UKC

Touring skins on newly waxed skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Do I need to worry about sticking climbing skins straight onto newly waxed skis?

Heading off on a trip in March where I'll be starting at the bottom (i.e. no lifts) and wondering whether getting my skis waxed beforehand is going to cause problems.
 Dark-Cloud 17 Jan 2016
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Shouldn't be a problem if they have been done properly, it's never bothered mine.
 top cat 17 Jan 2016

As above: just make sure they are well scrapped / buffed. Take some kitchen green scratchy stuff for a final polish........
 HammondR 17 Jan 2016

Recently had my new skis hotboxed by Jon at the Piste Office near Nottingham. He puts a coat of Zardoz Notwax on to finish. He warned me not to fit skins till I had done a bit of skiing.
Check if they apply Zardoz when you have them waxed.
 Dark-Cloud 17 Jan 2016
In reply to HammondR:

And what pray tell does that do, seems you don't want that on before putting skins on according to their website ?

http://www.zardoznotwax.com/what-is-notwax/faqs.php
 HammondR 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I suspect it is a go faster finish. Just wanted to warn the original poster. I normally wax my own skis and have never used the aforementioned product for DIY. Thought it was worth a word of warning in case it is common in shop waxing.
 Dave 17 Jan 2016
Won't cause any problem whatsoever.

daWalt 18 Jan 2016

I'v been warned, and seen it myself (unfortunately not in that order).
don't use fluorine (Teflon) based wax (inc NotWax)...
it'll leaves a trace layer on the skin glue, makes them a lot less sticky.

it'll happen less so if the base is well scraped, but my skins became noticeably less sticky, and my mate had a pair of skins that became unusable for the same reason.
I'd only ever use hydrocarbon wax, and even then the base gets well scraped.

(if you're not sure what wax you'll get from the service shop it's probably hydrocarbon; they tend to be cheaper)
 Dark-Cloud 18 Jan 2016
In reply to daWalt:

I read that too but then spoke to the guys who look after the skis at Glenmore while we were up there and they just use whatever wax they have and have never had an issue with glue degrading, YMMV though !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...