UKC

Very quick avalanche survey. Help required!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
samantha.n 27 Jan 2016
Hey guys - I'm in dire need of a few keen people to quickly fill in a survey about the SAIS and your Scottish avalanche experiences. It has been timed to take only 3-4 minutes to complete and the findings will be supplied to various relevant interested bodies and will help enormously in my final year dissertation. Thanks loads in advance! Sam. N.
Click on the link below…

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/FFFKYRB
In reply to samantha.n:

Might help if you give a bit more info about why you need it and what the information will be used for
abseil 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Done, good luck.
samantha.n 27 Jan 2016
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Hi there - I'm not used to forums so apologies for being too brief! I'm completing a degree in finance & accounting (yawn) but have managed to swing my dissertation around to looking into how effective the provision of daily avalanche forecasting (and the associated information on the SAIS website) has been in reducing avalanche incidents. This primary survey is only a small but very important part of the research and it gives me a direct link to the end user group and their opinions and experiences. Any relevant information gained will be shared with the SAIS and SAFOS. Hope this helps.
Sam
 buzby 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

done,
 Greylag 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Done
 AlH 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Done but Q2 is a little hard to reply to honestly as I don't start to make specific plans until after reading the forecast.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:
I'd say it's difficult to say whether it's reduced incidents. If SAIS didn't exist would I have been avalanched? Your survey can't answer that. The SAIS hasn't always existed, you could have asked about years in winter mountains before it existed. If someone did get avalanched what were the conditions like that day, and what area, what aspect slope, what did SAIS say night before? Survey won't find out as you didn't ask.

I've completed it, good luck.
Post edited at 23:10
samantha.n 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Originally wanted to do a big survey and was then advised that I would put loads of people off because it would take too long - so I had to strip it right back to the basics - Plus survey monkey only lets you have 10 questions for free and hey yep I'm still a bit of a dirt bag climber, free loading student at heart!
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Don't know why university doesn't have its own survey website for you to use. Not exactly hard for them to setup on top of the IT they already provide. Oh well.

In reply to samantha.n:

Done !
 Scarab9 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Don't know why university doesn't have its own survey website for you to use. Not exactly hard for them to setup on top of the IT they already provide. Oh well.

Be USe there's perfectly good tools like survey monkey out there. Why spend time and money on a tool which needs hosting and updating when there's a group of people already keeping ahead of the game?

Any way back to op.

Not sure how much good the results will do in the scheme of things, but I would guess it's saved a lot of people from getting I. Bad situations. Even experts get fixated on a target when the situation is bad, rookies need the clear picture this provides.
samantha.n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Reference Question 4 - What part of the report do you find most useful:
Has anyone had problems with being able to make a selection from 1 to 5. A friend has said that he could only choose the first two and the others auto-selected. Anyone else notice this issue? Sorry to be a pain as I'm sure that you've got plenty of other posts to be reading!
 Zoomer 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Done. Hope it helps!
 Dr.S at work 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

done - my only problem with the survey is that I have triggered an avalanche, but have not been avalanched - I'm not sure if you wanted to capture that data.
 Michael Gordon 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

I don't like the question about ranking aspects of the forecast in order of perceived importance. I consider all of these things important so left most of that one blank as (a) it is hard to answer, and (b) it would give the wrong impression, i.e. that I considered certain things quite unimportant. It would be better if one could score each aspect of the forecast individually without having to rank it against other aspects.
In reply to samantha.n:

> Reference Question 4 - What part of the report do you find most useful:

> Has anyone had problems with being able to make a selection from 1 to 5. A friend has said that he could only choose the first two and the others auto-selected. Anyone else notice this issue? Sorry to be a pain as I'm sure that you've got plenty of other posts to be reading!

Yes, see reply above
In reply to AlH:

> Done but Q2 is a little hard to reply to honestly as I don't start to make specific plans until after reading the forecast.

As above. The avalanche forecast is part of my planning process.

samantha.n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Thanks for responding. Yep I thought long and hard about this one as I tested the survey on a group and a similar response came up. In the end I went for avalanches that had the potential to cause injury: I'm wanting to make a comparison to the MR data I have on incidents that required a team callout. Thanks for the feedback as it's good to make me really think about everything.
samantha.n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thanks for letting me know as I can adjust the results to give equal scorings to one of the responses. I used a test group for the draft survey and they requested that they could rank the options. The questionnaire is completely anonymous and the aim for me is to find out more about the Scottish winter mountain user with no judgements made…honest!
In reply to samantha.n:

> The questionnaire is completely anonymous

I don't mind about that. I just thought I could foresee the possibility of you assessing results and saying "surprisingly many respondents ranked such and such as low on the importance scale blah blah etc etc", when in reality the survey allowed them no choice but to do so!
samantha.n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

Thanks - This is really interesting as it suggest to me that the avalanche forecast is of use to you and has the potential to help you select the best options for a successful day out in the mountains...
 NottsRich 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Is that a surprise?
 heavy 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

I have completed it Sam and put it on my Blog - is it on Twitter?

Regards Heavy
 pass and peak 28 Jan 2016
In reply to samantha.n:

Done

Worth contacting the SAIS as they have a world of data on their website usage etc, plus they can point you to other study's that's been done that might be useful for your for your dissertation!
samantha.n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to heavy:

Come on Heavy - even using a forum is stretching my social media skills - tweeting would just about end me! But thanks for putting it on your blog and for supplying your fantastic research!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...