UKC

Adidas to withdraw Sport Sponsorship

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 25 Jan 2016
I can't say that I blame them

Sport performance enhancement drugs cheats have ruined it for everyone. I feel desperately sorry for up and coming young athletes, but the whole business has been tarnished by the cheats.

It's difficult to get enthusiastic about following competitive sport these days
 tony 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> I can't say that I blame them

No, the IAAF isn't exactly a brand you'd want to be associated with at the moment. I was surprised at how little money involved - it seems their support was only $8m a year, which isn't much compared with Adidas sponsorship of Manchester United, for example, which is reported to be $750m over 10 years.
 crayefish 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Yep... athletics has really been sullied by the drug cheats. It seems tennis might be on the way with the match fixing, and football has gone down the pan with the rampant FIFA corruption (not to mention all the diving).

Luckily there isn't as much money in rugby so it is relatively unaffected!
In reply to crayefish:

> Luckily there isn't as much money in rugby so it is relatively unaffected!

Ha! Good one.
 Chris the Tall 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I suspect Coe's close links with Nike may also have played a part
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2016
In reply to crayefish:

> Yep... athletics has really been sullied by the drug cheats. It seems tennis might be on the way with the match fixing.

Not to mention the drugs.

> Luckily there isn't as much money in rugby so it is relatively unaffected!

You a League fan then?
 Hat Dude 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

When I heard this, it crossed my mind that it's a touch ironic that the desire to win sponsorship from companies like Adidas can't help but have increased the pressure to cheat.
 JEF 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Anything that makes Coe squirm is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. He's a twat.*

*can I say that outside the pub?
Post edited at 19:00
In reply to crayefish:

> Yep... athletics has really been sullied by the drug cheats. It seems tennis might be on the way with the match fixing, and football has gone down the pan with the rampant FIFA corruption (not to mention all the diving).

Diego Costa's efforts yesterday against Arsenal was this years diving low point for me. OK, the defender shouldnt have gone for him but FFS, he made no contact and Costa went rolling about the floor holding his ankle. Defender got sent off. It makes me want to jump into the screen a beat the living daylights out of him. Grrrrrrr!

I think its time for a retrospective punishment of divers and cheats which dont get spotted by refs. If a panel of football experts spot this afterwards then the player should be banned for the next game and fined a week's wages, Lets see how Costa gets away with that. The stigma alone when they get publicly rumbled should be enough.

I f&^%* hate divers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john arran 25 Jan 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> I think its time for a retrospective punishment of divers and cheats which don't get spotted by refs.

I think that time came at least 10 years ago. Football could have been much more enjoyable to watch by now if they'd taken the opportunity.
 HakanT 25 Jan 2016

I couldn't agree more. And I'm not just saying that because I'm an Arsenal fan. A two-match ban for obvious dives would put an end to theatrics pretty quickly.
 crayefish 25 Jan 2016

I am not a fan of football but on the odd occasion I see some, the diving really winds me up. It's like they spend half the time tripping over their own shoe laces. But in a game that often only has 1 or two scores, the temptation to get a free penalty must be high.

On the opposite end of the scale I sometimes I see rugby players have to be taken off by the medic as they want to play on despite the injury... I guess it's related to pride (either a macho thing or not wanting to let down the team).

Not to say it's as black and white as that, but just the general gist from how I see it...
 Big Ger 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Company linked to slave labour keen to disassociate itself from doping scandal

http://newsthump.com/2016/01/25/company-linked-to-slave-labour-keen-to-disa...
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2016
In reply to crayefish:

> On the opposite end of the scale I sometimes I see rugby players have to be taken off by the medic as they want to play on despite the injury... I guess it's related to pride (either a macho thing or not wanting to let down the team).

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bloodgate
 Roadrunner5 25 Jan 2016

I don't think he dived at all. It was a stupid challenge.

there does not need to be contact to red card someone. Just intent. if I player leaps a kick and there is no contact, is it a foul? yes. so could it be a red card? yes.

For once refs had a decent weekend. I thought the two big calls this weekend were spot on, the yellow for the city defender and the red for the arsenal player.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...