UKC

6 months of travelling; where would you go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pandaling 19 Jan 2016
If you had 6 months off work to see/climb the world, where would you go and why?

Got a few ideas in my mind, but there's only so much inspiration one can draw from googling 'travelling bucket list'.

Very interested to hear where everyone wants to go, or has already been and would recommend
 Siward 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Combined Munro/Corbett trip. Get to it!
 LastBoyScout 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

I'd probably travel through India, Northern Asia and China and end up in Japan.
 CMcBain 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Depends on what sort of climbing you're after, heres a couple of my dream trips;

Patagonia - Would be great just to even visit this sort of place and do some easy alpine style routes/peaks

A tour of America - Would be great for a longer trip, work you way down from Canada (Squamish) down to U.S.A (Spoilt for choice! Red Rocks, Indian Creek, Yosemite...) then finish in Mexico (El Potrero looks amazing for multi pitch sport).

Australia - Think for me this is tied with America, 3 months in Arapiles and 3 months in the Grampians

Yangshuo in China - Always been a bit of a dream of mine, sport climbing in an unusual place.

India - Go bouldering on Hampi (depends on time of year I guess though) then once you're bored go sport climbing in Badami. You could even combine India with somewhere else like Thailand.

South Africa - Rocklands for bouldering and Boven for sport

Morocco - Adventurous trad climbing

A tour of the European alps or Spanish sport climbing would be good as well, although it seems reasonable you could do that sort of thing as a shorter trip. May as well make the most of a 6 month trip and go a bit further afield. Whatever you do you probably won't regret it .
 Trangia 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

>
> South Africa - Rocklands for bouldering and Boven for sport

Also Table Mountain, Cederberg and Du Toits Kloof for some of the best multi pitch trad in the World
 Tom Last 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Patagonia
cb294 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Depending on time of year, the Stans, then Patagonia.

CB
OP pandaling 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Literally sounds like you've read what we've been brainstorming for an itinerary, with some extras we hadn't thought about!
And I agree, about taking advantage of going further a field too, make the most of the extended time off.

Has anyone been to Nepal?
 Mr. Lee 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

I'd personally take the opportunity to visit some really hard to reach places. Places too impractical for a 2 week holiday. Away from the standard tourist trails. Do the stuff that personally makes you tick, rather than get sucked in to following standard itineraries.
 abr1966 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Andes and Patagonia.
 Mark Collins 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Siward:

> Combined Munro/Corbett trip. Get to it!

Much better than all the other options in terms of carbon footprint.
 dogfish 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

What time of the year do you plan on going ? Budget ? This would narrow the destinations down a bit.
 Dauphin 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:
Go travelling or go climbing. Depending of course how much money you have to burn. Carrying all the extra kit around for months on end in the developing world is not a lot of fun unless you have a vehicle - so Europe or the Americas. Or you could do both - do some climbing, send kit home, continue with holiday. If it was me I'd be interested in N. and S. America because the scene is so well developed, people are super friendly and helpful and the infrastructure for getting around and rescue is well developed. Less ball aches, nice people, edible food and water, more climbing.

Patagonia + Argentina + Chile is the shit.

D
Post edited at 21:33
 Brass Nipples 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

I'd attempt a remote crossing / journey aka Tilman style. Still plenty of exploring to be done.
 rpc 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

As mentioned, it depends on season, money, personal goals. I’d do a mix of stuff (all climbing centered though – traveling w/o climbing is not satisfying to me). Something really adventurous – I’m soft, 3 wks of living in a jungle or a desert or miserable alpine conditions is sufficient. Then do something “easy”, say a road trip through Australia or South Africa or US/Canada – nice easy camping with an occasional motel room and climbs chosen to taste (long, short, no approach, long approach etc). Then I’d mix in some “resort climbing” destinations like say Thailand or El Potrero Chico in Mexico – little to no moving around, plenty of good climbing, cheap liquor. Then there’s the intermediate stuff, like say a climbing trip around China (there’s a new guidebook) or to Cochamo Valley (and/or Frey) or to Wadi Rum – not exactly expedition quality but takes a bit of planning. It’s a big world – so much to climb.
 The New NickB 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Cycing and climbing through Europe in to Asia, later summer in to autumn. Buenos Aires to Punta Arenas in the Southern spring / summer.
 JanBella 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

thats easy: Namibia to Botswana to Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya and then to Ethiopia Africa is amazing.
 BusyLizzie 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Six months... what an unimaginable freedom. I would probably spend it in Scotland, which at present I can only experience in tiny occasional snatches; I would do as many Munros as practicable; I would spend a month on Skye; I would explore the islands and do a kayaking course. Mmmmmm... (elderly lady drifts off into fantasy..).
 Cheese Monkey 19 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

If I could go again I would drive or bike to somewhere mad. Met a Scottish lad in Vladivostok that had rode most of the way there, he was casually off to Japan to get some spare parts for his bike. Met a Dutch couple in Nepal that drove there in a Landy with their young baby. I recon if I could I would probably bike off to the Stans, figure out how to get to India on the way and then go to Bangladesh for a look
OP pandaling 20 Jan 2016
In reply to dogfish:
Haven't planned enough of the itinerary yet to know how much we'll need, but we'll have at least £25k between the two of us for six months - obviously don't need to spend all of it!
The time frame is also not set in stone, but Feb-August 2017 is what we're targeting.

It's really interested in seeing what other people would do with the time.

Patagonia seems a popular shout, hadn't thought of that, silly - South America was definitely on the list for me as well!

Keep the ideas coming, really appreciate everyone's input Trying to consider all options as this is a once in a life time opportunity (unless I switch careers) so I don't want to miss out on destinations because I didn't realize they existed!
Post edited at 00:45
 Ben.o.neill 20 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

For me it depends on funds and if you will be going with a climbing partner...

I spent the last year traveling and climbing around Asia. Theres a huge amount of good climbing there and you will never be short of a partner. Yangshuo is a must if you're in that part of the world, best place I've ever climbed.

However I think if I had a bit more money and a partner (I've heard a lot of people try to do solo trips around Europe and struggle for a partner) I would head to Europe. There just seems to be so much world class climbing around places like Spain and France, and thats just to start. I don't think you could even fit half of it in if you climbed for 6 months but I'd love to try.

This is all coming from the point of view of a sport climber...
 Robert Durran 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Ben.o.neill:

> For me it depends on funds and if you will be going with a climbing partner...
> This is all coming from the point of view of a sport climber...

But if what you want is trad climbing then North America with its fantastic variety and quality would easily keep you happy for six months, moving with the seasons. And I think that finding partners online is relatively easy in America.

dogfish 20 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Make sure your in the right place at the right time . If you get the wrong season a climbing gem could end up being a nightmare.
What types of climbing are you mainly looking at doing on the trip?
Trips like these don't usually happen to many times in life for some, so get far away, you can always tick off more local destinations on shorter breaks.
 steve7734 20 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Funny you ask - I'm doing exactly that right now! I decided to start off in south Asia (Sri Lanka) and head generally south-west, to New Zealand.

First was Sri Lanka; no real rock climbing but trekking in the Knuckles Range and Horton Plains. I was in Sri Lanka for a month but that's probably longer than you need to exhaust the possibilities. 2-3 weeks would be enough.

Then Nepal (a quick plug for my last blog post here if the mods don't mind - http://wp.me/p6imB6-2S) for 5 weeks. The Annapurna Circuit, sport climbing in Pokhara. And of course the trekking peaks like Mera Peak are there for you if you want something more committing, but that should be affordable on your budget. Nepal has to be visited in the right season though, and September to mid-December is best.

Then Thailand and sport climbing in Ton Sai (near Krabi), with Koh Phi Phi and Phuket nearby. Hundreds of routes, of course. And deep water soloing. The cool season is around November to March. 'Cool' is a relative term here though.

Australia will be next, with some climbing in the Grampians. However January is really not the best time to go - far too hot. So my advice would be to head on down to NZ with it's cooler Summer and go crazy with the cragging and Alpine possibilities.
 steve7734 21 Jan 2016
In reply to steve7734:

south-east, I mean
 Tony the Blade 21 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

A few years ago our lass and I did this: 6 weeks camper van in New Zealand; 2 weeks in Oz; one month in India; 3 months in Nepal.

Next year we are currently planning: Fly to Seattle, drive down the coast (nice and steady staying at places en route) to San Fran, then a few weeks in Yosemite, Death Valley etc, then the Grand Canyon. We will then fly to Cuba for 2 or 3 weeks, Nicaragua, Venezuela then Brazil and Peru, possibly including the Galapagos Islands. Before heading South for 23 days in the in the Torres Del Paine NP and Tierra Del Fuego. That's the plan as it stands, subject to change
 summo 21 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Top to toe of the Americas, just zigzag your way down each country, picking the best bits. The hard bit is timing your seasons for the best winter / summer conditions. Forget Asia, ME, Africa etc.. too much ISIS nonsense.
 Siward 21 Jan 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Whatever you do, why not chase a total eclipse somewhere amazing

(Although having had a look that seems to limit you to the usa for 2017)
 nutme 21 Jan 2016
last year I had 4 months between jobs and was debating a lot about the destination.
Ended up spending most of the time in Alps and was very happy about it. Mainly because I could not find a climbing partner willing / able to go for 4 months to Patagonia, Himalaya or Thailand. In Alps I had a dozen of people joining me during that period. Worked really well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...