it enough. I got my DMC TZ 30 on Ebay, well under your budget. I go mine after recommendations on another Hill Walking forum. Panasonic are my go to brand of camera these days. Superb value for money, and more shooting options than I will ever use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...