UKC

Trouser recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
19G 31 Jan 2016
Can anyone recommend me a pair of trousers for mountaineering? I'm hoping for something stretchy enough to climb/scramble in, and map pockets are a must. I'd like it if the lower legs could be detachable, and I'm trying to avoid anything cotton because of drying problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas along those lines?

Thanks for your help guys!
 Prof. Outdoors 31 Jan 2016
In reply to 19G:
If you find any with all of those attributes I want a set.

There are stretchy mountaineering trousers and there are non stretchy convertible trousers. The combination of stretch and convertible is quite rare.

Decathlon used to make them. Did not think they would last long and you would need to be tall and thin to wear them.

Nearest that might fit the bill are these Montane ones below.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/terra-stretch-converts-p289461
Hitch n Hike had them in last year as well.

I have the lighter weight normal non stretch Montane converts which are fine for summer. In the stretch converts however, I found the fit was very poor and although stretchy fabric they were constricting at the knee. Didn't buy them as I would have had to go up a size for freedom of movement.

I do use North Face converts which are non stretchy but very tough material and fine for rock climbing. Not sure if this model.
http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/p96627.html?_ignore_category=1

There are some very good non convertible trousers out there. Rab, Montane being my favourite brands. Would recommend trying them on as fit is crucial.

Good hunting
Post edited at 23:28
 Mr Trebus 01 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

ME ibex are great, but not convertible. You can unzip the lower leg and roll them up easily.

There is a single thigh pocket that can take a section of map, but not a whole OS.
 BnB 01 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:
I wear the Norrona Falketind Flex 1 pants. Lightweight but sturdy, breathable but weather resistant, stretchy and comfortable with a good hip pocket for map and an insert pocket for phone. Not convertible but can be rolled up to below the knee very easily. Also available in funky colours instead of black and mud and available online at the surprising (for Norrona) price of under £80 (RRP is £119)

I'd lose your attachment to convertible trousers (heavier, chafing from the zips etc) and put a pair of lightweight shorts in your rucksac on warm days.
Post edited at 07:24
 iksander 01 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-Mens-Hiking-Trekking-Trousers/dp/B00KM1G9QQ

You can zip the bottoms off without removing boots which is a big plus
19G 02 Feb 2016
Prof. Outdoors, Mr Trebus, BnB, iksander, thanks very much for your help! Think I'm just going to roll the legs up, but there are some good suggestions there, thank you
 bouldery bits 02 Feb 2016
In reply to BnB:

> I'd lose your attachment to convertible trousers (heavier, chafing from the zips etc) and put a pair of lightweight shorts in your rucksac on warm days.

I have a pair of lightweight Patagonia boardies that are great for this a they pack in to their own pocket.
19G 02 Feb 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

Thanks very much for the suggestion, bouldery bits. I do get very panicky about having my survival tin attached at all times though - do they have a pocket that buttons down?
 bouldery bits 02 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

Errr... They have a zip?
 Billhook 03 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

There are numerous other threads covering trousers for winter climbing et al.

But....I'd love to know what a survival tin contains for the UK.........?
19G 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:
Thanks Dave, I'll have a look around the site. Was just struggling a bit to find what I was looking for, as I was being a bit pedantic. Thank you for your help though.

Re the tin - it's been further afield than the UK for sure, but in this country it's really only the first aid stuff I'd imagine needing in a pinch. There are waterproof matches, a button compass and a little knife that might come in handy too; but it's mostly the bandages and stuff that make me want to keep it close to hand. I've been in some difficult situations in the past with no help to hand, so it makes me feel better to have the tin somewhere where I can't cock up and drop it off a cliff or anything.

Thanks again for your suggestion to look at other posts on the site Dave - I'll have a search through.
Post edited at 12:26
paraffin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

For mountaineering always wear brown trousers - it covers up any potential embarrassment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...