UKC

Simple Stealth Camper Conversion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flavio 25 Jan 2016
Calling to all dirtbaggers out there!

I am planning to spend winter researching, buying and converting a vehicle to a basic camper. My budget and the fact that I am a new UK driver with no NCB (but held a licence for 8 years) means my choice has narrowed down to a Fiat Doblo Cargo or similar without losing too much space or money.

I have seen many stealth campers around crags owning standard vw caddy, vauxhall combi, transit connect, fiat doblo, citroen berlingo etc. If you are one of these people, what have you insured your van as??? Which insurer to you use?

I am not interested in a full blown conversion to qualify for re-classification with the DVLA but a DIY panel van conversion with insulation, a leisure battery, fixed single bed w storage underneath and a side cabinet to use as table for cooking and for storage. Would a standard van insurance for private/leisure use be enough for the above specs?? (I am happy with speed restrictions for vans over 2000kg)

Thanks!
 crayefish 25 Jan 2016
In reply to FlavioL1989:

I don't know about your specific case but for modified vehicles I have found Adrian Flux to be the best. Literally not one single part of my race truck is even remotely standard (think homemade Bowler) and yet I can get it fully comp for under 250 quid including breakdown cover (or at least I did when I was in the UK).

Try calling them and just explain the type of van/camper you 'have' for a quote.

Last time I insured I had to submit a full page document detailing all the mods I had done that year (on top of the 3 pages they already had) and yet it made my renewal cheaper for some strange reason! No idea why but I didn't complain. I guess they assume people who spend that much time on their vehicle will most likely be careful with it!
 jkarran 26 Jan 2016
In reply to FlavioL1989:

That sounds like a van with some shelves in it to me. Don't see why you'd have to insure it as anything else just because you occasionally sleep on them unless it were cheaper to do so. Then again, my insurer couldn't be less interested in what modifications I've made whenever I've bothered to tell them.

jk
 MB42 26 Jan 2016
In reply to FlavioL1989:

I have a similar setup in a transit connect and have insurance through Adrian Flux, they do cover for van conversions which aren't reclassified. They didn't ask for many specifics but I did go through what I had on the phone with them.

It seems to be a bit of a grey area but I wasn't willing to risk it, they also turn out to be reasonably priced in my case.
OP Flavio 29 Jan 2016
Thank you all for the advice!

It seems from talking to others as well that insurers don't seem to mind what is inside a panel van (apart from dangerous chemicals/gases), but van insurance is more expensive than a camper.
 BStar 29 Jan 2016
In reply to FlavioL1989:

Hi Flavio,

I own a Doblo Camper that I converted myself... More of a full on conversion than just a matress in the back, but it is stealthy. Adrian Flux are really good with the insurance, but if it is just a van then throwing a few camping bits in the back shouldn't invalidate anything.

You should be able to see some picutres here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100333327328908.1073741855.2747...

Message me if you want any more info on it.
 Garrouli 29 Jan 2016
In reply to FlavioL1989:
You would have to insure it as a panel van. To get it re-classified as a motorhome, the DVLA have a list of requirements which need to be met and one of those conditions is the addition of windows.

Sped restrictions, as far as I am aware, are for 3.5t and higher vans, not the smaller ones. For 3.5 tonners, If re-classified, you get to go an extra 10mph faster!

Sometimes its worth actually finding out what you are insured for. The insurance for my van was cheaper when it was a panel van, but when I re-classified it, it was more expensive as the contents of the van are worth far more now, though I had to stipulate the total cost to the insurance company. Thus, if anything happens, I will be insured for the cost of the converted van and not the un-converted panel van cost.
Post edited at 14:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...