UKC

Wide Angle Lens for D7200

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Heaton 19 Jan 2016
Hey,

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for a Nikon D7200? I'm after something for general landscape photography, ideally quite fast so that I can get some decent night shots. Looking to spend under £500.

Cheers.
 Fraser 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Heaton:

I'll wheel out my stock response to this and say the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is very good. Nice and sharp across the full image and has good IQ for not much money.
 Adrien 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

One caveat though: it handles flare poorly if you like shooting into the sun; I tried the Sigma 10-20 (can't remember which one) and it fared a lot better. It's slower though. I found the Tokina a bit soft in the corners, but I haven't made any comparisons with other lenses so... The new Tokina 14-20 f/2 looks interesting, depends on how wide you want to go.
 Fraser 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Adrien:
Yes,I've noticed issues with the flaring on the Tokina, but contrary to your experience I found my 10-20 Sigma a lot softer round the edges. It was a lot slower to focus though. Overall I definitely prefer the Tok but the OP might want that little extra width as it is noticeable. Maybe that was my problem with the Sigma, I almost always used it at 10mm, (unless I had a filter on) which is never going to give the best IQ.
Post edited at 11:04
interdit 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Heaton:

I've just bought a Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 which is the replacement for the11-16 and the RRP is the same.
There was no major price dip on the 11-16mm when the new lens became available as far as I could tell and the price difference between the two is not massive now.
I spent £350 at hdewcameras.

I've noticed no particular flare issues with the new lens. It's sharp and I am very happy* with it in general - just need time to get out and use it more.

Things to consider.
It's a sturdy lump to carry in the hills and takes large 82mm filters. (I believe the 11-16mm takes 77mm filters).
I'm still trying to find out if the Lee wide angle filter holder fits it before buying - some reports that the hood bayonet fitting gets in the way?
I've never met anyone that likes Tokina's push-pull MF-AF clutch mechanism (though the new one is smoother apparently).
The Tokinas don't have any sort of silent wave motor.

I'm not currently hosting any of my images in a decent online gallery and so you will have to accept the appalling quality that the fb upload & compression algorithm give you...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153299989781239&set=a.1015089...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153305263626239&set=a.1015172...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153329369871239&set=a.4226911...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153359626891239&set=a.1015089...

* Actually chuffed to bits with it.
I agonised over which lens to get for a long time - exacerbated by my difficulty in getting anywhere to try the different lenses.
 Adrien 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Sorry I only meant to say that the Sigma handles flare better, not that it has sharper corners. I only handled it for like 2mn to see how it performed when shot into the sun so no idea how it fares sharpness-wise. I agree that as odd as it sounds, the extra millimeter IS noticeable!
 MikeTS 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Adrien:
> One caveat though: it handles flare poorly if you like shooting into the sun; I tried the Sigma 10-20 (can't remember which one) and it fared a lot better. It's slower though. I found the Tokina a bit soft in the corners, but I haven't made any comparisons with other lenses so... The new Tokina 14-20 f/2 looks interesting, depends on how wide you want to go.

Have just ordered a Sigma 10-20, which they say is great value. Checking the reviews, the Tokinas did well apart from the clutch thing. With a DX as you know I am sure, 10 is really 15 on DXs, and they said you can see the differences between say 10 and 14 - so having 10 I think is a significant difference for a DX..
Post edited at 13:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...