UKC

Paddling help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheWanderer27 27 Jan 2016
Hey everyone!

I'm working towards my first paddling ticket, BCU 2 Star right now, but could do with some help (don't really want to join a club!) Does anyone know of any paddling forums or Facebook groups I could look at where I might find someone willing to help out? I've got the gear and I live right next to Coniston Water. Was thinking maybe if someone's working towards their 2 Star Coaching and needs a guinea pig, that would work out great!

Cheers!
Sam
 Billhook 27 Jan 2016
In reply to TheWanderer27:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/ This is the most popular Uk kayak site. They also do facebook too.
 Alex Riley 27 Jan 2016
Ask at local outdoor centres for someone doing their level two or someone who has their level two and is looking to be signed off to run two star awards.

The other place to ask is assessors for level two, because they will be able to put you on touch with a level two trainee.

It's really hard to get Guinea pigs so sure you will find someone.
 NottsRich 27 Jan 2016

UKRGB is the most widely used UK paddling forum, although seems to get a little less traffic these days. Facebook groups are popping up a lot. Between the two of them I'm sure you'll find someone to help out.
 marsbar 27 Jan 2016

Can you go forwards backwards sideways and do a figure of 8 in a reasonable manner?

Is there anything particularly bothering you?

Also why bother with the paperwork if you aren't in aclub?
 deepsoup 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:
> http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/ This is the most popular Uk kayak site. They also do facebook too.

I'm a little bit surprised there aren't more paddling related posts and/or a paddling sub-forum on here, given how many climbers seem to paddle, and how many paddlers seem to climb.

Do you know of any other popular(ish) forums besides UKRGB that are worth checking out?
 deepsoup 27 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

I'll check it out. Ta for the tip.
 Billhook 27 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Song of the Paddle is almost exclusively for open boats - not kayakers but you may aswell try as folk like to help.
 climber david 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

The new 2 start award requires paddlers to paddle both kayak and open canoe so you'll get a lot of help from SOTP as well as UKRGB
 marsbar 29 Jan 2016
In reply to climber david:

2 different types I thought.
 climber david 29 Jan 2016
In reply to marsbar:
the old 2 star was split into different types of boat but the new one (been in play for a few years now) is to be done in more than one type of craft. As far as I know it doesnt specifically state that it has to be kayak and canoe, as the award considers sea kayaks, whitewater kayaks (used on flatwater) and sit on top kayaks as different types of craft so in theory you could do the award in different types of kayaks but the spirit of the award is that you learn both kayak and canoe skills. More info can be found here http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/pdf/BCU%202%20Star%20Syllabi%20V3-0%2...

edit: having looked over the spec above, they have changed it to say 'demonstrating performance in both kayak and canoe'
Post edited at 09:25
 marsbar 29 Jan 2016

I've lost track, they keep changing stuff!
 Welsh Kate 30 Jan 2016

"edit: having looked over the spec above, they have changed it to say 'demonstrating performance in both kayak and canoe'

Yeah, I discovered that today on my 2* training. Bit surprised - doesn't really make sense to me, but the instructor says BCU are thinking about splitting it (back to where it was, by the sounds of things)
 marsbar 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

It seems the BCU exist solely to cause argument and change at present.
OP TheWanderer27 31 Jan 2016

Thanks for all the replies. Having trouble finding Facebook groups, believe it or not. BCU definitely says you have to demonstrate ability in both canoe and kayak.... Wouldn't be surprised if they split it back up again, but I'm hoping they'll wait a while!

And I'm surprised there aren't more paddlers on here - maybe we could ask for some sort of sub-forum? Gathering place of some kind? Got to admit, it was nice to be out today in the calm - not enjoying these high winds!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...