UKC

Will Denmark now just get the poorest least skilled Refugees?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim C 27 Jan 2016
If a country legislates to take wealth from Refugees that will be claiming benefits ( that may seem fair) but then will only the poorest , and most dependant, refugees come to their country?

Refugees that do have some wealth will presumably not come to their country , but we can assume , those with wealth will have had some skills that let them create that wealth, so other countries will benefit from those refugees with those wealth creating skills, and those who get only the poor unskilled refugees ( who have nothing to confiscate) will possibly pay out more in the long run, as their refugees may never come off of benefits.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/26/danish-parliament-approves-pla...
 knighty 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Jim C:

It may shoot them selves in their foot as you suggest! But as I understand it, they have applied the same rules as are applicable to their own citizens, so very fair.
In reply to Jim C:

> If a country legislates to take wealth from Refugees that will be claiming benefits ( that may seem fair) but then will only the poorest , and most dependent, refugees come to their country?

It seems probable that anyone who gets to Denmark will either have lost their valuables on the way or be really good at concealing or defending them. I doubt the Dane's will get much.

Mr Lopez 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Asylum seekers are usually not allowed to work, so it really doesn't matter how "skilled" they are. Taking in refugees is not about what benefit you can get out from them...
 summo 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I think it's an attempt to prevent the right wing taking greater hold, by showing they are treating folk equally. Not sure on Norway, but Sweden and Denmark don't have endless non contributory unemployment / benefits schemes, you pretty much get what you pay in and personal wealth can also be a factor, once your insurance element runs out after 12mths.

Unskilled - 99% of those coming now fall into that bracket.

Immigration historically here goes in waves or phases. Many years ago, 5 plus, you got the mega rich, they moved their money and assets then flew probably business or 1st class to their chosen land. Then as things got worse the middle classes, took what they could and exited, still with funds to live a comfortable life especially once they were given money for subsistence by country x or y.

Then finally you get those with less money, zero assets and probably much less educated or qualified, who get to their chosen land by fair means or foul. Skilled educated people don't usually need to risk drowning in the Med etc.. they had the means to leave years early.

Most immigrants have extra money though, they get around the equiv of £30 a week here for living expenses, but they seem to smoke, have a mobile, many run cars, shop for clothes... so I'm not personally too worried if the assets they arrive with are being looked at. If you are genuine fleeing suffering then paying towards your own food and accommodation shouldn't be a concern, everyone else has to do that anyway.

The people who the EU should be worrying about are those who did not fall into any of these brackets and are those still stuck in Syria, the ill, vulnerable etc..

summo 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Asylum seekers are usually not allowed to work, so it really doesn't matter how "skilled" they are. Taking in refugees is not about what benefit you can get out from them...

correct, they have to wait until their case is decided (which is often over a year) and they get either permanent, temporary residency, or are asked to leave. Their qualifications also don't decide if they can stay, it is supposed to be what they are running from.
Jim C 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> Asylum seekers are usually not allowed to work, so it really doesn't matter how "skilled" they are. Taking in refugees is not about what benefit you can get out from them...

It may be the restrictions on family joining them that will keep them away, rather than the money issue (or non issue as has been pointed out:- .

£I have not seen my wife and three children for three years. With the new law, it will take many more years before I can see them again. I am losing hope. The asylum system here kills people slowly.£

"Zohra, 21, from Afghanistan, said: £To refugees thinking of coming to Denmark, I would tell them: if there is any chance you can stay where you are, then don£t come here to Europe, especially to Denmark. The Danish government is making harder and harder rules for everyone.
Post edited at 07:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...