UKC

Package Holidays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 29 Jan 2016
We were never much in to package holidays as a family and though a combination being quite happy with holidays in the UK some years and plans abroad not really fitting in with package deals, I've only done a few as an adult. A week in Greece, a Ski trip and a City Break.

I had always assumed that they offered good value though i.e. a flight, transfer and hotel or apartment cheaper than I could get them booking independently, but this certainly doesn't seem to be the case in the school holidays.

I just booked 8 days in Barcelona for 3 of us in August, for £500 less than the cheapest package deal I could find (for 7 days) and with much better accommodation.

Is this typical? Or have we just found an unusual example?
 ByEek 29 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I am sure it is about right. But then you have just gone through the hassle yourself. When you arrive at the accommodation to find it was a scam, you are on your own. Similarly, if the airline goes bust before you fly, you are on your own. Nothing wrong with DIY holidays but some folks just don't want the hassle and want that extra cover and peace of mind you get with a tour operator.
OP The New NickB 29 Jan 2016
In reply to ByEek:

I'm not sure it is extra hassle, flights are flights, you have to choose accommodation, but you would with a package. So the only extra hassle is making two bookings rather than one.

I guess there are additional risks not being ABTA covered, but a few precautions like travel insurance and booking with a credit card should cover most of those issues.

I know transfers can be an issue, but fortunately transfers from El Prat to Barcelona are cheap and easy.
 ByEek 29 Jan 2016

I'm sure you are right. But the problem I face is the sheer volume of choice. Whenever we have booked a package holiday, we walk into the shop and half an hour later we are smiling in anticipation of something to look forward to.

We have just booked a cottage in Wales for a spring break with my wife's sisters family. It was the result of several weeks pouring over holiday let after holiday let, in-depth phone conversations about the pros and cons of each one, trip advisor reviews, you name it. What a faff. Thankfully I didn't get involved in this one but have in the past. I hate it. Would much rather have someone tell me something is good and just go for it.
 flopsicle 29 Jan 2016

I think long haul can be very different. After travelling to Sri Lanka I made friends there and went back alone 3 times, all 3 trips were cheaper as a package than as a flight only. I would usually dump the hotel for at least half the stay.

I basically used them for a cheap flights but didn't buy into the scaremongering about any local businesses that boosts their own products and keeps tourist money out of the visited countries. Where you can hit the boggers and run I think it's all good (companies not countries!).
In reply to flopsicle:

That's interesting. Thinking about it, I have forgotten I went to Las Vegas on a cheap package, where the flight and four nights accommodation was cheaper than I could get the flights.
 Trangia 29 Jan 2016

I travel to South Africa a lot and always arrange my own itinerary, flights, car hire, B&Bs/apartments, etc.

Generals it works out at about half what travel package holidays cost.

However I think bargains for European package holidays come into their own if you do a very last minute booking. eg Went to Crete for £175 each which included flight, self catering apartment and car hire booked as a last minute bargain the day before. I had a similar weeks skiing holiday, again booked the day before, all inclusive including lift pass at La Plagne for £200 each.

You can pick up last minute bargains on the basis that if they don't sell they get nothing. You do, however need to be flexible and available at the drop of a hat. Not everyone can do that, especially with a family. You can also be more flexible if you are self employed.
 Scarab9 29 Jan 2016

I could go into intricate detail (worked in the travel industry a long time though in the tech side now) but in short it's market forces. Published flights have staggered pricing across a range with generally tourist travellers getting higher fares the more seats get booked up, but the range does move upwards during school holidays as standard. Charter flights work similarly dependant on season and availability but are unconnected and the companies tend to have more flexibility as they own both hotel and airline.

You also need to take into account availability is linked to popularity - unsociable hours flights wlll tend to be cheaper, while packages may be based on flights (usually charter) which run at more sociable hours as they're selling more to families.

essentially if you're looking for a 'school holidays type trip' during the school holidays you're in a different market to someone who's not.

As for whether travel agents (as in nipping in the shop rather than self booking) are worth the extra money - they will charge more because the resources put in to making your booking are greater, and it's not just the hassle, it can be their expertise which, trust me, can be valuable. But they come in all shapes and sizes and there's ones that are pointless and there are ones that are brilliant.
The biggest way they make money I think at this point is simply that there is so much choice that people are overwhelmed. Going to a Travel Agent they will tend to have a set number of choices (even if it's just down to personal knowledge as opposed to available packages - it's likely they'll jump straight to options that they've been asked to push, have been to themselves, or simply that stand out in the system for some reason....oh and which ones are offering the most commission!). But having the choices narrowed can be helpful if you'res spoiled for choice so yo ucome out feeling like all the decisions have been made easier.
In reply to Scarab9:

The flights are at really good times, but staying the extra day did make them several hundred pounds cheaper combined.

It is the first time I have had to worry about travelling abroad in school holidays, the difference is significant.

My Mum and stepdad actually own a travel agents and tour operator business (they are currently in Vietnam with a group), so I can get package holidays cheaper than most, plus lots of advice, but with quite a few trips I've done, even with them taking no commission, it is cheaper for me to just book stuff online.
JMGLondon 29 Jan 2016

I've used package holidays for the flights because you can get cracking last minute deals - mainly for running / climbing trips in Europe. Just done my own thing from the airport until the return flight.

My wife's parents have always gone on package holidays - they can't really conceive of planning it all yourself. Reckon it's a generational thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...