UKC

Cotswolds Mail Order Ice Axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malpractise 28 Jan 2016
Just tried to order some ice axes through Cotswolds; their Custom Services says its against the law to post them which seem odd as most other companies seem to be able to do it.

Anyone else had a similar problem?
In reply to Malpractise:
No I had some delivered by Lyon.
Don't know about Cotswold though.

Does seem a bit silly!
Post edited at 14:54
Removed User 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I've had axes from EliteMountainSupplies before and had another couple of pairs by post from second hand sellers.

Not sure why you'd buy from Cotswolds in the first place to be honest, I don't know any store that charges more than they do.
OP Malpractise 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:
Cotswold have good rates and tax free for forces overseas, hence the delivery. And I've got a load of vouchers to spend!
Post edited at 15:08
Removed User 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

If you meant posting them outside the UK that would be a crucial bit of info, you can ignore my post if that's what you mean cause I'm talking about mainland UK..
OP Malpractise 28 Jan 2016

Its British Forces Post Office, all mail gets posted to a UK postcode, bagged up, put on a plane and sent over here. It doesn't go international mail as you are suggesting.

Cotswold don't deliver axes through the mail, irrespective of where they are going.
Post edited at 15:17
 eltankos 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I ordered a DMM Cirque through Cotswold a couple of years ago. Definitely got it through the mail then. Took them fecking ages though.

BFPO mail is only handled by Royal Mail and then HM Forces mail services, regardless of where it goes around the workd; it is classed as UK mail (and prices are the same as UK mail).
 NottsRich 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I bought axes from another shop a few weeks ago. Posted to me no problems.
 leon 1 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:
I suspect that some of the replies saying that they had axes delivered by mail in fact had them delivered by Parcelforce rather than Royal Mail. Royal Mail have a size (60cm max) and weight limitation. For BFPO that weight limit is 2kg.
Post edited at 16:15
m0unt41n 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I bought a pair of ice axes which were sent from Germany, they were sent with one of the couriers, don't remember which.
 Timmd 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

Guess you could ring and ask if you could arrange a courier to post it to the BPF postcode?
 pass and peak 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I know they wouldn't post me a climbing knife the other week, but axes? sounds like some over zealous person in service being a bit PT, got some from Total access last year no probs, there again my new mixed picks haven't arrived yet!
 ScottTalbot 29 Jan 2016

Snow & Rock?
 GrantM 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I've had axes delivered from V12, if shops are selling axes on their websites they must be delivering them.
 Jenny C 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

Could be that the courier they use (eg Royal Mail) consider axes to be dangerous goods so refuse to transport them - each courier will have their own definitions.

Also they may have decided that the only way they can confidently avoid selling to under 18's is to only sell age restricted items (eg knives and axes) is in person where they can ask for ID - other shops will have procedures in place to ensure they comply.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Malpractise:

I've had axes sent by mail from Cotswold before, but it was over 23 years ago so their policies may have changed by now!

Was surprised to find recently that Amazon have no qualms about sending camping gas through the mail.
 neilwiltshire 29 Jan 2016

They will price match any online price you find in Europe, including sale prices.
Removed User 29 Jan 2016
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Sorry, that doesn't redeem them in the slightest in my eyes. If their base prices weren't like 25% above everyone else to begin with it might make a difference. I've got a 20% discount there because of the gym I climb at and their prices are still easily beaten by other retailers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...