UKC

how much to spend on wheels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 30 Jan 2016
I've got a Giant TCR 3 and the factory back wheel clicks and pops constantly where the spokes move against each other and the nipples move in the rim holes. This is really driving me insane and I'm looking for a new back wheel or pair as it seems a lot cheaper per wheel to buy pairs.

Any idea how much should I look to spend to get something reasonable?

The bike is nothing that special and I'm not looking for anything special, just a wheel of equal or better weight/quality than the original that doesn't annoy the hell out of me.

Mooncat 30 Jan 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-wh-6800-clincher-road-wheelset...

Hard to beat these for the price, they're more than decent all rounders and reliable as well.
 Strachan 31 Jan 2016

The ultegra wheels are great, I use them on one of my bikes, but it is worth saying that they don't have sealed bearings so do need servicing now and again. For the same sort of price it might be worth looking at a pair of Mavic Aksiums, or similar. I had a pair of Aksiums on my 'winter bike', mistreated them and used them loads for hilly riding, still lasted 4 years before I decided they'd had it (rims were very worn, spokes a bit rattly, but nothing had actually failed on them), and they got through at least 3 cassettes that I can think of. Highly recommended anyway.
Rigid Raider 31 Jan 2016

Yes, Mavic Aksiums or entry-level Ksyriums, excellent wheels.

If you don't want to spend quite that much, the fulcrum 5s are excellent. There is also a slightly cheaper 7 which is a bit heavier.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-alloy-clincher-wheelset/?lang=e...
OP gethin_allen 31 Jan 2016

Thanks all. I didn't really want to break the £200 barrier but the aksium o fulcrum 5s look tidy.
Are campagnolo scirocco wheels any good? They're a similar price and look properly sexy (the most important bit obviously)
 The New NickB 31 Jan 2016
Fulcrum and Campagnolo are the same wheels, but branded differently with Fulcrum generally slightly cheaper. I think the 5 is the same as the Vento. Can't comment on those specific wheels, but I run Fulcrums (Nite Zero) on my best bike and love them.
Post edited at 10:18
 Dark-Cloud 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Only problem is that Mavic freehubs appear to be made of cheese, had a few pairs and have always ended up in the bin after a few years.

I find Fulcrum are a better wheel than Mavic.
 Michael-H 31 Jan 2016

These get good reviews and seem well made for the money...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.h...

Was thinking of getting a pair myself when mine are ready.
 felt 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Michael-H:

> Only problem is that Mavic freehubs appear to be made of cheese

For some, the ratcheting noise of Mavic hubs when freewheeling is quite an irritant too. I know it is for me. The OP might consider RS81 C24s.
 ianstevens 31 Jan 2016

Sounds to me like you just need t get your existing wheel fixed and re-tensioned. However, if you're after an excuse to buy new wheels, then that's not the way to go.
 Brass Nipples 31 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Sounds to me like you just need t get your existing wheel fixed and re-tensioned. However, if you're after an excuse to buy new wheels, then that's not the way to go.

I was going to say that, why not just fix the wheels yourself? Won't take more than a morning to do.
OP gethin_allen 31 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

I was thinking this initially but, I had a go at them before and this hasn't helped. I'm no pro wheel building genius but I have built a couple of mtb wheels. Maybe a shop could do better.
 tim000 31 Jan 2016

good site for keeping up to date on bargains http://buy-direct-online.co.uk/cycling-bargains.php
 mike123 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Mooncat:
The OH really batters wheels and has had aksiums, fulcrum 5 ( or possibly 7s ) that came with her roady and I put those ultegras on about a year ago . I reckon the ultegras are a much better wheel than the others , and she hasn't managed to break them yet , which given her inability to understand that road bike means well ....bike to be ridden on the erm ....road,
OH " can you look at my back brakes they making a rubbing noise "
Mike looking at mangled back rim " blooming Eck , which way did you ride home ?"
OH " just the usual. but with a few short cuts"
 stouffer 31 Jan 2016

I have the CX version of the Scirocco which have been fault free for the past year and a half. A little twitchy in a side wind like. A steal at the price Wiggle have them at currently. They do look awesome (and match my black and red CAADX) but close up the graphics are just stickers on a matte surface and look a bit cheap.
 ianstevens 31 Jan 2016

Possibly - after all they're pros. However, if you want an excuse for new wheels (and who doesn't???) then it's perfect
 cousin nick 01 Feb 2016

I bought a pair of Ksyrium Equipes as my best wheels a couple years ago. On the first ride there were all kinds of 'tings', 'clicks' etc. The solution was to spray all the spoke crossovers and hub ends of the spokes with a silicone lubricant (eg. Ambersil or the WD-40 silicone equivalent).
No more noise!

N
OP gethin_allen 01 Feb 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

I've tried lubricating everything but it works for about 10 miles and then goes back to normal.
 Escher 01 Feb 2016

Have you tried greasing the end caps?
 LastBoyScout 01 Feb 2016

I'm about to wear out my second set of Bontrager "Race" wheels - never had any problems with them for commuting and training in terms of spokes, although I've replaced the cartridge bearings once per set, I think.
 chris fox 01 Feb 2016

I've got a pair of these on my bike for winter/training wheels, they're superb

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs610-road-wheelset/rp-prod12153...

Only issue is as being a tubeless ready rim putting tyres on is a bit of a fight as they are a tight fit. Get some Bontrager levers from Evans for £3.
OP gethin_allen 01 Feb 2016

So the fulcrum 5s seem to be the top contenders, anyone know if the 2016 models with the wider rims work ok with 23mm tyres? they state 25-32 mm tyre size.

A Mavic mechanic at the ToB a few years ago told me I had the QR skewer too tight when I described a similar set of noises.

He said just push lever closed with 2 fingers. If you can't do it the skewer is too tight.

I tried that with my wheels and the noise stopped.

Might not be your issue, but worth a try.

Rigid Raider 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Mavic freehubs are an excellent, easily-serviced design; they just need regular maintenance to avoid the Mavic howl of death.
OP gethin_allen 20 Feb 2016

I bought some fulcrum racing 5 LG wheels in the end, I've yet to ride them thanks to the terrible weather and a cold that refuses to go away but my initial feelings are a bit disappointing: the wheels are over 100g heavier than their claimed weight, the bearings are a bit gritty and the stickers look like they came out of a cereal box.
 Brass Nipples 20 Feb 2016

> Mavic freehubs are an excellent, easily-serviced design; they just need regular maintenance to avoid the Mavic howl of death.

So pretty shit but easy to service. You should not need to regularly service hubs. They should last a good 25,000 miles or more between services.

Removed User 20 Feb 2016
In reply to gethin_allen: Don't they usually quote weights without skewers?
OP gethin_allen 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

They do but this is not the source of the discrepancy, it appears that the shimano compatible freehub is heavier than the campag freehub, fulcrum don't bother to tell you about this and prefer to quote the smaller number because it sells better. The front wheel is almost exactly as claimed but the rear is closer to 1 kg rather than the 892 g claimed.
 radar 21 Feb 2016

Aksiums are nice. Had a few pairs which i have ridden all year round. Stood up to abuse and neglect. Eventually retried due to rim wear.
I looked at the next step up Kysriums, was advised against it by my lbs (who I trust): they argued that whilst nice, they weren't sufficiently that much better than Aksiums for the price hike. They argued that Kysrium Elites were where the Kysrium range got good, and worth the expense. I've got a pair on my good bike and they are really nice, much faster wheelset than the Aksiums. (Or my unscientific test and comparison was bobbins)

Thought about getting some handbuilt wheels say Open Pro on 105? Infinitely rebuildable, not as expensive as you might expect. I've got some 517 ceramics on Hope Tiglide hubs on my mtb, which are absolutely brill, had hubs rebuilt and rear relaced with new spokes once in their 14 year lifetime. Stunning set of wheels.
madmonky 21 Feb 2016

Buy a set of hope hoops on the new pro 4 hubs. They will outlast the bike and you won't be disappointed.
(Or just tighten the spokes on your current wheel?)
Rigid Raider 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> So pretty shit but easy to service. You should not need to regularly service hubs. They should last a good 25,000 miles or more between services.

The HUBS use standard cartridge bearings so can't be serviced.

The FREEHUBS on Mavic wheels need regular servicing especially as they wear but it's a simple design and easy to dismantle and reassemble. Servicing consists of cleaning and reassembling with plenty of light oil.
 PeterM 07 Mar 2016

Cero AR 24's or AR 30's from Cycle Division

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...