UKC

Manchester climbing depot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 17 Jan 2016
Anybody been to the new Manchester Depot today?

If so was heating working?

Went there yesterday with a couple of mates. The first thing we noticed was how cold it was. There was a fault with the heating and it was not going to be fixed on the day. so we moved on to Liverpool.

Yes, we all play outside where it can be cold, but isn't the point of going indoors because we crave those creature comforts of not freezing our tits off?
 Andy Farnell 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Temp Lemming: I was there earlier, yes it was a bit chilly, but that just made for better climbing. Personally I hate when walls are too hot. Give me cool anytime.

Andy F

RyanOsborne 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Temp Lemming:

I was there for a couple of hours today from opening time, and wasn't particularly cold. Wore shorts, a t-shirt and a jacket.
 Max Clarke 17 Jan 2016

No way! I'm all for climbing walls to be cold.

As I see it, you can always put another fleece/down jacket etc on if you're cold, but if you're warm it can be very difficult to cool down.

Pushing at your limit (the only way to get stronger in a bouldering wall) is impossible if you're sweating off everything.

Just my thoughts. I know not everybody will agree.
 planetmarshall 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Max Clarke:

> No way! I'm all for climbing walls to be cold.

> Just my thoughts. I know not everybody will agree.

If it means fewer boulderers with Darts Players' physiques emulating their heroes by climbing shirtless, I'm all for it.

ThunderCat 17 Jan 2016

Damn!

If only there was some sort of invention...some sort of layered, thermal device...somehow designed to fit roughly to the contours of the human body that could somehow trap warm air close to the skin thus negating the effects of cold air outside whilst still being flexible enough to afford the wearer a degree of flexibility and movement.

I'd be on the phone to dragons den in a heartbeat if I could think of something that ticks those boxes...
OP The Lemming 17 Jan 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hmmm.

Both my mates and I work outside and if we wanted to play out in the cold then we would do that too. However yesterday we fancied the creature comforts of climbing in the warm where we could show off our middle aged potbellies.
 FreshSlate 17 Jan 2016
It's certainly nippier than most and yes I was there today. As I had my down jacket in the car from bouldering the day before I found it great. Didn't spend 300 quid on a downie for nothing!
Post edited at 20:05
 TheGeneralist 17 Jan 2016

In support of the OP, when it's cold there, it's piss takingly cold. I'm normally a very warm person and hate over warm climbing walls, but on Thursday night it was absolutely baltic.
But the weird thing was, it wasn't the air temperature that was the problem, the wall and holds were so cold that your hands just got really really chilly when climbing. Just like climbing outside in winter.
I did about 20 or more problems up and down wearing t-shirt- fleece and a jacket and was nowhere near warming up my hands. In the end I just did floor exercises for a while to get proper warmed up.

After which it was ok
 Bulls Crack 17 Jan 2016

There's a happy medium - some are too cold i.e. injury inducing cold - other (new Hudds wall take note!) are too warm; but the most you'll get injured at these is your pride.
 deepsoup 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Max Clarke:
> No way! I'm all for climbing walls to be cold.

Cool is cool.
Cold, hm.. maybe not so much, depends how cold.
F*cking freezing is no damned good.

> As I see it, you can always put another fleece/down jacket etc on if you're cold

Unless you suffer with Reynaud's, in which case you'll struggle to get fingers and toes functioning regardless, and it'll be pretty painful much of the time.
Andrew Kin 18 Jan 2016

I thought cold was good for climbing, at least thats what the climbing wall we use tell us

Spare a thought for people who cant climb like me(Operation) and cant move about much to stay warm. 2-3 hours i have to spend at the wall and having had a metal plate inserted in my leg recently i can actually feel it getting colder the longer i stay. I get home and have to warm up slowly incase i have frostbite.

Must admit we have a complete arsenal of items to help my daughter combat the cold at the wall.

1) Multiple reusable handwarmers
2) Cuddly toy with microwaveable wheat bag inside
3) Gloves, Hat, tops. Down jacket

The trouble i find with the intense cold for her is that she warms up,, warm up climbs then climbs. She doesnt really get tired easily so its more the coldness of the holds which bring about breaks in her climbing (Bouldering). By the time we manage to warm the hands back up she has lost any temperature in her muscles to get back on the walls safely. She should really be doing another warm up routine before she gets back on the wall.

Thankfully the temperature has got below zero and the auto heaters have kicked in which means you can go and stand in front of them for 5 mins to get a quick preheat

How on earth did you find time to get cold in that place??? You warm up on the walks to and from the lockers!
OP The Lemming 21 Jan 2016

Heating still not fixed.

Wsdconst 21 Jan 2016

I imagine they'll be a discount on the entry price then, can't charge full price if your not giving the full service.
 galpinos 21 Jan 2016

Really? It wasn't cold last night? I was just in shorts and t-shirt?

nbonnett 21 Jan 2016

Was there Wed. and Thursday ( today ) most people once warmed up were in T shirts . yes its cold when you first go in but which wall isn't till your warmed up.

Adam Lincoln 22 Jan 2016

Its not even cold anymore?!
 Mike Stretford 22 Jan 2016

> Heating still not fixed.

>

Did you go last night? It wasn't cold, I started off in a sweater and had to take it off.

It was cold the week before, I agree, but I did manage to warm up. If it was a cold winter they would probably be getting more complaints about this, but as it is it's hardly an issue. Bit of luck for a new business....... I'm chuffed to bits, best wall in the country on my doorstep!
OP The Lemming 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Did you go last night?

No, sorry. Made a call during the day and then changed my plans to go to Liverpool.

I have to admit that I was impressed with the look and feel of Manchester however I will postpone any visits until the weather warms up.

I don't mind being a wuss, its just that if I go indoors I like my creature comforts.
 Alyson 22 Jan 2016

> Yes, we all play outside where it can be cold, but isn't the point of going indoors because we crave those creature comforts of not freezing our tits off?

Eh lad, is tha goin' soft like?

I go indoors to train, so I mind less about creature comforts than I do about being able to climb. I've been using the Climbing Works and yes it's pretty cold when I arrive, but after 5 or 6 problems I'm taking my fleece off and climbing in a t-shirt.

The only downside is that if I stop and have a rest I get very cold very quickly. This means no halftime flapjack and brew, I have to wait til I'm done.
 deepsoup 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Alyson:
> I've been using the Climbing Works and ...

Even they've had the heating on once or twice lately though.
 Alyson 22 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

True, they have one heater for the staff area. Last week they were standing on chairs to get close to it!
 Mike Stretford 22 Jan 2016
> I have to admit that I was impressed with the look and feel of Manchester however I will postpone any visits until the weather warms up.

> I don't mind being a wuss, its just that if I go indoors I like my creature comforts.

Fair enough, horses for courses. It's such a big space I don't think it will ever be toasty.
Post edited at 15:32
 Lemony 22 Jan 2016

> I don't mind being a wuss, its just that if I go indoors I like my creature comforts.

Never go to eden rock, it's the only place on earth colder than Bridlington Seafront.
 Fraser 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> I imagine they'll be a discount on the entry price then, can't charge full price if your not giving the full service.

Hah, the world loves an optimist!

PS Don't try Ratho over winter then, it can be sub-Baltic in there.
 JackPalmieri 22 Jan 2016

If you like creature comforts there isn't a better wall then the new depot. It's really clean, all the mats are carpeted, decent changing and toilet facilities and it isn't all that cold anymore. It was for a couple of days but even then i found it fine once i got going. Like others have said most people are climbing in t-shirts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...