UKC

What walk about lenses are available?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 18 Jan 2016
What options are available for an APS digital camera with a Nikon fit that is between a kit lens and 'she'll chop my balls off' priced lens?

I'm not after a supper zoom so anything wide and upto, but not essential, 100mm range.
 carr0t 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Temp Lemming:

Hmmm. Prime lenses are a good option. In recent years there has been an explosion in lenses that cross a massive zoom range and are sold as a replacement for all your other lenses, but at the end of the day a prime lens does one thing and does it extremely well, as opposed to the jack of all trades, which are generally good, but by necessity are designed for compromise across their range. Add to that the fact that they are generally lighter than your average zoom lens and you're onto a winner. Get one with as low an f-number as possible to allow maximum light in, making it even more versatile!
OP The Lemming 18 Jan 2016
In reply to carr0t:

Got a prime lens at the moment, cheers.
 Skyfall 18 Jan 2016

I'm a Canon geek so can't help but gave you a like anyway, for no apparent reason
 Mike_d78 18 Jan 2016

The newish Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm is considered by many to be a good walkabout lens, it was an update to the 18 - 105 lens.

Looks like you could pick it up for <£200
In reply to mikedelderfield:

> The newish Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm is considered by many to be a good walkabout lens, it was an update to the 18 - 105 lens.

I have the 18-105 at the moment and want to try something different, possibly sigma but not sure.
 CMcBain 18 Jan 2016

I really like the Sigma 17-70mm, perhaps falls a bit short of the 100mm end but does fall nicely between kit lens and soul crushingly expensive lens.
In reply to CMcBain:

Don't suppose you have one and can comment on its use?

I used to own the older 17-70 2.8 but it broke which is why I got the nikor lens.

As I understand the new sigma is not 2.8 throughout?
I know that sigma does a 24-70 but I would much prefer to go wider.

I'm not all that interested in seeking out big zoom numbers.
 CMcBain 18 Jan 2016

Yeah, its 2.8-4. I had the choice between the older constant aperture lens that you had and the newer one which I went for.

I think the non constant aperture would of been a deal breaker for me if I recorded video more often but because I usually only shoot stills I never really notice. You still get nice creamy out of focus areas at f4 and it seemed a nice step up in terms of sharpness from my old kit lens (as well as a bit more zoom and faster aperture).

I'll upload some shots I took with it recently!
In reply to CMcBain:

That would be much appreciated
 Toerag 19 Jan 2016

This might be worth a look if you need a big zoom range http://blog.mingthein.com/2016/01/19/making-lenses-inside-sigma-18-300/#mor...
 CMcBain 19 Jan 2016

Have uploaded a few pics on my gallery that were taken with the Sigma
OP The Lemming 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Thanks for posting some images. Don't suppose you have any images with close-ups or action shots showing the speed of focus in action?

Here's an example of my old 17-70 sigma
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/4162969909/in/dateposted-public/
 john1963 19 Jan 2016

You could try the sharpest lens out there for a Nikon dx .The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM is something different.
OP The Lemming 19 Jan 2016
In reply to john1963:

I'm guessing that would be good for astrophotography
pjm 19 Jan 2016

What sort of photography do you want it for? Walking e.g. landscapes? Does it need to be weather sealed?

My favourite lens is a 70mm macro which I also use for portraits (on a crop sensor) as it is the sharpest lens I own despite being a fifth of the price of a slightly longer f/2.8 zoom I used to favour.

But for walking I use an 18-55 f/3.5-5.0 "kit" zoom because it's weather sealed and is a lot cheaper to replace than my f/2.8 17-50 (a far nicer lens). If my 35mm prime was sealed I'd probably just take that as it's my second sharpest and faster - but I don't want to get water inside...

So in short, YMMV depending on what you want out of your lens.

Incidentally, if you want to take better photos, ignore the lens and get better light
OP The Lemming 22 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

> I really like the Sigma 17-70mm, perhaps falls a bit short of the 100mm end but does fall nicely between kit lens and soul crushingly expensive lens.

I used to own the 17-70mm 2.8 lens, and loved it until it died. Sadly Sigma do not make it any more.

However I have taken a punt and got the same lens as your good self. Even though the lighting has been pants over the last couple of days, I have to say that I am mightly impressed with how pin-sharp it is and how fast it can focus on a small moving object which is practically jet black.

I don't think I am going to miss the reduced zoom of 35mm, and more importantly I am now inspired to get out there and take more photos. For, that alone the lens was worth every penny.

Cheers
 Adam Long 22 Jan 2016

I've been using the Nikon 16-85 for years and it is fantastic. Sharp, fairly compact, very useful range and has VR. Fairly pricey new but there should be plenty of used bargains around now the new, faster and even pricier 16-80 is out.
 Smelly Fox 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

The 16-85 is my walk-about too. Picked one up for £200 second hand in very good nick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...