UKC

Terry Wogan RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 31 Jan 2016
Very sad news this morning. An icon of our age
 Siward 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Lemmy, Bowie, Rickman and now Wogan.

Sad times...
 Yanis Nayu 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Just heard. It's made me feel really sad - he was a warm and funny chap and a cracking broadcaster. I loved the Janet and John skits he did on the breakfast show. Worth googling if you didn't hear them.
OP Trangia 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Siward:

Since hearing the news Terry's rendering of the "Cornish Floral Dance" keeps running through my mind! I shall always remember him for that......
 Indy 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Siward:

> Lemmy, Bowie, Rickman and now Wogan.

All cancer
Gone for good 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

He had some career.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Wogan

My particular favourite was Blankety Blank.
It was so bad but it was so funny and had some great guests. My grandparents loved him.
andymac 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

He was great on R2 in the morning.

In a slightly bonkers way ,he seemed to end up in a mad fit of hysterics,regularly ,every morning.

A natural behind a microphone ,and in front of the camera.

I'm not a harbinger(I hope) ,but with regards Celebs passing on,2016 already has an Epic feel about it.
 felt 31 Jan 2016
In reply to andymac:

In the age of mass media, there are simply more celebs than ever before. I expect that in the future there will be days when five or so "huge" household names will pass away.

Ah ha so next time I am fighting through a plantation in the dark I will have no one to curse.
 johnwright 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I used to listen to him on a morning during the drive to work. He was so funny, I don't know how I managed not to crash the van while listening to his "Janet and John" stories. He was the best presenter on UK television and will be greatly missed by me and coutless others. RIP Terry
In reply to Name Changed 34:

He was only following a trend.

Dax H 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Such a shame, a genuinely funny and nice man.
Him as guest host on never mind the buzzcocks was exceptional
 Thrudge 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I remember him for this:

youtube.com/watch?v=uGjiKrMO-7I&
 DerwentDiluted 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Name Changed 34:

There's still Sir Cliff, Dame Shirley and Nick Faldo to have a rant at!
In reply to Trangia:

Bloody hell, not a good year for icons.

His gentle piss taking of eurovision always made me smile.

RIP
 Indy 31 Jan 2016
In reply to felt:

> In the age of mass media

It's surprising to me at least that in an age of information overload that the first you hear of a celebrity having a disease is when its reported they're dead.
Lusk 31 Jan 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

You've missed McCartney off that list.
 Richard Smith 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I had the pleasure of meeting him at his house.

I worked with helicopters and had to put landing lights out in the garden as he was arriving back after dark. I arrived in day time and his Wife was the perfect hostess. When Terry had arrived home, after being on the Radio in the morning, going to Northampton to do an after dinner speech for the Air Ambulance charity then going to Harrogate for a book signing and dealing with us mortals all day he still had the decency to invite me in for a coffee before I departed; I did decline the offer as he had been up since god knows when and his wife had dinner on the table.

A great man and a very sad loss, Children in Need will never be the same.

R.I.P. Sir Terry.
 felt 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Indy:

Disease is basically a private matter, and these people (I imagine that you're referring to Bowie and Rickman, as well as Tezza) weren't horribly garrulous social media types. Some things, assuming there are no betrayals, will always evade the nets of the information trawlers, although Henning Mankell, Wilko Johnson, Clive James, to name but three, made/make their diseases highly visible.
 Cú Chullain 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

He used to pop down to watch London Irish play every Saturday for years. He was always treated as one of boys down the clubhouse and one of the places where he could chill out with a few pints and not be bothered for autographs or photos. Was also a regular at Thomond Park in Limerick to watch Munster play.

His piss taking hosting of Eurovision was always great fun.
 Rob Exile Ward 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:
There's a paragraph in Brian Clough's autobiography where he describes driving to work at Forest on the A52 crying with laughter at Terry Wogan's morning show - he implies that it was pretty much as good as it gets. Great guy; hugely intelligent and well read, extraordinarily humane, someone whose judgement (however subtly conveyed) you could rarely fault.
Post edited at 19:31
Removed User 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I always chuckled at his use of the phrase "the current Lady Wogan".
 Chris Harris 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

RIP Terry, a sad loss.

I once posted a joke of his on the board & the mods pulled it, which must be regarded as an accolade of some sort.
 Mick Ward 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Richard Smith:

> ...he still had the decency to invite me in for a coffee before I departed; I did decline the offer as he had been up since god knows when and his wife had dinner on the table.

The true measure of a person, as distinct from a professional - that they treat all (even if there's no pay-off) with the same courtesy, decency and humanity.

Thank you for posting this. He was a consummate professional - but you always wonder what people are like personally. The acid test, of course, is meeting them. Obviously we all have our good and bad days. But even on bad days, decent people still try to do their best.

He gave an awful lot of pleasure to an awful lot of people - a good use of a life.

Mick

Big Ger 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

RIP Sir Terry. I was never a fan, but he did more good than most.

This is pretty bad though...

youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y4HufJ1oE&
 Steve Perry 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> I always chuckled at his use of the phrase "the current Lady Wogan".

Or "The luckiest woman in Ireland"
In reply to Richard Smith:

> Children in Need will never be the same.

Very true. The charity will be thousands of Pounds better off every year for not having to pay him while everybody else connected with the event give their time and effort for free.

jon 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Well that didn't take too long, did it? Well done.
 Roadrunner5 01 Feb 2016
In reply to johnwright:

Great your post Is disliked..

Through my Phd he started off many mornings in the lab, you never knew what he'd be On about. I loved his tangents. It's a good sign when some is so high profile for so long with so little bad press. Always came across as a top guy.
 sbc_10 01 Feb 2016

> Very true. The charity will be thousands of Pounds better off every year for not having to pay him while everybody else connected with the event give their time and effort for free.

So everybody connected with Children in Need works for free that day ????... camera crews, studio managers, production assistants ...... and has done so for the last 20 odd years ?? wow..... I never knew that.

I never met him but my mum did, in fact she waited on him in a hotel many years ago. Said he was charming, polite and left a very good tip. I'm sticking to my mum's view on this one.
 Big Ger 01 Feb 2016

> TERRY Wogan will this year host Children In Need for FREE for the third time.Sir Terry was criticised when it emerged he’d been paid £1,300 an hour to front the charity appeal on BBC1. He always insisted he didn’t know about the fee — and so has waived it for the past two years.

Indy 01 Feb 2016
In reply to felt:

> Disease is basically a private matter, and these people (I imagine that you're referring to Bowie and Rickman, as well as Tezza) weren't horribly garrulous

For ordinary people yes but when even ZZ list celebs are having sex/diet stories splashed in papers and magazines then £250 to a doctors receptionist for an exclusive on A listers trip to get treatment is fair game.
 felt 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Indy:

Which is why I wrote "assuming no betrayals". Isn't it nice that money is not always the supreme value?
 Roadrunner5 01 Feb 2016
In reply to felt:

People also publicize their cancers for awareness..
In reply to Indy:

> For ordinary people yes but when even ZZ list celebs are having sex/diet stories splashed in papers and magazines then £250 to a doctors receptionist for an exclusive on A listers trip to get treatment is fair game.

Of course it's not f***ing 'fair game'! It would be absolutely disgusting behaviour on both sides.

What on God's green earth can you be thinking? You think it's 'fair game' to bribe people to tell the newspapers that people are ill?!

jcm
 ben b 01 Feb 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I'm hoping it was irony, John.

Well, ever the optimist...

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...