UKC

Alpkit headtorches, reliable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 26 Jan 2016
Thinking of getting a back up head torch for my current Silva Ninox, as these days a spare torch is barely more weight than a set of spare batteries on their own. I'd rather go for something equivalent to my Silva (3x AAAs, approx. 100 lumens etc.) as opposed to e.g. Petzl e-Lite.

I had an Alpkit Gamma that worked well for a year or so then developed a fault; random dips in power, flickering, and it didn't seem to be impacted by wiggling the external wire about so guessing it was internal. I actually have no bone to pick with Alpkit because the Gamma performed way better than it should for the money. However, strung out and knackered with night creeping in on a winter hill is not the time I want to find out that your headtorch has reliability issues.

In terms of spec the Alpkit Viper is around what I'm looking for and is of course a bargain price. However, wondering if there are any reliability issues past, say, a years use? If so, I may splash out and treat myself to an upgrade (LED Lenser, BD or a brighter Silva for example). But I'm no brand snob, so happy to go with the Viper if they are robust enough for a good few years use.

jimjimjim 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

In my experience no, I've had two alp kit torches and they both have had problems. I only use petzl for when it matters caving or winter climbing. One alpkit torch still works but it's demoted to work and in the van.
In reply to Taurig:

I've Bot 3 Vipers for friends all working great
No issues, great little lamp nice and bright can't complain at that money.

My mates use theirs as the main torch I just keep mine in the house as a spare had a few issues with the Alpkit Lanterns strangely Not liking certain batteries it would seem, and my old gamma still working perfectly that the kids still play with

I can't really fault their kit for the money
And they're customer service is excellent
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I've had 3 Alpkit gammas. All have become faulty or the battery holder lid has broken. I've still got one for non-serious use but have reverted to Petzl (much as I hate the fiddly battery holders) for climbing.
 psaunders 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I had an alpkit gamma. On 3rd use and it developed a fault where it wouldn't switch off. Got a replacement. Battery door broke. Got a replacement battery door. 2nd time out it stopped working for no reason. Gave up on that one.

Ever the optimist, I bought another alpkit headtorch. It arrived with staples holding the elastic strap together (!?) they sent me another strap. I sold the torch. Never again.
 Carless 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I've got 2 Vipers - never had any problems with them
 The New NickB 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I've had a gamma for probably six or seven years, no problems. I've got a Silva Runner that seems to eat batteries, a beautifully crafted Hope headtorch that likes to turn off when you put it on the brightest setting and a Petzl Tikka that is so dim it is not really usable. People seem to have problems with the gamma, but I never have.
 jimbo85 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

Had one years ago that was faulty on arrival so sent it back and bought a BD one instead and no problems with that.
 Wainers44 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

Had an Alpkit one for a few years, no problems at all despite pretty regular use.

Only head torch I ever had trouble with was a Petzl Myo, which packed up after 6 months. The replacement lasted a year. They were 3 times the cost of the Alpkit.
 TobyA 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Yeah, similar here. My first Gamma lasted years mainly tied to my bike Helmet through Finnish winters (so rain, snow, and deep cold). Eventually some water got in the back and a battery leaked I think. For some reason I don't remember Alpkit basically insisted on replacing it free of charge - I don't think I ever thought it was a design issue - anyway the second one has now done years of regular use too and still works great. I bought my kids Vipers each the other year - they mainly use them for reading in bed but occasional camping trips and the like, and they are still going strong more than a year later.

I know people who broke the battery packs on the Gammas too but I've never had a problem - just follow the arrows!

Great value for money and quality in my experience.
OP Taurig 26 Jan 2016
Thanks for the replies so far. What I think we can say is... well I'm not sure. That all brands can have problems? Any manufacturing process will generate a portion of lower grade examples, I suppose you're hoping that a more expensive torch will be less likely to be a dud.

I'm tempted to give them one last shot as they're inexpensive, seem to have a good warranty, and it is a back up so not likely to get heavy use. That said, I do like the look of the lenser seo models....

DaveHK 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I've had a Viper for a few years and had no issues. I switched to it after having 2 Petzl's fail due to faulty wiring.
Removed User 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I bought a Cybalite Egg to use as a spare - 60 metre beam, 3AAAs, red light option, lockout feature to stop it turning on accidentally in the rucksack, and only £20 from Blacks (also available from Screwfix tool stores). Had it over 2 years now and no reliability issues.
 thedatastream 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

The Viper is probably the most reliable of the Alpkit torches I've owned and is currently doing duty as extra winter lighting on my bike helmet. Everything in one unit so less to go wrong.

I've gone through three Gammas now. They are great torches for the money but the battery compartment clips are too fragile so I'm reluctantly not buying any more.

I also own a Princeton Tec Apex which has my go-to trail running and winter walking/climbing headtorch. It's been great and very reliable. I would definitely consider another one of their headtorches, perhaps a Vizz, Eos or Remix. http://www.princetontec.com/vizz
OP Taurig 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

Rab, that looks like a great find, and I can't seem to find any negative reviews about it. For the sake of £20 and a trip to the local Screwfix that could be worth it. Can I ask about battery life, does it seem reasonable? Also, not a lot of info on power settings, is it just a full power 85 lumen and a low power 10 lumen?
 Monk 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I've got several alpkit torches of various vintages and have only once had a problem withone them, which was quickly replaced for free. We have three gammas in our house and they have done good service over the years. I also have one of the original £5 torches (beta?)Which still works Ok despite having been thrown in the boot of dozens of bags and tents. I also have a newer model but only had it for a couple of months so can't comment yet. I'd happily buy from alpkit again. I've had more problems with petzl torches over the years at twice the price.
Removed User 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

No complaints about battery life so far. Yes there are only two power settings (plus red light and flashing red SOS) and the beam pattern is non-adjustable but for £20 you can't have everything. Low is more than adequate for tent/bothy use and at full whack it gives a spot beam of 60 meteres or thereabouts. Like you I also have a Silva Ninox (the original version), and though it has a superb beam pattern I find changing the batteries a fiddly operation, hence the liking for carrying a spare torch instead.
 Phil Lyon 28 Jan 2016
had 3 different alpkit torches on hills in summer and winter as well as thrown in canoes etc when camping.

I've never had a problem.

I guess it doesn't matter what brand you use, you will sometimes get a problem and if that's while you're about to be benighted on tower ridge in winter, that's pretty serious.

as someone else said further up, these days you can carry a decent enough spare torch that hardly ways anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...