UKC

Liverpool bouldering venues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 17 Jan 2016
Hi

Have a fews hours to spare in Liverpool tomorrow, which is best for a few hours bouldering, the hangar or awesome walls

Or pex hill......

cheers
 Andy Farnell 17 Jan 2016
In reply to llanberis36: Aweful walls is, well, awful for bouldering, The Hangar is light years ahead. Parts of Pex are dry but there is lots of seepy dampness.

Andy F

OP llanberis36 17 Jan 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

Thanks andy

hangar, or if dry pex it is
 Shapeshifter 17 Jan 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

Pretty damp around Chester today and tonight - if you've only got a couple of hours the Hangar might be a better bet than Pex
OP llanberis36 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Shapeshifter:

Thanks for the update

cheers
 john_mx 17 Jan 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

What time you look at going bud, I could possibly meet you! John.
In reply to andy farnell:

I'd be the first to agree that The Hanger's great for bouldering and beat's us hands down as it's a dedicated bouldering centre but to call Awesome Walls awful is not fair. Five different bouldering areas that are frequently changed far surpasses a lot of other 'traditional' climbing centres that I know!

Good to see your still active and climbing well!

Cheers

Dave Douglas
Awesome Walls.
 The Lemming 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Douglas - Awesome Walls:

> I'd be the first to agree that The Hanger's great for bouldering and beat's us hands down as it's a dedicated bouldering centre but to call Awesome Walls awful is not fair.

Yep, I too enjoy using your Lead Walls.

> I'd be the first to agree that The Hanger's great for bouldering and beat's us hands down as it's a dedicated bouldering centre but to call Awesome Walls awful is not fair. Five different bouldering areas that are frequently changed far surpasses a lot of other 'traditional' climbing centres that I know!

Hi Dave, I spend a lot of time training at AW in Sheff, and have spent a fair amount of time in your other centres, esp. Liverpool. The lead walls are working very well at the moment and mostly well set. I'm a big fan of the Crypt at Liverpool, if you defocus your eyes, it's 1986 in a Sheffield S7 cellar again! However, it's route setting which characterises a wall. Obviously it requires regular resetting, but the quality of the setting dominates. Maybe it's just me (and AF), but in another thread, Shef AW bouldering was described by someone as 'unloved'. I would really like to make special bouldering training trips to AW Shef or Liverpool, but the quality of setting isn't comparable to the ClimbingWorks or Foundry. This isn't a big dig at your centres as I really enjoy them, hopefully its constructive criticism!?
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Hi Paul

I'm always open to constructive criticism.

The latest set in Sheffield bouldering area one has just been completed by Dave Mason and Alex Fry for the GB team training weekend. Alex sets mainly routes for us but we'll be inviting Dave back to reset the bouldering when it's ready to be done (4 weekly change schedule).

With regards to the bouldering in Awesome Walls Liverpool, even with the Worlds best setters, I don't think it would attract many more from The Hanger! That's not saying we won't looking new setters though!

Thanks again for your feedback

Dave Douglas
Awesome Walls

Andy Farnell 27 Jan 2016

The bouldering at Liverpool AW has never been its strong point. The lead walls are where it is and always has been. Yes, you have 5 different areas but the woodie is by far the best, the others come across as a side show to the main walls.

Criticism aside, most walls would struggle to offer bouldering better than either the Hangar or Depot Manchester. Focus on your walls strong points, for they are what people go in for.

Keep up the running, I'm amazed your knees and ankles can cope!

Andy F

Agreed on the crypt. I miss the unique close to the floor (at all times) climbing In there! Good practice for Bunched sitters that are rife in s lakes/n Wales/peak lime.
 Mick Ward 28 Jan 2016

> I'm a big fan of the Crypt at Liverpool, if you defocus your eyes, it's 1986 in a Sheffield S7 cellar again!

So that's why I feel at home in there!

Agree with Richard, it's got its own atmosphere/style.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

> So that's why I feel at home in there!

> Agree with Richard, it's got its own atmosphere/style.

> Mick

Yeah, but the kids nowadays don't know what 'Giro Day' is....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...