UKC

The Revenant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 27 Jan 2016
Anyone else seen this? I saw it last night. Fantastic scenery in the Canadian Rockies backwoods and some good action scenes including the attack on the hunters' camp by Indians, and the bear attack. Overall a great survival film which makes Bear Grylls antics seem like kindergarten. Pretty harrowing at times and I found a bit too long, but worth seeing.
 BedRock 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Saw it last night. Loved the scenery but didn't really enjoy much else. Too much of Glass grunting and rolling around in the snow - yes I know it is about 1 mans epic survival tale but would have been better at under the 2hr mark in my opinion.
 hms 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

It was beyond me how he hadn't expired from hypothermia several times over.
 broken spectre 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Great quote from the director "If we ended up in greenscreen with coffee and everybody having a good time, everybody will be happy, but most likely the film would be a piece of shit."

Apparently they only shot using natural light too.

A really well crafted film.
 Oogachooga 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Agree it could have been a little shorter by 30 mins. Maybe cut out healing time and more spent hunting the killer?
 Offwidth 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Blown away by it at times, especially the cinematography... the time flew by. It won't win awards for the script and it did border on gratuitousness at times and some bits required suspension of belief but the real story behind it was about a very lucky man and maybe life was pretty grim there and then... as a hardened climber it was compelling.
In reply to Offwidth:

> Blown away by it at times, especially the cinematography... the time flew by. It won't win awards for the script and it did border on gratuitousness at times and some bits required suspension of belief but the real story behind it was about a very lucky man and maybe life was pretty grim there and then... as a hardened climber it was compelling.

The dangling participle in your last sentence makes it unclear whether you are referring to yourself or the protagonist as a 'hardened climber' (I haven't seen the film yet). I know you're hard, Steve, but I don't think that renders you genderless
 Offwidth 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I meant more battle hardened as in climbers often get a strong stomach due to witnessing a few too many accidents, rather than in terms of me being a hard core adventurer. You do need a strong stomach.
 Damo 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I was really looking forward to it, and liked it, but was a bit underwhelmed. Great scenery and cinematography, good performance by Tom Hardy...

But that's about it. Kind of empty, nothing to take away from it, no message, no wisdom, and yet too slow and repetitive for simple entertainment.

They spent a lot of time wading in water in freezing conditions, yet nobody got frostbite or hypothermia. I'll happily suspend belief (and mountaineering knowledge etc) for a Hollywood film, but for a film that's getting kudos for being realistic and tough, and having survival stuff in it, I thought it was a bit lame.
In reply to Offwidth:
You missed my point, Steve. I was being a grammatical pedant. But it did leave your sentence a mite ambiguous.
(PS. It wasn't actually a dangling participle but a dangling noun phrase.)
Post edited at 09:56
Removed User 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I'm currently reading the book. Will look at the film after. There is a certain amount of historical accuracy in story although it appears that some of the historical "facts" my have been embelished.
 Babika 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Saw it on Tuesday - brilliant!

But I came out saying to my mate "well, did he live or die, and what the heck's a Revenant?"

I now know the answer to q2 and the consensus on q1 from friends seems to be "lived - obviously". Although when you don't have the power of revenge surging through your veins I would have thought its easier to die peacefully and succumb to that hypothermia at last..........

rodgit 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Breathtaking film.

Them vicars were tough old bastards!
 Dauphin 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Thought I might get bored after reading this.

What a superb lyrical masterpiece of film making.

Thought he was dead at the end or at least welcoming it.

D
 aln 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Damo:

>good performance by Tom Hardy...

Disagree. I loved the film and Hardy's a great actor but I thought he hammed it up a bit. The scene where he's telling the story about god/squirrel was funny but he was definitely overdoing the twitchy eyed, look, I'm really crazy, thing.
 aln 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

The bear attack was one of the most amazing things I've seen on a cinema screen. Completely believable. That was CGI? Wow. Apart from how real it looked, the bears behaviour was shown so well. A big powerful animal defending it's young, the almost casual swipe of the paw that opens Glass's throat.
 rocksol 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Bear Grylls are stage managed bollocks
In reply to Offwidth:

Where have you been climbing!?!? The Somme??

Oh wait... Stanage Popular.
 Trevers 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I thought it was a great film, although the final act dragged out a little bit too long. Stunning cinematography throughout, and very visceral and intense. I loved that the landscape and wildlife were treated as characters in the film, and I loved the amorality and brutality that was presented to the viewer. It doesn't fall over itself to try and present the various native tribes as wise and noble, as I imagine other film-makers might have done.
 Offwidth 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Moff (sometimes with me providing some assistance) has helped save several lives on mountain routes after serious accidents, being first on the scene before rescue services arrived. Never dealt with anything more than a broken bone on grit.
 Tom Valentine 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Saw it yesterday. Your summary is spot on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...