UKC

Life in a terrorist house...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phizz4 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

If the teachers hadn't reported it they risked prosecution themselves under the new legislation. Getting more like China and North Korea every day.
 lummox 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I wonder if the poor little fecker was crapping it when the coppers came round the house ?
 winhill 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> I bet millions of us live in them

I'm not sure that we do,

Officials have denied claims a spelling error led to a 10-year-old Muslim boy, who wrote he lived in a "terrorist house", being spoken to by police.
The family of the pupil, who attends a Lancashire primary school, claim he meant he lived in a "terraced house".
The boy was spoken to by Lancashire Police at his home the next day.
In a statement, police and the county council said it was "untrue to suggest that this situation was brought about by a simple spelling mistake".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-35354061

The story of the spelling mistake went global this morning, appearing all over the place, the response much less so.

Although that statement doesn't mean that the spelling was correct, simply that there were other concerns as well.
 psaunders 21 Jan 2016
In reply to winhill:

"No concerns were identified"
 off-duty 21 Jan 2016
In reply to psaunders:

> "No concerns were identified"

Thankfully, having visited to check.
 psaunders 21 Jan 2016
In reply to off-duty:

So there were concerns about concerns, suspicions of suspiciousness? How much of a concern of a concern does there have to be to search someone's house and computer?!

It's just insinuation, fear, overreaction and outright racism.
 tony 21 Jan 2016
In reply to psaunders:

> So there were concerns about concerns, suspicions of suspiciousness? How much of a concern of a concern does there have to be to search someone's house and computer?!

The child wrote 'I hate it when my uncle hits me'. I'm not sure how a teacher is supposed to respond when they read something like that.
 off-duty 21 Jan 2016
In reply to psaunders:

> So there were concerns about concerns, suspicions of suspiciousness? How much of a concern of a concern does there have to be to search someone's house and computer?!

> It's just insinuation, fear, overreaction and outright racism.

Totally agree, insinuation, fear and over-reaction.
We are talking about your response to a less than half-baked piece of sh1t journalism, aren't we?
In reply to off-duty:

I think there would have been a greater outcry if they hadn't visited on suspecting a spelling error and something had happened.

Damned do, damned don't.
 Tyler 21 Jan 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It was nothing to do with the terrace/terrorist concern. The child made a claim that he was abused by a family member. Strangely the Guardian are now reporting the story as the BBC misinforming everyone but instead of writing what really happened they still go on about extremism and the requirement for teachers to report it!
 Wsdconst 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

The article has been removed
 Dax H 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> Strangely the Guardian are now reporting the story as the BBC misinforming everyone but instead of writing what really happened they still go on about extremism and the requirement for teachers to report it!

11 year old boy living with terrorists is national news, it ticks all the boxes from the racists shouting about them Muslims at it again and the lefties saying the UK is becoming like North Korea.
Uncle hits 11 year old boy might get a part of page 4 in the local rag.
Some journalists are the scum of the earth and will twist any story to sell paper's and further their own agenda.

In reply to psaunders:

> It's just insinuation, fear, overreaction and outright racism.

Spot on, especially about the racism.
 off-duty 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> Spot on, especially about the racism.

I'd like to think you are referring to the reaction to the story.
But I'm guessing, sadly, that you are blindly following the fear insinuated by over-reaction to the nonsense in this article.

In fact it is rather worrying (and racist) how many people blindly believe that because a child is Asian and mentions "terrorist", it MUST be a job about terrorism, rather than because a child describes being beaten, it might just generate concern, regardless of his ethnic background.
In reply to off-duty:

I don't blindly follow anything. I see what I see, I hear what I hear and then I make my own mind up.
 tony 22 Jan 2016

So how do you think the school should have responded on reading what the child wrote: 'I hate it when my uncle hits me'? Don't you think it a good thing that was investigated further?
 Mr Lopez 22 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

Is this the standard procedure when there may be a hint of a child being mistreated? Police visiting the home and interviewing the child without parental knowledge? Honest question
OP Trangia 22 Jan 2016
In reply :

Another point is that I'd be surprised if the child of a Jihadist would refer to his family as "terrorists" even if they were. That's an expression used by the police/government/security services/press to describe extremists involved in terror.. Do they actually describe themselves as such?

off-duty 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Is this the standard procedure when there may be a hint of a child being mistreated? Police visiting the home and interviewing the child without parental knowledge? Honest question

Without FATHER'S knowledge, because he was at work.
He does have another parent.
 tony 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Is this the standard procedure when there may be a hint of a child being mistreated? Police visiting the home and interviewing the child without parental knowledge? Honest question

No idea. I'd hope for some kind of follow-up beyond the classroom.
 off-duty 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

It appears to have been a joint police and social services visit. Fairly low-key, and I'd guess social services to do general check on welfare of child(ren), police if required to carry out police protection order for kids.
As previous, father might not have been there, but no suggestion mother wasn't.
It would be odd for a 10 year old to be home alone, and very unusual to speak to them without an appropriate adult (if not parent).
 THE.WALRUS 23 Jan 2016
> I don't blindly follow anything. I see what I see, I hear what I hear and then I make my own mind up.

Yes but what you saw / heard on this occasion was a load of misreported, leftist gumph, which is why you've come to the incorrect conclusion that the school and police response was all about overreaction and racism... infact they were just concerned about the safety of the child.
Post edited at 00:24
 Roadrunner5 23 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

> No idea. I'd hope for some kind of follow-up beyond the classroom.

I don't know the UK but in the US we are legally bound to report such things as teachers or coaches. we'd face the sack and charges if their was abuse and we hadn't passed iton.
 Timmd 23 Jan 2016
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Yes but what you saw / heard on this occasion was a load of misreported, leftist gumph, which is why you've come to the incorrect conclusion that the school and police response was all about overreaction and racism... infact they were just concerned about the safety of the child.

What's leftist about misreporting? It happens in other papers too.
Post edited at 22:33
 Andy Morley 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> What's leftist about misreporting? It happens in other papers too.

If you subscribe to a polarised left-right view of politics then anything you disagree with or don't like will tend to get ascribed to whatever side you don't identify with.
 MG 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

In this instance it seems to fit the "facist, heavy handed, racist police target innocent, peace loving, multicultural Muslim parents" narrative, which is associated with lefist views.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...