UKC

Snowdon this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LucasCu 20 Jan 2016
Hi all,

Myself and a few friends are attempting to hike Snowdon this weekend, via the Pyg Track.

Has anyone been this way in recent days and could comment on conditions?

Cheers,
Lucas
 bags 20 Jan 2016
In reply to LucasCu:

Came back yesterday after a great few days on the ridges. It was fine and crispy higher up, but not brilliant - there was a lot of slush of the approaches but it got better towards the tops.

It's colder in Oxford than Snowdonia at the moment and forecast isn't brilliant, but I would guess there's going to be some slippery sections on the pyg for a while. Advice would be to stay away from the gullies, apparently a ton of wet snow fell down somewhere in the glyders on Sunday.

If you haven't already, I'd have a look at @wardeneryri on Twitter. There's regular updates from the pyg on there.

Have fun! I'm sure it'll be a giggle if you're careful.
LucasCu 20 Jan 2016
In reply to bags:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Regarding parking at Pen Y Pass (I know its £10!), what sort of time does it become full; we're hoping to arrive before sunrise. Would this do?

Cheers
 Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2016
In reply to LucasCu:

Not sure about winter but it was pretty full at 6.15AM and chock full at 8.00AM in late September !!
LucasCu 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Ah I see,

I'm hoping due to it being winter (dark, cold etc.) it would be safe to bet we could get a space around 7:30am!

I hear the only other parking is quite a distance from Pen Y Pass, and the Sherpa bus service doesn't start until 8am.

Cheers
 Stu_1985 20 Jan 2016
In reply to LucasCu:

I was there today at 0730 and plenty of space. Weekends are a lot busier, may need to get there quick.

Snow has consolidated after last nights freeze. The pyg track has a good covering of snow (many people have walked along it so there is a nice beaten path). At the top, there is a small cornice and evidence of some very small avalanche debris along the path. There is a thaw forecast over the next few days so may cause more.
Ice axe and crampons are a necessity just now.

Hope this helps.
 andrewmc 21 Jan 2016
In reply to LucasCu:

There is some free parking along the A4086; just make sure to park on the Conwy side of the Nantygwryd (no parking on the Gwynedd side except pay and display). About a mile and a half walk uphill to Pen y Pass.
In reply to LucasCu:

Ask again tomorrow! Been much warmer today and raining, so snow disappearing fast and what's left is getting soft and slippy.
LucasCu 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Ha thanks!

Any more news? I'm in central London now, heading to North Wales in a few hours. Quite a bit of rain here; however, forecast for Snowdon (at least the morning) looks dry and relatively clear!

Cheers
Lucas
 JimmAwelon 22 Jan 2016
In reply to LucasCu:

You'll find some patches of snow for a snowball fight but most of it has gone and i doubt it will get cold enough for what is left to freeze again. Yeah looks fine until 4pm tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...