UKC

Beamer Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 19 Jan 2016
Q. for the UKC auto-posse

Thinking about a 56-57 plated BMW 320...got about £5.5K

Anything I need to be wary about - mechanical/electrical that is?

Octavia punters need not post )
 graeme jackson 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:
Check on the steering wheel that some idiot hasn't added an extra stalk to turn the indicators off and on. As a BMW driver you will never need this feature. While you're at it, you might as well get rid of the rearview mirror. You'll never use it so you can save a little weight.
In reply to Greenbanks:

320d or 320i?
 tspoon1981 19 Jan 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

Ensure the tracking device is enabled, it allows you to drive aggresively, inches from the bumper of the car in front.
OP Greenbanks 19 Jan 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

320i preferred....
In reply to Greenbanks:

Oh dear - best replace the outdated BMW driver stereotyping. Surely you mean Audi drivers?

PS. What's an indicator?
In reply to Greenbanks:
Keep an eye out for any kind of oil leakage. They are prone to dumping oil. Personally I'd be looking at the 320d. The turbo is a worry but other than that they seem quite strong. In fact I am currently in the market for the 335d touring myself. Sadly I can't yet find one in the chavvy white I like within my budget.

Here's a lot about the 320i. Not well structured but lots of info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136258&page=40
Post edited at 10:31

Cheers - some good insights there; it doesn't seem like the most reliable of motors...
Rigid Raider 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

Can you face the embarrassment of having a beemer parked on your drive? You might want to consider clearing out the garage.
 Brass Nipples 19 Jan 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Check on the steering wheel that some idiot hasn't added an extra stalk to turn the indicators off and on. As a BMW driver you will never need this feature. While you're at it, you might as well get rid of the rearview mirror. You'll never use it so you can save a little weight.

And get rid of reverse gear, you will never need to back up when you encounter another car on a single track road.
In reply to Greenbanks:
No worries. As a side note while I remember, my ex-girlfriend's parents had a 120i and the timing chain broke twice f*cking the engine both times at great expense. I'm not sure if 320i is has a chain, but worth investigating. Expensive as hell to repair given BMW do everything possible to wriggle out of paying.

Also: why all the BMW hate on this forum? Knobs exist in this world and they drive every kind of car, including BMWs. Confirmation bias?
Post edited at 10:58

Agree re. the anti-BMW outpouring. I do loads of motorway miles (25k per year for the last 15) and I can't really say I am aware that BMW drivers appear to stand out as necessarily aggressive or lacking in courtesy. As I've intimated, the last few years have seen some apparent rise Audi-linked aggressiveness - though I'd not want to join a witch hunt in that direction. As you say, knobs drive all sorts - like the class act on the M1 this a.m. , half light, heavy traffic yet undertaking, sidelights only, then nipping out to squeeze the spacing in outside lanes, causing some sharpish braking. The motor? A 57 Nissan Micra...)
 GridNorth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

There seem to be more 3 series BMW's on the road than any other make. By the way, and I don't know if this is true but, I was told that motorbikes are "Beamers" but cars are "Bimmers". I had a 2010 320i, it was a dream to drive especially on bendy roads. Anyone who tells you that a BMW is just an expensive Ford Mondeo must never have driven one.

Al
 Bob Hughes 19 Jan 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

> There seem to be more 3 series BMW's on the road than any other make. By the way, and I don't know if this is true but, I was told that motorbikes are "Beamers" but cars are "Bimmers".

Cars are Zim Zimmas

https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&am...
 Indy 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Can you face the embarrassment of having a beemer parked on your drive?

Is that to do with it being 8/9 year old car or BMW in general? I've got a BMW company car and I don't think anyone would be embarrassed to have it parked outside their house.

As for the steriotype BMW driver I'd say the problem lies with young boy racers in really old BMW's and women drivers who for some reason seem to become really aggressive in macho cars.

Have to say that I've had and seen many more issues with Audi drivers in the past 18 months or so especially when on the bike (cycle).
My thoughts.
In reply to Indy:
I personally maintain that you get knobheads in all types of car. I'd postulate that there may be a link between newer cars and less than polite road behaviour. I'd further postulate that this is more specifically an affliction of those bought on finance by people who cannot really afford it but do it to enhance an image they want to portray. They therefore relish the feeling of superiority.

But I have zero evidence to back this up. I would be surprised however if it were simply boy racers or women who are the problem.
Post edited at 13:11
 Siward 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Indy:

I'd say it is well heeled execs (in fact, probably salesmen) in brand new BMWs that fit the stereotype rather than the old banger brigade
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Indy:

Well that was a nice trip out for a "women drivers" type comment. Haven't heard one for a while.
 Indy 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
> Well that was a nice trip out for a "women drivers" type comment.

Am I not allowed to express a view on the matter based on personal experience?
Post edited at 14:06
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Indy:

Of course you are allowed an opinion just expect others to sometimes disagree with it if you express it in public. I meant no harm by the comment it was just a cheeky one liner.
Rigid Raider 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

I blame the rise of the black Audi with a noisy aftermarket exhaust on the Transporter films; they are especially popular with people who feel the need to project a tough "what laws?" image.
Removed User 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:
You will find an achilles heel in every make and model of car so it is worth keeping that in perspective.

That said, the 6 cyclinder models are seemingly bulletproof so maybe a 325i would be better (of course it would be better!) and I doubt it would be much more expensive to run, assuming you can find one.

The only negative thing peculiar to BMW ownership is wearing out your sighing muscles when hearing the same hilarious jokes about indicators/tailgating/rear view mirrors/snow/etc.
Post edited at 16:59
 johncook 19 Jan 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

I remember you as a Triumph Spitfire man, although it did seem to attract incidents!
 johncook 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Indy:

Audi drivers can't see you for the smoke cloud!
 GridNorth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to johncook:
Hello John. It was the only sports car I could afford I had a couple. The first one was a bit of a banger and you are right there were a few "incidents". My second one, which I don't believe you ever saw, was a much better car and one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. But we all grow up don't we? I'm a boring VW Passat man these days but I had a few very nice company cars over the years. My son has a brand new Audi R8, very nice, very fast and very practical. Wish I could afford one but I'm just a poor old pensioner these days.

Glad you have presented yourself. Could I interest you in a CC Meet to Sicily in March or perhaps even a trip to Kalymnos around the same time if you would prefer. My regular partner has just cried off. I understand you are still climbing quite well. I seem to be stuck at f6b+ and E3 but I did manage an over graded f7a with a rest on my last visit to Kalymnos in October so there is some hope for me yet.

Sorry for the hi-jack but I did maintain some of the theme of the OP.

Al
Post edited at 17:32
Graeme G 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Octavia punters need not post )

Ok. Can i interest in you in a Mercedes C220 then?
Andy Gamisou 19 Jan 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

> Ensure the tracking device is enabled, it allows you to drive aggresively, inches from the bumper of the car in front.

Rubbish - my 18 year old beamer doesn't have this device and I have no problem getting, and staying, this close to the vehicle in front.
 tspoon1981 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

I genuinely laughed out loud.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...