UKC

Cecil Parkinson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

How will he be remembered, do we think?

Nothing but a sh*t who abandoned his child, or will there be anything else?

jcm
Post edited at 00:03
 Big Ger 26 Jan 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

A chartered accountant by training, he entered Parliament in 1970 and was appointed a minister in Margaret Thatcher’s first government in 1979. He successfully managed the Conservative Party's 1983 election campaign, and was rewarded with an appointment as Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.

Parkinson subsequently served as Secretary of State for Energy, and later Transport. He resigned that office in 1990, on the same day that Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister. He was created Baron Parkinson in 1992 and served in the House of Lords until his retirement in September 2015.
Clauso 26 Jan 2016

Just another Tory tosser.
 deepsoup 26 Jan 2016

> Nothing but a sh*t who abandoned his child, or will there be anything else?

That's about it for me. Vile tory hypocrite.

Fraser 26 Jan 2016

> How will he be remembered, do we think?

Well, I must admit I'd forgotten about that element of his career/life till you mentioned it.

Dave Garnett 26 Jan 2016

Margaret Thatcher regarded him as a fellow working class hero.
 wercat 26 Jan 2016

I always associate his name with Piper Alpha
 toad 26 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup: yes. Self serving shit who cast his disabled child off like dead skin. I'm not mourning

felt 26 Jan 2016

A man for whom the word "bounder" was coined.

A role for which Edward Fox was made.

But a person who almost certainly had a good side.
 Mike Highbury 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:
> Well, I must admit I'd forgotten about that element of his career/life till you mentioned it.

How? Having a child after and 10-year relationship and then acting like an utter shit was his greatest achievement. And it amused me no end that the BBC radio journalists had cracked by 7pm yesterday when they led the story of his death with his horrendous behaviour rather than the other mighty deeds.
 lummox 26 Jan 2016

I think the treatment of his daughter by Sarah Keays was the measure of the man.
 Doug 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> ... rather than the other mighty deeds.

were there any ? all I can remember is the stuff related to Sarah Keays & his smarmy appearance on the TV as one of Thatcher's henchmen

The New NickB 26 Jan 2016

If only he had just abandoned her, that Mary Bell Order was a massive abuse of power and a pretty sick way to treat any human being.

In reply to Doug:

I suspect he was one of Thatcher's more competent henchmen, but I'm not sure tha qualifies as great deeds.
 toad 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> If only he had just abandoned her, that Mary Bell Order was a massive abuse of power and a pretty sick way to treat any human being.

It was dreadful
In reply to Doug:
> were there any ? all I can remember is the stuff related to Sarah Keays & his smarmy appearance on the TV as one of Thatcher's henchmen

Say what you like but at least we know that he liked grass on the pitch.
 mountainbagger 26 Jan 2016

"Shortly after her birth, Flora developed serious health problems and Parkinson applied for and won a court injunction that was almost unprecedented in British law.

It forbade anyone, including Sara, from speaking of Flora publicly or doing almost anything that could lead to her identity being revealed. It prevented even Flora talking of her life.

So far-reaching were its powers that Flora's schools have had to go to extreme lengths to conceal her identity - thus she has never been photographed alongside her classmates or been allowed to take part in any school activity."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12120477/The-only-pro...

I honestly did not know about this (I know, sheltered life and all that) and now wish that was still the case! I am not surprised that a person could be like this, but I am appalled the law supported him. It is just so sad.
 Chris the Tall 26 Jan 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

Anyone care to offer an explanation as to the legal grounds on which he got such an abhorrent injunction ?
 Tall Clare 26 Jan 2016

I noticed that alongside the Telegraph article outlining his odious behaviour towards Flora, his obituary listed three daughters - and still omitted Flora.
 BigBrother 26 Jan 2016

> but I am appalled the law supported him. It is just so sad.

Really?
 Babika 26 Jan 2016

Sleep with Secretary 15 years younger, promise to marry her, get her pregnant, suggest an abortion, cast her and the child adrift even when the child has overwhelming health issues......
Emerge (relatively) unscathed, go back to forgiving wife and lead comfortable life of a millionaire in the Lords.

What sort of values did this odious creep have?

I hope that Sarah and Flora can breathe a little easier now that he's gone and enjoy precious time together away from media intrusion

Revolting man
In reply to Tall Clare:
> I noticed that alongside the Telegraph article outlining his odious behaviour towards Flora, his obituary listed three daughters - and still omitted Flora.

The Telegraph article is from 2002, note Flora is 18 there.
 Tall Clare 26 Jan 2016

Ah - well observed. I missed that bit.
 dread-i 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

>What sort of values did this odious creep have?

Tory values.
There was a thread, not so log ago, entitled "What is so evil about the Conservatives?" There are many of us who grew up under thatcher. We not only saw the tories doing bad things, but taking an almost sadistic pleasure in them. It seemed to be one long gravy train for the rich, inept and corrupt.

I wonder if, on his death bed, he saw the error of his ways and bunged a few quid her way in his will? Or if instead, he bounced his millions through off shore companies and other vehicles to minimise the tax paid. One last chance to hurt his daughter and screw over the country, for old times sake.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Anyone care to offer an explanation as to the legal grounds on which he got such an abhorrent injunction ?

Mates in High places

> The Telegraph article is from 2002, note Flora is 18 there.

No longer subject to the Mary Bell at 18.
KevinD 26 Jan 2016

bloody hell. I wasnt really aware of that since it was in the headlines when i was young.
Having read that telegraph article only real thought is utter and complete contempt
 DerwentDiluted 26 Jan 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Ditto, well said.

For chairman of a party that bangs on about individual responsibility he was pretty good at shirking his own.
 MG 26 Jan 2016
In reply to KevinD:

And how the hell did he get such a court ruling!?
 richprideaux 26 Jan 2016

They lived not far from my aunt. I think I met her at least once.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Jan 2016

I used to work in civil engineering with a guy called Roger, who apropos of nothing, was both incredibly well-spoken and incredibly racist. Anyway, he was one a few members of staff chosen to line up and dutifully shake the visiting dignitary's hand and bow deferentially when said dignitary came to open the latest major project. Chosen dignitary on this occasion was none other than the now late Cecil Parkinson. As he approached racist Rog, he was greeted with a cheery "Hello Cecil, how's the baby?"

I don't think Roger was selected again...
KevinD 26 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:

> And how the hell did he get such a court ruling!?

As someone said up thread I guess it comes down to friends in high places. Completely appalling.
Seems to make super injunctions appear lightweight.
 Rob Parsons 26 Jan 2016

> I honestly did not know about this (I know, sheltered life and all that) ...

You'll be telling us you only know the certified liar and cheat Neil Hamilton from chatshow appearances next!

Trevers 26 Jan 2016
In reply to dread-i:

> >What sort of values did this odious creep have?

> Tory values.

Beat me too it!
 Doug 26 Jan 2016

Anyone else noticed that although there are two or three articles about Cecil on the Guardian website, its impossible to view the few comments apparently made, or to make a comment.
 toad 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Doug:

yes, I noticed that, however I had a peek at the mail which did have comments, and they weren't all that impressed with him, but the Guardian are quite risk averse, surprisingly.
 Doug 26 Jan 2016
In reply to toad:
But why note e.g. '5 comments' at the top of the page but then hide them ?
 Geronimus 26 Jan 2016
http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/business-news/politics/top-10-most-shocking-labour-party-scandals/7527.article
"Let him who is without sin..."
Post edited at 20:28
 dread-i 26 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:

> And how the hell did he get such a court ruling!?

The main basis for that kind of injunction is protection of the minor. It's not surprising one was obtained, though of course the press didn't like it. It was after all obtained with SK's consent; I think her later objections to it probably coincided with the publication of her book, though I might be wrong.

Contrary to the opinion of some of the more tinfoil posters, having friends in high places doesn't do you much good in law courts. That's why the Government so often loses, and the Duke of Westminster. Having money, on the other hand, is obviously helpful. It's a mistake to confuse the two.

jcm
KevinD 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Doug:

> But why note e.g. '5 comments' at the top of the page but then hide them ?

probably because the comments were switched on to begin with and then the moderators said "are you having a f*cking laugh" and disabled them after only a couple of comments were left.
 Big Ger 26 Jan 2016

> Parkinson was forced to resign on 14 October 1983 after it was revealed that Keays was bearing his child, Flora Keays. Subsequently, as a result of a dispute over child maintenance payments, Parkinson (with Keays' initial consent) was able to gain an injunction in 1993, forbidding the British media from making any reference to their daughter.

Child protection order then, seeing as the kid was vulnerable.
 MG 26 Jan 2016

> The main basis for that kind of injunction is protection of the minor. It's not surprising one was obtained, though of course the press didn't like it. It was after all obtained with SK's consent;

Ah! That does seem a rather important point, and not mentioned in the articles linked above. So CP was not a *total* shit?
 nastyned 26 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:

> So CP was not a *total* shit?

No, I think he still was.

Clauso 26 Jan 2016
In reply to nastyned:

Seems that most of us have agreed on the noun? It looks as though we only need to settle the adjective?... I'll plump for 'utter'.
 deepsoup 26 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:
> So CP was not a *total* shit?

Sure he was. The main reason for an injunction like that might usually be the protection of a minor, but the reason CP wanted one was for the protection of (what was left of) his political career.

Same as the reason for his abrupt about-face on abortion when he found out Keays was pregnant - after years of campaigning against abortion in general to suddenly being strongly in favour of the one specific one.
In reply to MG:

> Ah! That does seem a rather important point, and not mentioned in the articles linked above. So CP was not a *total* shit?

It wasn't done to protect Flora, it was done to protect Cecil. It actually made life much more difficult for Flora and her mum. It's so transparent that even the Telegragh, don't even try and make a case for him trying to protect Flora.

The Mary Bell Order, is what distinguishes him from run of the mill shits.

> How will he be remembered, do we think?

> jcm

I disliked his face. I will remember him as someone who looked very unpleasant.
KevinD 27 Jan 2016

> That's why the Government so often loses, and the Duke of Westminster. Having money, on the other hand, is obviously helpful. It's a mistake to confuse the two.

That would be the Duke of Westminster who is ninth of the richest Britons list? So ticks both wealthy and well connected.
 Oldsign 27 Jan 2016
In reply to NamelessCwm:

Two wrongs don't make a right, do they now?
 Hyphin 27 Jan 2016

My main memory of the man was someone pointing out his name is an anagram of "no prick is clean" seemed appropriate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...